Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Did you ride the HD and 66 back to back and where are you located that they had 66's in all sizes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I want to hear some ride reports! I am waiting for my order now and need something to hold me over so I don't go buy an Ibis Mojo HD.
    I demoed the SB66 up at breckenridge, a short 1 hour ride. My regular ride is a pivot firebird.

The main thing I remember is the suspension felt very compliant on the uphill, but it didn't seem to impact pedaling efficiency. On a few steep ups the pedaling felt really solid, not mushy. When pedaling over small bumps and etc the bike absorbed them maybe better than any bike I've been on.

Standing and pedaling induced a lot of motion in the suspension for me. If this design really has separated pedaling forces from rear suspension action, then I guess it makes sense. In some bikes pedaling makes the rear suspension stiffen up, so you don't get much motion standing. Hard pedaling balances out with the big weight shifts. On the other hand that would make such designs less compliant under hard pedaling too.

For a trailbike I think the standing issue isn't that big a deal. On steep loose climbs I usually want to stay seated, standing up makes me lose traction. The bike really seemed to do well in those short steep power situations, so I don't think it has an efficiency problem.

The bike seemed great on the downhill. Geometry was good with the 67 degree head angle and I think a 150mm fork on the front. I didn't get into any serious bumpy stuff, just small rocks and etc. The SB handled all that as easily as you'd expect.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    nice bike ortho,
    size and weight?
    Thanks bp. It's a large. 27.6 pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Standing and pedaling induced a lot of motion in the suspension for me.
    Kinda surprised by this. I had the opposite experience. 25% sag?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I left it how the yeti guys set it up, it seemed to be about 25% or so but it could have been a little more or less. It felt pretty good so I didn't change it. My experience with standing was about 2 minutes climbing a paved road looking down at the shock, so maybe a little different from typical offroad use.

zombie freerider
    Can someone tell me the seatpost collar size? I'm looking to go to a clamp instead of the salsa qr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags View Post
    Can someone tell me the seatpost collar size? I'm looking to go to a clamp instead of the salsa qr.
    35.0 I think.

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY View Post
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Just curious, with such an exceptional build, why did you only opt for the 40 and not a 110 or even a CK?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    Just curious, with such an exceptional build, why did you only opt for the 40 and not a 110 or even a CK?
    I opted for the 40 too.. what is the point in the 110? other than costing 3x more?

They do the same thing?

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    I opted for the 40 too.. what is the point in the 110? other than costing 3x more?

They do the same thing?
    He is already using XTR and XX level components... seems like a 40 would be skimping!

mtbr member
    In terms of quality and longevity, the 40 is just as good, if not better, than the CK. It's an exceptional headset.
    Maintain internal heights.

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22 View Post
    In terms of quality and longevity, the 40 is just as good, if not better, than the CK. It's an exceptional headset.
    heh! I don't doubt that one bit!
    Just kinda missing my point... must be overkill that I am only running an XT groupo with a 110 as my headset. I woulda kept my 40, but it didn't come in all blue like the 110 did.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    He is already using XTR and XX level components... seems like a 40 would be skimping!
    It is called budgeting for things that are actually important.

XTR shifters or cranks do have tangible performance benefits (better multishift, lower Q-factor and weight). 110 over 40 does not.

And CK? Well, at least they now offer the "griplock" split ring, so it does not suck as much on longer travel forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Did you ride the HD and 66 back to back and where are you located that they had 66's in all sizes?
    I only got a "parking lot" ride in on the SB. I have ridden the HD before, so once I get mine built up (and get a chainguide mount) I can compare the two.

Ute CIty Cyles in Aspen has all three built up.

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It is called budgeting for things that are actually important.
    pffft! when the budget is floating above the $6000 range... does $80 bucks extra really make a difference?!

mtbr member
    pffft! when the budget is floating above the $6000 range... does $80 bucks extra really make a difference?!
    It only makes a difference if it adds bling only then is it worth the 80$ more. I wanted plain black anyway so went with the 40.

bog
    mtbr member
    Gotta agree with you on this one. Kind of like cloth seats in a Lexus. They work just fine but don't look quite right.

King or 110 for me.
    Last edited by bog; 07-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

Axe
    Custom User Title
    $80 is $80 independent of where it is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Gotta agree with you on this one. Kind of like cloth seats in a Lexus. They work just fine but don't look quite right.
    I hate leather seats. Was very bummed when I could not order my 3-series, and R-calss later without that crap.

40 series looks and works just fine. King - before the griplock upgrade (I guess patent expired) - was inferior.

mtbr member
    The 40 is a great headset, and I didn't see a need to spend more. if the 110 or CK was signifiacantly lighter, then maybe I would have considered it furhter. Bottom line is that Cane Creek builds top notch products and the 40 series is one of them. 80 bucks puts another set of tires on her when I wear these out in 1 week of furious riding because I never want to quit riding this bike!!!!

Took it out on it's maiden voyage tonight, and it is everything they said it would be.

It's a game changer.

My build ended up being 29lbs on the nose. Pics to come, she's a looker for sure.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Speedmonkey, thats what I thought on the CK 40 vs 110. I don't have xtr top of line in my build but the frame + fork + DHX RC4 + chip kit + 12x142 axle + i9 wheelset was enough money I didn't see any reason for the 110 headset.

Where are you guys getting your sb-66's from that have them already? The wait is killing me! ( ordered June 20th )

Can't wait for more pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Jenson... ordered first week of July.

bog
    mtbr member
    I don't have mine yet but Jenson has shipped it already and I should see it in a few days.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    From my understanding, there is no 110 lower cup in the size needed on the 66.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-343...ed-zs5630.aspx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    There is. I have a Cane Creek 110 on my SB-66

Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast