Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieNZ View Post
    I am still waiting for my frame to arrive and have been thinking about the brake cable routing as mentioned by EONICKS...

Can anyone see a problem with simply unbolting the upper axle on the rear linkage and feeding the cable in this way?
    You have to unbolt the upper axle and the rear shock bolts. Pretty easy....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Black SB66's available w/XTR build

to anyone looking for black SB's with the XTR build, hucknroll has them in all sizes. I begged them to sell me the frame alone, but they wouldn't. good news for anyone looking for one w/full XTR! black ones are hard to find. They also have a small and XL in lime with the Enduro build. looks like I'll miss a lot of the riding season waiting on a medium frame. shouldn't have sold my Blur first

mtbr member
    Nice find for someone that hasn't ordered yet, and BS at the same time.

Getting a little annoyed that these online dealers have unsold bikes in stock(or get them ahead) while I wait and wait..till who knows when for the one i ordered from lbs 7 weeks ago.

I also shouldn't have sold my bike first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Nice find for someone that hasn't ordered yet, and BS at the same time.

Getting a little annoyed that these online dealers have unsold bikes in stock(or get them ahead) while I wait and wait..till who knows when for the one i ordered from lbs 7 weeks ago.

I also shouldn't have sold my bike first.
    Same here, sold a stumpy 2007 3 week ago, and now I have to wait until 21 octuber...
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

aka...appBLING72

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by emeterio View Post
    Same here, sold a stumpy 2007 3 week ago, and now I have to wait until 21 octuber...

Sold my '11 575 the day after the SB was unveiled and ordered that day from a LBS and still haven't gotten it. Been told middle of August for medium lime green.

At least the reviews from people getting them are coming in positive which hopefully will make this wait all worth it.

"Patience grasshopper"

My build Spec:

Medium lime green
    '12 Fox 36 Van Kashima Coating
    '12 Fox RP23 Float Kashima (will get PUSH'd when mod is available)
    Thompson 50 & 70mm stem
    Easton Carbon cnt Dh bars 28"
    ODI ruffian lock on grips
    SRAM XO shifter
    Cane Creek 110 inset headset
    Hope special edition(black) Mono M4 183-f, 160-r (floating rotors)
    Rockshox Reverb adjustable seatpost
    WTB Laser V Ti saddle
    SRAM XO(blk) carbon cranks 170mm (ran as 1x10)
    Chris King Bottom Bracket (blk)
    MRP Lopes mini G2 chainguide
    '12 Crank bros Candy 3 pedals (blk)
    Home-brewed components 32T(blk)chainring (replaces crank spider)
    SRAM -PC 991 hollow pin chain
    SRAM XO POWERGLIDE 10sp cassette
    SRAM XO(blk) R derailleur 10sp
    Hadley(black) 20mm & 142 x 12 hubs laced to Stans Flow rims
    Continental Mountain King 2.4's Protection tires with Stans

Black and Lime theme. Can't wait to get it built. Pics and ride report will follow

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    most lbs suck ass. alway buy online. more discounts and no tax

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    most lbs suck ass. alway buy online. more discounts and no tax

Well actually this is an online seller that is out of state. So no sales tax and I got a great deal. But, I guess Yeti chose to deliver to it's biggest dealers instead of the order that orders came in. That sucks. Cause I know I was one if the first that ordered the day it came out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Well actually this is an online seller that is out of state. So no sales tax and I got a great deal. But, I guess Yeti chose to deliver to it's biggest dealers instead of the order that orders came in. That sucks. Cause I know I was one if the first that ordered the day it came out.
    well good luck. at least you are going to get one. i would love to get that frame.

zombie freerider
    Curious if SB-66 owners are getting a manual with the bike or frame? I don't see it up on Yeti's website yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags View Post
    Curious if SB-66 owners are getting a manual with the bike or frame? I don't see it up on Yeti's website yet.
    it came with a manual, but a generic one. Nothing specific to the SB-66

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yep, another one of those useless manuals. Waste of paper if you ask me.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

mtbr member
    "Yeti SB-66 the best bike in all the land"
    Last edited by cdiers; 08-09-2011 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My small SB-66 XO/X9 build just showed up from Hucknroll. Just waiting for my 160 fork to swap out the stock 150. I'm selling the 150 if anyone is interested. I'm 5'8'' and spoke with 3 different people at Yeti regarding what size to get. 2 out of the 3 recommended the small. I'm coming off a medium '07 yeti 575. I'll post a review here shortly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
    My small SB-66 XO/X9 build just showed up from Hucknroll. Just waiting for my 160 fork to swap out the stock 150. I'm selling the 150 if anyone is interested. I'm 5'8'' and spoke with 3 different people at Yeti regarding what size to get. 2 out of the 3 recommended the small. I'm coming off a medium '07 yeti 575. I'll post a review here shortly.
    awheeler, I could be keen on your forks as I am building my 66 up from frame.

PM me how much you are looking for

Richard

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I REALLY wanted the small white, but it won't be available in Aus till March...Have to settle for a black one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Out on the trail....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RICOCHETED View Post
    I REALLY wanted the small white, but it won't be available in Aus till March...Have to settle for a black one!
    March?? Really?? Is that because of the colour or size??

I've been given a timeframe of 8 weeks for an SB-66 thru a Sydney shop that I've purchased from before..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirium View Post

I've been given a timeframe of 8 weeks for an SB-66 thru a Sydney shop that I've purchased from before..
    When I went to pick up my new 575 last w/e, the wrench had a SB-66 frame upstairs, he brought it down for me to have a good look at. Gotta say, it looks good in the flesh, expect to see these hitting Sydney trails soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ^ if it ever stops raining...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    NZhumpy - Was that in Sydney? Had my large turq paid for at the end of June and still no date on it, seems like supply is hard to come by. What colour and size was that one? Itching to get out on it, though as you say if it ever stops raining.

mtbr member
    May 2011

It's the Colour. I'll be getting a black one in the next week or so. I wasn't going to wait till March for the bike.

mtbr member
    Trying to figure out what colour to go with.. Want black frame and black fork, and black fork looks standard on the US yeti site, but the SB-66 in the AMB mag review had a white fork with turq frame...

Can't have a black frame and white fork... that's just not the done thing..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I personally could never imagine owning a Yeti in anything other than the Team Color Turquoise--it just screams Yeti! Who cares what color the fork is.

mtbr member
    Forks with all the Yeti stock builds are black 150mm Fox FIT 32 RLC forks.(2012 w/Kashima Coating)

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Trying to figure out what colour to go with.. Want black frame and black fork, and black fork looks standard on the US yeti site, but the SB-66 in the AMB mag review had a white fork with turq frame...

Can't have a black frame and white fork... that's just not the done thing..
    I hear you. I got my frame on July 26 and put my white Marz 55 on it to start with because I wanted a Fox 36 Float but not in white! It took me a couple of weeks but I finally found a 2011 Float 36 in black but without the Kashima stanchions. The black fork looks awesome with the black frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrokenchain View Post
    I personally could never imagine owning a Yeti in anything other than the Team Color Turquoise--it just screams Yeti! Who cares what color the fork is.
    Black with black = S(tealth)B(ike)-66

Order placed..

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrokenchain View Post
    I would have been all over the turquoise if it was the true old school Yeti with the turquoise/yellow split. Classic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I would have been all over the turquoise if it was the true old school Yeti with the turquoise/yellow split. Classic!
    Spectrum in Colorado Springs does does custom powdercoat. The manager at my LBS has an ASR 7 he did the old school yellow/turq on it and the fork and it looks good.

Check them out

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EAITCH View Post
    will check with Yeti in the morning and see what their verbiage is so we have it straight. Basically the max is 160 from what the shop said.
    This is what I was told too. I would think it would be too slack with a 180 anyway, and a bit unbalanced with 150 rear. 65.9 is a great HA for all around riding with a bias towards DH. 17mm=1 degree so going with a 180 fork would set it at 64.5ish. I love slack bikes, but that's too slack for all around riding IMO. My nomad sits at 65.5 with a 180 and it's manageable on steep climbs but the front end floats a lot. Another degree slacker and it would be annoying on the ups, and the steering would be so slow it would be tough to negotiate slow tech terrain.

It's a bit odd that 180 voids the warranty because frame weight is basically the same as a nomad which is rated for a 180?

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dopler View Post
    Spectrum in Colorado Springs does does custom powdercoat. The manager at my LBS has an ASR 7 he did the old school yellow/turq on it and the fork and it looks good.

Check them out
    That would be a sick bike but for now I'm hanging with stealth build - black frame/black fork. I'm already way over my build budget and any more $$ would mean I have to go furniture shopping with my wife!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieNZ View Post
    NZhumpy - Was that in Sydney? Had my large turq paid for at the end of June and still no date on it, seems like supply is hard to come by. What colour and size was that one? Itching to get out on it, though as you say if it ever stops raining.
    Yep, Sydney, medium/black. It was the mechanics own bike so maybe he had the inside running.

mtbr member
    Oh I want the white fork.

I'm going black frame, white fork white rims. white seat. Orange bars/cranks/hubs/orange spank spike pedals.

My i9 Wheels just showed up.

I just need my frame! I was almost tempted to order the XL Lime from huckinroll because I'm tired of waiting but I'm going to keep waiting for the one I ordered.

i9's Enduro's

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Impulse purchased my large/black on Saturday from the UK importer. Build is a straightforward trail build with a lot of XTR right down to the wheels.

SB-66 black/large
    Fox 32 150 Fit RLC Kashima (white)
    Chris King headset (gold)
    Salsa fliplock (gold)
    Thomson X4 stem 70mm (may be too long)
    Easton Haven carbon bar
    XTR Shifters
    XTR Shadow plus rear mech
    XTR triple chainset 42/32/24
    XT cassette 11-32
    XT front mech
    XT chain
    XTR trail SPD pedals
    XTR trail wheels
    XTR trail brakes with 180/180 Ice Tec rotors
    Rock Shox Reverb
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.25 UST front
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 TL rear
    Grips Yeti Lock-on

Saddle for now is a Spesh Phenom SL that I had lying around.

Pics will follow when I've shortened the hoses - it is too shameful at the moment.

Loving the long, low and slack look. I'm coming off a tall and short 120mm bike (Whyte E-120) that is an exhilarating, sketchy and fast ride around the Afan (Wales) marked trails. I'm hoping the SB66 will be exhilarating, sketchy and faster. Spec began with the tyre choice and worked back, it has to roll fast, handle uphill hairpins and pump through the undulations on the cross-slope downs, so the spec is conservative on the fork and tyres. Its other use will be on the tight and twisty technical trails of the North Downs.

Can't wait to ride it this weekend.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow, nice build! Post a ride report and pics after your first few rips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finished my build and I've had a first roll around on it. You can definitely feel the acceleration when you hit the gas. I'll reserve comments until its had a proper break in.

In the meantime, here are the pictures:

gobsmacked Moderator
    wow! that is one hot bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Real nice build. How much does it weight?

Best, John

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very nice! What does it weigh in at?

wheelie king
    Awesome build, Petercarm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I haven't weighed it yet.first outing is tomorrow. Some tight technical single track will get thrown its way which will be am interesting test. Uphill and downhill I am fairly confident of what I am expecting, but if it shines in the massively techy stuff that makes up most of my riding then I'll know I've got am all-round bike.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    First ride is under my belt. It was all on familiar trails with an emphasis on twisty technical riding and running the same tracks more than once while I worked on the setup.

Gotta say I'm liking what I was feeling.

My start point had the rear far too sagged and it was unremarkable to pedal. It didn't look like there was much bob, but it was clear it wasn't doing what it was supposed to. It felt like a slack, lazy, long-travel bike that was easy to catch out on the techy bits. Adding air to the shock started making things happen - the pedalling improved without sacrificing the downhill manners and it started liking being pumped through the terrain. The fork took a bit more air too. I still had the feeling that the front wheel was a long way out in front and a couple of times it pattered out wide on flat corners. To fix this, I started taking spacers out underneath the stem to bring me forward on the bike and I worked on the rebound settings.

This is where things started to get really good and the long top tube proved an asset rather than an issue. I was riding hard and aggressively and was getting a really nice flow on the trails and a lot of confidence. I hammered into a downhill hairpin over a set of rooty steps and it just let me rip at it and then sort it out once I got into the thick of things. The hairpin itself was easy to negotiate and the front end felt supple and grippy. On the steep stuff it just flew. There were a few moments where I realised it was carrying indecent speed on the trail and making it very easy to do so.

Health warning. First ride reports and objectivity don't go hand in hand.

I'm deeply impressed at this point. I was looking for a long travel trail bike without compromising on too many of the things I like about riding my 120mm bike. I think I've still got a few improvements to make on the setup. Typical of a Fox fork, I'm not seeing full travel but I did see some pretty deep travel on the rear shock. It might be that the shock can still take some more air and ride a little bit higher, but the fork seems to be in the zone now so I wouldn't want to unbalance the ride.

I've slammed the stem down on top of the headset and this seems to tame the long front end of the bike. I could go with options to run a shorter stem but then I'd worry I'd not keep that front end working hard at all times.

The Fat Albert up front is probably the least convincing part of the setup. I may think about running a 2.4 tyre at some point.

The rear stays have picked up some heel rub marks. At least I know where to put the helicopter tape now.

The kit on the bike has all performed flawlessly. On my other bike I have Formula The Ones so I was a bit worried about the brakes. So far the XTR Trails have been good enough that I haven't really noticed them. Having gone with 180/180 it might be that I'm noticing the rears being a bit more snatchy than with the Formulas but there is definitely no lack of power. The Reverb is great too. I used to have a Maverick Speedball (non remote) but gave up on it because it had a layback seat clamp on a bike that needed in-line and, besides, the Bontrager style clamp always slipped giving a random angle of saddle each time I sat down. The Reverb is unobtrusively getting on with its job. There isn't any way to position the Reverb remote in a non-vulnerable position when matched with the XTR shifters/brakes, so I can't put the bike upside down on its bars. I'm sure that will annoy me longer term but it is a minor niggle for now.

I have just given it a very unofficial weigh-in and it pretty much matches my carbon 120mm bike at around about the 28lb mark (it is built solidly for a 120 bike with 819s and UST tyres). I also measured up some critical dimensions compared to the old bike: I have the reach (BB to bars) almost exactly the same between the two; the BB heights aren't too much different with the SB-66 measuring about 13.7 inches (very approximate). The front centre on the SB-66 is two inches longer than I am used to.

It got spotted by two riders in the car park who both knew exactly what they were looking at and came to have a good gawp and a bit of a ride around. They gave it too.

My first ride conclusion is that I can see what Yeti are getting at in saying it is a more aggressive ride. It is plenty slack enough with the 150mm fork on it that I'd not want anything longer for the riding I do. There are hints that the suspension is doing the clever stuff it is designed to do, but really I'm not equipped to comment except to say I'm enjoying the ride.

Looks much better now its been muddy:

mtbr member
    Sweet report. Thanks for the writeup.

What is that other bike in your garage? that things got a wild looking rear end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    There isn't any way to position the Reverb remote in a non-vulnerable position when matched with the XTR shifters/brakes, so I can't put the bike upside down on its bars. I'm sure that will annoy me longer term but it is a minor niggle for now.
    With my GD remote I keep the clamp a little loose so I can rotate the remote when I flip the bike over. May not be a good idea if you have carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    What is that other bike in your garage? that things got a wild looking rear end.
    That's a Whyte E-120. It has carbon main triangle, swingarm and links. It has the same Quadlink II design as the Marins but is a load stiffer. It is a solid piece of kit that can take some abuse but is a bit short, tall and steep and the pedalling efficiency is sag sensitive - it is a bit fussy to set up optimally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've only ridden our demo SB66 once but I concur with all of your findings. I found the stem needed to go pretty low. In regards to the air pressure, you will find that Yeti recommends 15 to 18% sag on the RP23. It is a truly amazing bike and I was so impressed with the pedalling that i'm going to race it in the Sport class category of our next local XC race!
    http://wembleycycles.com/ Yeti Cycles Dealer for Western Australia.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Last edited by chksix; 08-22-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: no matter...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperplane View Post
    I've only ridden our demo SB66 once but I concur with all of your findings. I found the stem needed to go pretty low. In regards to the air pressure, you will find that Yeti recommends 15 to 18% sag on the RP23. It is a truly amazing bike and I was so impressed with the pedalling that i'm going to race it in the Sport class category of our next local XC race!
    Can you confirm the 15-18% sag. I'd find 15-18 mm sag easier to believe. That would put you in the 23.6-28.3% range that seems much more conventional.

I'm always a bit wary of sag measurement because it is so dependent on where your weight is on the bike but a starting guideline is always useful.

mtbr member
    I don't have mine yet but all the reviews said 25%

mtbr member
    What size frame is suitable for someone 5ft 11 - 6ft?

Thanks

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    NM, wrong thread... sorry

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast