180mm Icetech Rotors Front and 160 Rear
    XO Silver derailleur and shifter
    XO Silver carbon crank
    33T Homebrew direct mount chainring
    11-36 Cassette
    Crossmax XL Wheelset
    Conti Trail King 2 tires

FrameSkin

Mallet pedals (might get some XTR trail)

Still not finished as I want to get a new set of wheels.
    What to get? I want at least a 21mm internal rim width and a weight of ~ 1600g.
    American classic AM wheels look like they might fit the bill but there does not seem to be a lot of information out there about them. Any one had any experience? E13 wheels also look interesting or and other options would be greatly appreciated.

Few other little extras coming.

Have not got a chance to ride it yet. Took it to Rotorua last weekend for maiden ride it but ended up in hospital before I got a chance. Week later and I'm out of hospital but have at least a month of recovery before I can ride. Very frustrating.
    I believe the Deville is a wise choice !!

Do you have the weight of the baby ?

Thanks.
    B

Zombie Uprising
    Quote Originally Posted by richie101 View Post
    Finally got my SB66 together.
    Have not got a chance to ride it yet. Took it to Rotorua last weekend for maiden ride it but ended up in hospital before I got a chance. Week later and I'm out of hospital but have at least a month of recovery before I can ride. Very frustrating.
    Hospital, really, what happened? Bike looks pristine and unscratched...
    Hope you have a good and speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Weighed it today 30.8 lb. I should be able to drop it a bit i think. Still got tubes in it, heavy pedals and uncut steerer. I like the idea of Ti bolts to even if it is over kill. Any one got any tips?

I got an infection in my knee and it formed an abscess. Very painful! In a knee brace for 10 days then I can start bending it but won't be riding for a while.

Video here of them pulling the gauze out of me knee if you want to see something gross.

Gauze strip being pulled out of knee. MAY OFFEND - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    how are you guys liking the switch technology?

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
    It works very well out of the box.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Seems to work supah-well on my '95, all uses. Two thumbs up. My bike is about the same weight as the 7" FS 26er (FSR-style Titus) it replaced, but the '95 climbs and descends better in general trail use. I think it handles the low-grade AM/FR stuff just as well -at least- and by that I mean minor jumps and drops 4' and below. Chunky-Stuff handling is much better, combo of suspension and wheel size I think.

mtbr member
    I had some issues with a dud shock, the loan shock whilst original away for warranty job proved to be way under damped (comp & rebound) so had Mojo custom tune for my "chunky" build

When got tuned shock found it to be a revaluation to the loan "std" shock. It holds up really well in mid stroke but still remains incredibly compliant to small bumps, especially noticeable whilst climbing. The rear end really is FULLY active under pedalling which is weird at first feeling like a flat tire at first the amount of traction you get but still incredibly efficient and stable. Forget propedal it just not needed unless you into storming pedal turns out of the saddle?

I am recovering from a nasty MTB accident back in April so have never had chance to really push the aggressive abilities of platform yet but I am so excited and looking forward to the day I can. This really is best full suss I ridden.
    Steed: Yeti SB-66

Support the Air Ambulance service in your region you never know when you might need it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good day to all,

Has anybody used this chain catcher device before? Does it work? This is the first time I am seeing this and I am still deciding on whether to install it or not...pls help.

Is this even a chain catcher device? Thanks.

mtbr member
    never seen before?

Support the Air Ambulance service in your region you never know when you might need it...

mtbr member
    Any advice on chain guides. I have xtr dual ring cranks 40T / 28T. Doing Alpe d'huez this year so what some protection.

mtbr member
    If you can swing it I'd ditch the 2x10 for a 1x10, and then do the MRP G2 SL. Light, quiet, and easy to set up. It doesn't have a full bashguard, but it has the skid plate which I've found to be more than adequate for protection. And it looks good.

mtbr member
    What size ring is best then. Never run 1 up front before. Not that it makes much of a difference but I'm running 9spd.

See my build. New forks and frame old parts from previous build. Upgrade from my Pitch Pro which I love. Hope it lives up to its reviews.

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344074086.781036.jpg
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344074150.453983.jpg
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344074183.329963.jpg
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344074282.191210.jpg
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344074303.509601.jpg

mtbr member
    Why is the shock non-Kashima? Great machine though, very similar build to mine (wheels & fork identical)

In my experience you might want to lower stem (remove spacers) and run a lower rise bar as can go light on front end during climbs even when talas dropped to 130mm (don't run the 100mm option as too low for BB)

mtbr member
    Appreciate the advice thank you. Non kashima as I got the frame second hand and built everything from parts which either i bought or already had.

I have yet to ride it to see how it feels and had been looking at moving spacers above the stem. Just wasn't ready to cut the forks yet until it had been ridden.

I'm thinking MRP 2x chain guide with integrated bash just need to buy the iscg adapter. Annoyingly yeti adapters I have seen are only available in the US. Contemplating ethirteen adapter if compatible.

mtbr member
    Give silverfish (importer) a shout, the guys are great. I sheared a Ti shock mount bolt (be very careful!!) and they replaced gratis in days after a quick email.

Worth a look on yetifan website for parts too...

I have had mine a month and haven't really opened her up yet as rehab from broken leg. What I have ridden of her she is a peach... Incredibly efficient as promised yet super compliment on small stuff, it's wrong it shouldn't be but is! Really no need for pro-pedal at all. I'm sure you'll love it.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden Alpe d'huez, but a 32t ring matched with a 11-34 9 speed cassette has given me plenty of range. There's at least one company, wish I could remember who, that makes a 30t ring. Great build, by the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some epic builds in here, certainly put mine to shame.

Dazzler - I managed to shear one of the Ti shock bolts, well it snapped in my street after I dropped off a kurb when testing the build out, did it up to the required torque as stated in the manual using a digital torque wrench, I just replaced the full mount/pin with a stainless one.

Love the bike, but I get the impression i'm going to get through a lot of bearings (4x Switch and 2x upper link so far) not a problem as they are fairly cheap to buy and easy to fit but still a bit of a pain on a frame with a couple of grand price tag.

I don't know if anyone else has had issues with mounting a chainguide on the SB? I ended up having to mill 2.5mm off the ISCG mounts to get the chainguide to sit right. I don't know if it's a bike issue or an issue with the Blackspire Stinger. The other option was to add an additional spacer to the BB cup but it would have thrown the chain line out.

Spec:-

2012 SB-66 Frame (Medium)
    Fox 36 Van R Forks
    Fox RP23 Kashima shock - Swapping this for a Push tuned Van-RC as soon as it arrives
    Hope Tech V2 - 203/185 Floating rotors - Goodridge hoses
    SRAM X9 Mech + Shifters, Goodridge cables
    XT DM Front Mech
    SDG I Beam Post + Bel Air saddle
    Easton EA70 Bars + ODI Rogue grips
    Truvativ Hussefelt 50mm Stem
    DT Swiss 440 hubs on Mavic EN321/DT E540 Rims
    Maxxis Minion ST DH-F / Maxxis Highroller 60a Rear

Rough weight with the coil - 35lbs maybe.

I'm not trusted to add photos until I get to 10 posts, I've uploaded a couple to my gallery though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-001.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-202553_10151143094588784_566591192_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    A fellow Teessider Chris?

I am in Stockton-on-Tees. Not getting much further at the minute since nasty Hamsterley accident April 15th.

I havent had chance to really open up and let loose on the SB yet but looking forward to it from the flat miles I have put in. I am worried about bearings too with the great northern bloop, its not easy to clean without stripping down...

mtbr member
    ...nowt wrong with the build by the way

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am indeed, are you the guy that snapped his leg in half near the bombhole? I remember reading about it somewhere, maybe the Hamsterley trail builders site.

I live over near Guisborough, so not a million miles away, Hamsterley is a regular ride for me, I am just recovering after doing both my knees in a few weeks back trying to beet my Strava time on the Transmission section!

Drop me a PM some time, maybe arrange a ride out somewhere?

mtbr member
    haha Strava was partially to blame for mine too, yeah I snapped leg (tib & fib) missing out bomb hole as carrying too much speed on approach and bailed out understeering towards a tree stump and made a right mess but getting there now.

Close now to getting back out throwing it about, I am doing about 3 x 20 mile training loops on local railway paths. Haven't quite got strength to get out of saddle in attack position.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in a guided tour of Guisborough as not been up for years, last time up I completely lost all the ST. Looking at your coil based build I would imagine you somewhat more extreme than me? I don't mind chucking it about a bit but don't think I'd justify coils, mind I love a ride as very interested the difference in feel mainly as I am a larger rider and wonder if would suit my build more than air shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I will be honest I don't know guisborough massively well, I don't ride there that often, I know a fair amout of the hidden trails up there though.

I just like the plush feel of the coil over air. I do a fair amout of uplift assisted downhill as well, Hamsterley, Innerleithen, Various places in the Alps, Whistler last year. I'm no hardcore downhiller but riding is all in the descent to me, hence the burly build, getting to the top quickest isn't that big of a deal, though with the SB-66 things have improved massively on that front.

The other issue with the air shock is blows right through the travel (travel indicator is always off the bottom of the shock) I can up the PSI but then the sag isn't right, I just find the coil shock more controllable, for the sake of 1lb on a build like mine it's really here nor there.

mtbr member
    Whistler??? Yikes thats some trip! Fair play to yeah!

I too prefer the downs than ups, climbing is a necessary evil... The coil sounds perfect, I was seeing a very easy use of stroke on RP23 and was not hitting anything hard yet.

It is much better after a Mojo revalve. I will evaluate better in the coming weeks as I build strength back up to be able to chuck it about a bit more. I have to say the pedal very well. Coming from the Enduro SL which pedalled great for 150mm this thing blows that away. The traction on rough climbs is simply staggering.

As for style and ability, I was running 5m21s on Triple Tranny and 2m18s on Section 13, slightly above average I guess and not bad for 40 yrs and 15 stone, I do enjoy the flow more than the real big hits but do like a bit of air under the tyres Not sure what I will be like since my accident, I feel good and don't think I will have any bottle issues? Never used too?

We will definitely have to have a blast (albeit gentle!) round Hamster's soon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Times on them two sections are a bit slower than mine but not by a massive margin. Pikes teeth and the first black section after section 13 are where it's at for me though.

I think we should probably take this to PM or email so as not to put the thread off course, but yeah i'm game for a ride out, I'm generally a solo rider so the company occasionally is a welcome change.

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast