Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yeti SB-66 Build thread

603K views 2K replies 367 participants last post by  usmceric1 
#1 · (Edited)
I went a little overboard on this, but I can't wait

I should hopefully get the frame in August ( missed the first batch ), which is no big deal the wheels will take that long to get anyway.

This will be replacing my Large 09 Giant Reign X1 ( which is to small for me ), some of the parts are parts I had already. I am 6'6" 225 and like to ride everything there is. XC trails, Downhill, light freeride ( Post canyon, but none of the huge crazy stuff there, aka barn drop no way :) )

Frame: XL Yeti SB-66 Black
Fork: Fox 36 160mm FLOAT RLC
65.9 deg head angle
Shock: DHX RC4 Coil ( will be selling the RP23 Air )
142x12mm Axle Kit
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm
Bars: Race Face Atlas FR
Seat: Chromag Trail-master DT
Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm/180mm
Sticking with 2x9 speed 24/36 - 11/34
Shifters: SRAM X9
Front Der: Shimano XT
Rear Der. SRAM X9 medium cage
Bashguard: MRP- LRP shift able chain-guide
Cranks/BB: Race Face Atlas FR
Rings: 24/36 Blackspire Superpros
Wheels: Industry 9 Enduro ( White rims, black spokes, orange hubs )
Pedals: Spank Spike Flats.
Tires: 2.4 Panaracer Fire FR ( if they fit )

What are others build plans? spill it!

See less See more
#419 ·
Very nice, love the white frame! I probably would of got a white frame instead of black that I am having built up due to less visibility of scratches and dings with the white. Probably have to get some frame skins for the shiny black frame so it doesn't look like a haggered 2$ dollar ho within a season. If all goes well, hopefully be riding mine come next weekend! Just waiting on a tapered steerer/crown assembly for my fork and 142x12 thru axle conversion kit for the rear hub. Stoked to put the 66 thru it's paces when it's ready. Just hope the RP23 and I get along well.

#422 ·
We have some frames and completes in stock at Go-Ride.com. Not sure if they are listed on our website at this time, but we have them and can ship them anywhere in the USA. I personally ride a SB66, so if you have any tech questions I can answer them.

#429 ·
Same here in the uk i have a medium lime on order should have it early next year.Could get a white or black the now but holding out for the colour i want.At least i am supposed to be getting the next medium lime one that comes into the uk as my name is first on the list :thumbsup:

#431 ·
#432 ·
Stem recommendation/advice anyone?

So, pretty happy how my new SB-66 came out with mostly older parts transferred over from previous bike, just would like to replace the stem that is on it right now. Got an old, heavy'ish Syncros FR stem I had lying around (50mm x 15*rise) on there. Stem length feels good, but rise is a bit too much and weighs about 1/4 lb more than other stems in this size.

So having a hard time choosing between a:
- Chromag Ranger (40x0 or 50x0) at 140g, 150g
- Thomson X4 (50x0*) at 170g
- Renthal Duo (50x10*) at 140g

I came off a Thomson DH 45mm stem on previous bike that I loved how it felt, but also love my Chromag bars and seat and think the Ranger would complement the build well. But the Renthal looks pretty cool and like how it all clamps together with no 4 bolt face plate, pretty light and like the fact that it has a bit of rise to offset using another spacer under the stem, since I will have to add spacers under the stem regardless due to Syncros having at least a 5-8mm taller stack height then aforementioned stems.

Based on this, any suggestions?

Thx,
JG

#433 ·
Stem recommendation/advice anyone?

So, pretty happy how my new SB-66 came out with mostly older parts transferred over from previous bike, just would like to replace the stem that is on it right now. Got an old, heavy'ish Syncros FR stem I had lying around (50mm x 15*rise) on there. Stem length feels good, but rise is a bit too much and weighs about 1/4 lb more than other stems in this size.

So having a hard time choosing between a:
- Chromag Ranger (40x0 or 50x0) at 140g, 150g
- Thomson X4 (50x0*) at 170g
- Renthal Duo (50x10*) at 140g

I came off a Thomson DH 45mm stem on previous bike that I loved how it felt, but also love my Chromag bars and seat and think the Ranger would complement the build well. But the Renthal looks pretty cool and like how it all clamps together with no 4 bolt face plate, pretty light and like the fact that it has a bit of rise to offset using another spacer under the stem, since I will have to add spacers under the stem regardless due to Syncros having at least a 5-8mm taller stack height then aforementioned stems.

Based on this, any suggestions?

Thx,
JG
I love my Syncros FRIC

45MM/0 degree/ 123 grams!

Syncros - Applied Technology

» 2010 Interbike: 2011 Syncros FRIC Stem And Other New Products - Sick Lines - mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

/ Intended use: Freeride / DH
/ Patented forged design for incredible strength-to-weight ratio
/ Patented Intelligent Clamp (IC™) wraps a fulll 260 degrees
around the bar for superior force distribution
/ Bolts on front of steerer clamp for increased clearance
/ 45mm extension
/ Zero rise
/ Available in black or white
/ Superlight at 123g

#434 ·
Looks nice and at half the weight of the Syncros stem I have on now and can be had for only about $65 online (cheaper than other stems in this class). The only dis, is that it looks like I would have to remove everything off the bars and slide the bars in to install. One of the things I was stoked about during the build was that I kept all the controls on the bars when transferring all the parts over. Stem looks solid once installed though. Still think I will go with either the Chromag, Renthal or Thomson. Just trying to decide if I should go 40x0* (Chromag), 50x10* (Renthal), or 50x0* (Thomson) in sizing and rise is all I am fretting over at this point for optimal cockpit fit/feel, even though it is a pretty minor thing to sweat.

Thx for the suggestion though!

#437 ·
Rode a demo SB-95 this weekend and I loved the suspension design and how well it pedaled. I felt like it wasn't doing anything at all and then I looked down and saw the shock moving, nuts. Soaked up hard edged bumps as well as the DW too. Only thing is I still can't get with the 29" wheels, just not as good through the corners and I can't flick it around like I can the 26" wheeled bike.

Now I struggle with the decision between the 2012 Turner 5.Spot and the Yeti SB-66. Being a former Yeti fan (two 575's, ASX, ASR, and a DJ) I feel like I want to stick with the brand but I like the ride of the DW too and it would be cool to try something different. The only draw back to the Turner is the higher price. I know this is the Yeti forum, but thoughts from any of you with experience with both bikes?

Thanks,

Tejas

#440 ·
Finally together

Frame: Large
Fox 36 Talas
Full XO Silver Groupo
Thompson 50mm
Havoc Carbon Bars
Haven Wheels
Reverb post
Gobi Am Seat
Trail King Tires (Tubeless)
31.6 lbs.

After the first ride at Blackrock yesterday, it truly lives up to what everyone is claiming.Pedaling was effortless but it was mostly fire road.On the downhill it was a mini DH.With the wheel base,low BB and 66 ha it was a blast. Very good in the air.Very balanced bike. It road like it was 4 lbs lighter.

Attachments

#442 ·
Frame: Large
Fox 36 Talas
Full XO Silver Groupo
Thompson 50mm
Havoc Carbon Bars
Haven Wheels
Reverb post
Gobi Am Seat
Trail King Tires (Tubeless)
31.6 lbs.
That is seriously my dream build for this bike. My god that's a good looking rig.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that build cost you? And if you do mind me asking, no worries, but know that I fully support spending lucrative amounts of money on dream bikes :thumbsup:

#447 ·
There is A difference between the two frames the nomads are excellent frames but realy aggressive it does climb well but the sb is much better climber.when going down hill they feel about the same to me tough yetii does suffer dou to the air shock . after switching to the coil droping in feel much smoother .bike does weigh little heavier .14.5 kg

#451 ·
Here is my build that should be ready just after Christmas day.

SB-66 Turquoise/medium
Fox 32 150 Fit RLC Kashima (white) (will pick up a Fox 36 Float/Vanilla for bigger days next summer)
Cane Creek Forty headset
Salsa fliplock seat post clamp in Gold
Thomson Elite X4 50mm stem
Thomson Elite 30.9mmx410mm seat post
Fizik Gobi XM saddle
Spank Stiffy Royala Gold 30mm rise
Sram X9 rear shifter
Sram X9 short cage rear der
Sram X7 32T crank
Sram PG-1050 12-36T cassette
e.Thirteen LG1+ 32-36T ISCG 05
Sram PC-1051 10 spd chain
Shimano XT SPD pedals (Spank flats for bigger days)
Stans ZTR Flow hoops laced to Gold Hadley hubs 32 hole F/36 hole R, 15mmF/142x12mmR, 20mmF conversion cups for fork swaps
Shimano XT trail brakes with 180/160 Ice Tec rotors or Hope Tech V2 183/160 rotors
Fox RP23 Kashima rear shock (maybe a CCDB Air next summer)
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 UST front (Continental Mountain King 2.4 alternate)
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 UST rear (Kenda SB8 2.35 alternate)
Yeti Lock-on grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.