Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion

The new bike has been announced and I think it fits well into the current Yeti lineup. Obviously some people would have liked the ability to run plus sized rubber but I think Yeti doesn't feel this is the time for that project. Instead we get a nice balance with the spec sheet and Geo numbers as this bike will go H2H with the likes of the Remedy, Jeffsy, HighTower, E29 and many others. The big difference is this bike will be so capable go up as it will coming down with switch infinity.

The Silver is HOT !
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Drool worthy

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion-2016_yeti_sb55c_profile_slv.jpg.1280x720_q65_crop_2x.jpg
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    The Numbers

160MM FORK
    MD LG XL
    A Seat Tube Length 445 483 521
    B Toptube Length 601 626 652
    C Headtube Angle 66.5 66.5 66.5
    D Eff. Seattube Angle 73.6 73.6 73.6
    E Chainstay Length 437 437 437
    F Wheelbase 1168 1195 1222
    G Estimated BB Height 346 346 346
    H Standover 743 754 767
    I Headtube Length 90 105 121
    J Axle to Crown 567 567 567
    K Offset 51 51 51
    L Stack 610 624 639
    M Reach 421 442 463
    N Front Center 730 758 785
    *All measurements are in millimeters
    SIZING
    MEDIUM 5'7" (170 CM) - 5'11" (180 CM)
    LARGE 5'11" (180 CM) - 6'3" (191 CM)
    X-LARGE 6'3" (185 CM) - 6'6" (198 CM)

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion-2016_sb55c_geodiagram.png.600x0_q95_2x.jpg
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

Trail Ninja
    Yeti Cycles – Bikes – SB5.5c

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion-yetisb55cgeo.jpg

29 only, up to 2.4 rear
    Boost 148
    PF92
    No front derailleur mount
    Frame weight 6.0 lbs

Stock builds come with Boost 36 Float (only comes in 51mm offset), 45/50mm stem, 785/800mm bar, 30t ring. E1900, 350/XM 481, or 240/Enve M70 HV as stock rims/wheels. Crank length and dropper adjustment range unknown.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The lack of plus sized options is a huge miss IMO. Regardless it looks super capable (after you replace that Ardent in the rear)

mtbr member
    I've got a E-13 Cassette 9-44T as well as 2 Nox Teocalli hoops in my garage ready for the GX build swap. I think I'd be okay with those wheels instead of the Farlows as I'd like to shave some weight off the 28.6 pound estimated. I'm sure the large frame will come in at 29 lbs.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    The lack of plus sized options is a huge miss IMO. Regardless it looks super capable (after you replace that Ardent in the rear)
    It's not speced with the ardent but instead the Aggressor which is supposed to be a really capable rear option. Not many available yet as I've looked on a few sites to buy one to try.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Love the new specs ..2.5 dhf and 2.3 aggressor brings inline wth others. Guess start saving again.. Smh

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    It's not speced with the ardent but instead the Aggressor which is supposed to be a really capable rear option. Not many available yet as I've looked on a few sites to buy one to try.
    Hmm specs say Aggressor but pic says Ardent. Hopefully it's the former.

mtbr member
    I'll be interested to hear what Varaxis thinks about the numbers on paper compared to it's competition from the other manufactures.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Float X and Fox 36 160mm shows what the intentions of this bike are along with the 2.5 DHF up front. All business all the time. I think all the guys that rode the SB95 but were waiting will be ready to drop some coin. Not really an issue running 1x with the new casette options.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Float X and Fox 36 160mm shows what the intentions of this bike are along with the 2.5 DHF up front. All business all the time. I think all the guys that rode the SB95 but were waiting will be ready to drop some coin. Not really an issue running 1x with the new casette options.
    Yup I was one of those guys and bought a 6c. Now I may have both lol damn you Yeti!!

Trail Ninja
    I only correct people that try interpret things on paper incorrectly.

It's the less tangible stuff I'm mostly interested in, like just how stiff is this 6.0 lb frame. They said the 45c was the stiffest frame they ever made, and this one has added mass, besides from the shock. The numbers seem pretty comparable and I'm not a nerd that stresses over HA and CS length differences and try and attribute them to certain characteristics. I'm more of an "entire picture" kind of thinker, and try and pick it apart from different angles.

For example, with an EVOL air can on there, it would be pretty hard to bottom it out. But since it has a 348 BB, that might mean you can run DH sag levels in the rear (30-35%), considering it doesn't have as wallowy of a midstroke as other air shocks. The med's 90mm HT and the 66.5 HA gets the stack manageable at 610mm. Wheelbase is kept on par with others. Looks to have the same suspension curve as other SB bikes. I don't expect the Float X to have as good of a pedal platform/lockout as the Float DPS inline, due to the nature of its design.

Personally, I'm not interested, since I don't ride trails that are rough enough to leave enough left over to feel technical, after this thing eats it all up. Not into removing all the challenge from the trail, just to go fast as if that were my only intention. My E29 leaves plenty left over, since it's not the stiffest feeling frame around; kind of feels more like a 29er version of an Ibis Mojo HD3, a sort of long legged trail bike.

Hmm, wanted to compare the tube shaping and sizes, but it's extremely hard to get the overlay to show well enough. Definitely curvier, maybe trimmer at the junctions, and a bit bigger dimensions throughout:

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion-sb45vsb55overlay.jpg

Ended up making a video to share. Looks like the only real major changes I see from the side are to the tube shaping is the vertical spar connecting the seat tube and chainstay at the pivot point areas being more rounded, chainstay dropping a little more in relation to the BB.

Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Trail Ninja
    Ride reviews starting to roll out from the media:

Yeti SB5.5c - First Ride - Pinkbike

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...5-5c-X01,17297 (got the link from the video below, might not be active yet)

- looks like it turned the rider into a racer, despite him not knowing where he's going
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

I <3 dirt
    So happy they didn't give into the marketing hype of mid fat garbage.

MTB B'dos
    It's a damn nice looking bike for sure and numbers seem spot on for intended usage, but WTF were Yeti thinking with that BS video of Rude and his team mate carving smooth trails in NZ? Does not show what a 140/160mm bike should be capable off, should have had them doing some trails like the EWS stuff, maybe Top Of the World in Whistler, not smooth trails you could rip on a rigid or HT.

BTW, great video by Vita,that's the sort of terrain they should have Rude ripping on, that's what really tests the stiffness and capabilities of a bike like this.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    get out your credit card skinny haha. looks awesome but no plus compatibility is lame in my opinion. geometry looks great though. i like that they specced it with a 160 fork for the gnar. mid fat is not garbage either. you have clearly never ridden one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    It's a damn nice looking bike for sure and numbers seem spot on for intended usage, but WTF were Yeti thinking with that BS video of Rude and his team mate carving smooth trails in NZ? Does not show what a 140/160mm bike should be capable off, should have had them doing some trails like the EWS stuff, maybe Top Of the World in Whistler, not smooth trails you could rip on a rigid or HT.

BTW, great video by Vita,that's the sort of terrain they should have Rude ripping on, that's what really tests the stiffness and capabilities of a bike like this.
    Its just a video.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    get out your credit card skinny haha. looks awesome but no plus compatibility is lame in my opinion. geometry looks great though. i like that they specced it with a 160 fork for the gnar. mid fat is not garbage either. you have clearly never ridden one
    It's garbage.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Yep.

The interesting thing with the 4.5 and 5.5, is that now there is a clear line to take for what you like ride. The 95 was in the middle (but color be built to cater both) and I think many people were confused at the purpose / intention of the 4.5. Now there is a clear division.

And notice too, the 5.5 is only Medium / Large / XL.
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    So happy they didn't give into the marketing hype of mid fat garbage.
    +1, its a race bike,

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, this is a great release for them... just the type of bike the lineup needed.... really can't wait to ride one sometime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Holy smokes this is my next bike (after a DH bike but that's another story). I was worried I'd need to get an SB6 and an SB4.5 but this will likely be the replacement for my SB95. The Hightower looked really tempting (sriraccha red? hell yeah) but now I'm a full on yeti fanboy again. Not worried at all about being "limited" to a 2.4 tire. I've ridden plenty of fat and plus bikes to know I wouldn't want to make a bike like this slower and numb.

Anyway looks like everything has been upgraded from the 95. A bit more travel, a bit more stable, a bit more maneuverable (10mm shorter cs), a bit lighter, probably quite a bit stiffer, and hopefully pedals as good or better...and of course a bit more expensive. Can't wait till the demos roll around...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It would be interesting to hear what type of tracks the EWS team prefers a 29'er on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    Initially I thought the same, but after thinking about it a while, I think the decision to not include an option for 27+ actually fits their design ethos. Yeti has never been about being all things to all riders. John P has repeatedly said that they have an idea of what they want to build, and if it doesn't fit you, then he's stoked if you find another brand that you love.
    They build bikes that are for racing. They have a laser-focus on building bikes that are stable and maneuverable at high speed. They don't go for for the latest trends like short CS because it might compromise those qualities. Accommodating two wheelsize options because other manufacturers do so might require unacceptable compromises to their core bike characteristics.
    This is not to say SC or Ibis are wishy-washy. If you want to have two bikes in one, that's awesome. Having ridden a regular Pike vs a dual-air Pike for example, I see the compromises necessary to have two travel options in one. I just wouldn't want that.
    I love Yeti sticking to what they know best. It's like they have a clear mission statement and their identity is inexorably tied to it.
    D

mtbr member
    BADASS bike... a wrecking ball.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Does anyone know if it will or won't fit a 27.5 x 2.8 rear tire? I haven't seen any formal mention of it.
    2 wheels

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    Does anyone know if it will or won't fit a 27.5 x 2.8 rear tire? I haven't seen any formal mention of it.
    The pink bike article specifically says it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pricing is getting out of hand...$3.5K?

mtbr member
    "There's Boost spacing front and rear, but this bike is meant specifically for 29" wheels - there's not enough clearance for a 27.5+ tire."
    Pinkbike

mtbr member
    My poor photography skills won't do it justice, but this bike is quite the looker! From the moment it rolled in our door I knew I wanted to immediately ride it based on how fast it looked standing still!

Yeti SB 5.5c discussion-sb5.5c.jpg

Darren

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Drool worthy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_Yeti_SB55c_Profile_Slv.jpg.1280x720_q65_crop_2x.jpg 
Views:	954 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	1063430
    Man this color is sexy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Wow!
    Thats the bike i always wanted..
    29", 160mm / 140mm and a great suspension system going uphill.. plus some great aggressive geo for downhill

Sooner or later.. i'll get a frame and put the (upgraded) Parts from my Stumpjumper over!

The only problem... i can't decide between those colors!
    Both look great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can put what you want on the front. No design ethos there.
    A wider rim on the rear will get benefits out of rounded profile tires. E1900 is 25 id. Enve M70 is 30mm id. You could probably go 35mm with the right tire.

Here's some Plus bike 'marketing hype'. Somehow Wade can ride them.

mtbr member
    It's good to see a true SB95c replacement, that bike ripped - up, over and down everything, I hope this bike feels just as urgent. This bike could potentially see me back in the tribe...

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You can put what you want on the front. No design ethos there.
    A wider rim on the rear will get benefits out of rounded profile tires. E1900 is 25 id. Enve M70 is 30mm id. You could probably go 35mm with the right tire.
    To add to this info, EX481 is 35/30 (Outer/Inner).

Comparison on the different wheel sizes: The Duel of the Tyre Sizes: 27.5+ vs. 27.5" and 29er Bikes | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine (27.5+ shows instability at high speed)

Daverino has the same opinion I do. This is the premier 29er Enduro race bike. Don't think anything else on the market will be as race tuned as this, but with that said, a race tune doesn't fit everyone for everyday trail riding, hence why I'm sticking to what I got for the moment unless I run into a deal that I can't pass up.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    Also, in Yeti's FAQ section for this bike, it states that the 5.5 will not be plus compatible.

All Yeti's are "race bred", so I doubt they'll do a plus bike anytime soon, if ever--unless their riders end up winning on plus bikes I guess.

mtbr member
    Oh well looks like im going with a Mojo 3.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The point of Plus capability isn't that you have to run them. It's that you can run them. If your terrain warrants that tuning choice. Ride Bookwus on Fromme like in the video and they work. If I had access that a trail like that my bike choice would be influenced. But I'd still want my 29 wheel/tire choice for higher speed stuff. Like two bikes for the price of an extra wheelset.

mtbr member
    Well Ibis did add the rear triangle for the HD3 just recently ass an upgrade so maybe it'll be an option in the future if enough people show the interest.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    I already have a Large Silver Bullet Gx build on preorder with BC/CC and my guy tells me 5/20 is due date. I'll have the Nox Teo's built up with hope pro 4's and I'll swap the gx cassette to my e-13 9-44t. then just handlebar and stem and I'm set.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Awesome. I look forward to reading your experience with it and how it compares with the rest of your Yeti quiver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoopow View Post
    Awesome. I look forward to reading your experience with it and how it compares with the rest of your Yeti quiver.
    I gave up gambling years ago and my kids are in college so with my main job in life accomplished this has become my addiction. Not a bad addiction to have as I'll hopefully stay fit and smile wide. I just decided to add Scotland to my trip list in July so the question will be what bike to rule the highlands ?
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    My poor photography skills won't do it justice, but this bike is quite the looker! From the moment it rolled in our door I knew I wanted to immediately ride it based on how fast it looked standing still!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB5.5c.jpg 
Views:	6041 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	1063515

Darren
    Darren or anyone really what stroke shock does it use? Just rented a Hightower and I'm using a lot of pressure to hold up my big ass on the little 2" stroke shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    great response. it's garbage. you must be slower then maple syrup. you can go faster on a good plus set up then any 29 on the same bike. the only reason the ews guys don't run them yet is puncture resistance plain and simple. the tires just haven't been developed enough. on a 40mm rim with a 2.8 tire the speed you can carry over anything is actually quite hilarious. but back on topic the 5.5 looks sick. skinny your going to love it

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    great response. it's garbage. you must be slower then maple syrup. you can go faster on a good plus set up then any 29 on the same bike. the only reason the ews guys don't run them yet is puncture resistance plain and simple. the tires just haven't been developed enough. on a 40mm rim with a 2.8 tire the speed you can carry over anything is actually quite hilarious. but back on topic the 5.5 looks sick. skinny your going to love it
    It's just a repeat of 10-12 years ago, the only difference is the wheel diameters are bigger (so instead of a 24x3.0 tire on a 26 bike it's a 27.5x3.0 on a 29) and it didn't work then. To make a tire that can actually go fast, it's going to be way too heavy. Maybe your terrain is smooth and mellow but here in Colorado there are plenty of jagged rocks. Try riding apex (yeti's lunch ride trail) and tell me how well your plus size tires worked as you walk it out.

mtbr member
    invol2ver, I'm loving the rock razor paired up with the hans on the 4.5 thanks again for the advice on the tire. Now if they hold up in our elements i'll be stoked.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=invol2ver;12578068]great response. it's garbage. you must be slower then maple syrup. you can go faster on a good plus set up then any 29 on the same bike. the only reason the ews guys don't run them yet is puncture resistance plain and simple. the tires just haven't been developed enough. on a 40mm rim with a 2.8 tire the speed you can carry over anything is actually quite hilarious. but back on topic the 5.5 looks sick. skinny your going to love it[/I feel like the speed you can carry thru stuff has less to do with tire size and more to do with suspension setup and quality of travel.
    I think the reason EWS riders aren't using plus-sized wheels is more that under the hard lateral loads that they create, there's more deformation of the tire (especially at the lower pressures you'd run to get the benefits of bigger tires) that leads to unpredictable grip and handling. In order to combat this, you'd need stiffer sidewalls, but then tire weight would go way up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Edited because the ****ing shitty insurance company is taking every word on the forum said to weasel out of a claim.

DO NOT BUY FROM BIKMO or HISCOX UNDERWRITERS; THEY'RE DISHONEST, LYING AND DEVIOUS INSURERS WHO WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND DECIDE AFTER 6 MONTHS OF A CLAIM NOT TO PAY OUT! SCUMBAGS!!
    Last edited by properbikegeek; 03-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    LOL ... i live in southern utah. my home trails are moab and st. george. the plus tires make the biggest difference in rough jagged terrain. the maxxis tires have not been great for puncture resistance but the specialized tires and schwalbes have been good so far. you just have to get the pressure right. yeah skinny the schwalbe snake skins have been holding up better then the maxxis exo. by the way apex trail is fun but please on the rough trail speak. it's fine that you think plus tires suck but don't be one of the evil forumers and make comments like that on things you have never tried

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast