mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Yeti RDH + CCDB?

Any RDH riders out there using a Cane Creek Double Barrel on their rig? I currently have an Elka stage 5 on mine that I am not too happy with. I was looking at a CCDB since I have one on my all mountain bike and love it. I haven't seen one on the net with one and wondered if there was a reason why.

mtbr member
    I have tried several shocks on the RDH and spent several months riding the bike with a CCDB. In my opinion, it is not the best shock for the 303 RDH because the combination of a very flat leverage ratio of the linkage and a linear spring curve of the CCDB make it pretty challenging to find a good balance between the shock being able to move fast enough on repeated square edge hits and not constantly using all the travel and almost bottoming out.

The CCDB has phenomenal sensitivity and the feel at low shaft speed is great but because of the double barrel design and the extremely thin shaft (which displaces very little volume of oil) it does not ramp up almost at all at the end of the stroke.
    I am 165lbs and tried both a 300lbs/in and 350lbs/in spring on the CCDB with varying amounts of preload but at the end of the day to control bottom out I had to crank down the high-speed compression and choke the shock up in the rough at speed.

I spoke with Malcolm at Cane Creek several times at length, followed his suggestions, but ultimately concluded that the CCDB just doesn't play nice with the leverage curve of the 303 RDH (and in my opinion very similar considerations are valid for the SB-66). The CCDB Air would be a much better option because of the tunability of the spring curve as well as the damping characteristics.

In 2011 I used almost exclusively an Elka Stage 5 with a slightly stiffer tune than recommended on the Elka website and it was the best shock on the RDH out of all the ones I have tried (RC4, DHX5, Elka, CCDB). It is more sensitive than the RC4, great rebound control and easy to tune.

What issues are you having with yours? When was it built? What tune do you have on your shock? Some of the older Elka had issues with the damper lagging or sticking open and Elka has been recalling the older shocks and replacing internals or (like in my case) sending a brand new shock out under warranty.

mtbr member
    Just to give another viewpoint on it, I personally think the CCDB works perfect on the 303 RDH. It lets me push hard in race runs without even having to worry about the back end of the bike. I weigh 170 and run a 350 ti spring and it works great. Its nice how supple the shock is off the top. The bike is linear all way through the travel, but I like it that way.
    You do not feel it "giving" any in the suspension curve, and it motors right over sharp impacts. My spring is stiff enough for me which really lets me open up the compression settings up on the shock as I like a lively setup. I am running my CCDB fairly open and even though I use all of the travel, I have no issues with bottoming harshly. It works great for me as a race bike.

SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the replies. The issue I have with the Elka is I felt like the rear was overly harsh. By the time I had it set to where it felt better, the high speed compression was all the the way out. So I feel like it still has too much hsc. Also, I feel like the rebound in the mid stroke to full travel is over dampened. This may partially be a mental thing because the shock makes so much noise in that range of operation. I bought this shock in the winter 2010/2011 from Elka for the RDH but I don't know what tune it has other than that.

I weigh about 185 in gear and with a 350 spring the sag is set up to the proper mark. So I felt like my setup was good the shock just felt harsh compaired to my bike with a ccdb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The issue I have with the Elka is I felt like the rear was overly harsh. By the time I had it set to where it felt better, the high speed compression was all the the way out. So I feel like it still has too much hsc. Also, I feel like the rebound in the mid stroke to full travel is over dampened. This may partially be a mental thing because the shock makes so much noise in that range of operation. I bought this shock in the winter 2010/2011 from Elka for the RDH but I don't know what tune it has other than that.

I weigh about 185 in gear and with a 350 spring the sag is set up to the proper mark. So I felt like my setup was good the shock just felt harsh compaired to my bike with a ccdb.
    Well I think Jeremy and I pretty much agree on how the CCDB performs on the RDH, the difference is that he likes it and I prefer a shock that offers more support. From your description, unless you go really big on the bike, it sounds like you would probably enjoy the CCDB better than the Elka.

If you didn't ask for a different tune, you probably have the MC10/MR20 valve shim stack. That's the lightest compression stack Elka offers. Their rebound damping is very progressive, which makes the shock lively in the early stroke and controlled coming back from a big hit. I assume that this is what you mean by overdamping in the second half of the stroke. You could probably ask Elka for a more linear rebound tune (the RC4 has a very linear rebound).

The noise has me perplexed. If it's a clunking, you need to send the shock back to Elka and they will take care of you under warranty. If it's more of a sucking sound, some of that is normal. A quick phone call to Elka could help. If you bought the shock new in early 2011, it should have all the latest internals (no schrader valve under the reservoir).

As I said, I weigh 165lbs (probably about 175-180lbs all kitted out in DH gear) and I run a 350lbs/in coil on the shock with MC20/MR20 valving and 2-4 clicks of HSC depending on the track.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for your added imput. I think my Elka is performing properly and the soud I hear is just normal operation for the shock.

So I think I'll give the DB a try and see which one I like best. Will post up again after some ride time.