mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Yeti AS-R vs. Santa Cruz Superlight

both seem to weigh the same, both single pivot. Never rode a Yeti, have no dealers around. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with either, I would think.
    I have loved my superlight for many years now.
    AS-R has a carbon option that the superlight doesn't have.
    AS-R also has an inch more travel doesn't it? 5" vs 4"
    And, the ASR is slacker than the Superlight (68/72 vs. 71/73).
    So they probably ride much differently. It would be nice to do a head to head test ride.
    If you have no dealers around, check the Yeti website. Give yourself a vacation to Durango and they will take care of you! (You'll have to wait until the snow melts, 5 months or so).

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Can't go wrong with either, I would think.
    I have loved my superlight for many years now.
    AS-R has a carbon option that the superlight doesn't have.
    AS-R also has an inch more travel doesn't it? 5" vs 4"
    And, the ASR is slacker than the Superlight (68/72 vs. 71/73).
    So they probably ride much differently. It would be nice to do a head to head test ride.
    If you have no dealers around, check the Yeti website. Give yourself a vacation to Durango and they will take care of you! (You'll have to wait until the snow melts, 5 months or so).
    Or come to Golden where the factory is to do a demo vacation. Steve welcome to the new Millennium. Yeti is in Golden now. J/K...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got both and they r excellent bikes.The Yeti is a far better race bike as it just peddles so well also the frames nearly a pound lighter.The Superlite seems a little more robust and makes a great trail bike especially with a 120m fork.R u sure your not confusing the ASR with the 575.

mtbr member
    They're both single pivot bikes (controls the wheel path), but the Yeti has a linkage driven shock rate that will change the feel quite a bit. As has been mentioned, both are great bikes. Comes down to personal preference. Competitive Cyclist has started selling Yeti bikes. Maybe contact them. They have a bike demo program.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

You definitley want to try them . .

. . . as they are two very different bikes despite the fact that they seem to fit in the same niche.

The suspensions feel very different, despite both being single pivot.

Most importantly, the geometry is very different--both typical for their manufacturer--Yeti=longer top tube, very stretched out riding position, DV=vvery shrot top tube, more compact riding position. The feel is entirely different. You can compensate with stem length, but that then changes the steering.

The SC is a fine bike, but I think the Yeti is superior in every category (except price as you can get some pretty smokin' deals on Superlights). But that's meaningless if it's not a good fit for you.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The new superlight has some pretty beefy tubing near the pivot in the current form. This adds a lot to the weight (and to increased quality of ride I'm sure), a good friend changed recently from the Blur XC alloy, and was impressed with the bike, but his overall bike weight has gone up by a fair bit.

I think also the new rear-end will improve the somewhat flexy nature of the ASR design. Looks big, and if the flexstay effect has been kept in the new design then the quality suspension action Yeti is known for will remain.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley
    Or come to Golden where the factory is to do a demo vacation. Steve welcome to the new Millennium. Yeti is in Golden now. J/K...
    Yeah right. Next you'll be telling me that Tomac doesn't ride for them any more.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Yeah right. Next you'll be telling me that Tomac doesn't ride for them any more.
    No, but rumor is he is looking to leave Yeti for a team that can offer him more Neon Lycra

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Guys, thanks for the input. Based on what I'm reading, I better find a dealer. Sounds like the ASR has some different design principals then what I'm use to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Soooo, What bike did you decide on? I'm looking at those very two bikes and can't decide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Jenson frame+fork deal is too good to pass up! You can build a wonderful ASR with the current 15QR FOX fork....the LX kit is cheap too...just amazing what you can build with the current deals online.

If your not into building, then the superlight would work well too.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I took the plunge today and ordered the yeti deal on jensons. I got the black one with the 30mm seatpost. I heard those had a little more of a slacker angle to it. Can anyone confirm that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeti 69 degree headangle with 100m fork