mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Yeti Lawwill custom race frame? Need help with identification!

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I picked up a Durango-made Yeti frame recently and I'm just trying to figure out what exactly I have. It looks like a 1998 or so Lawwill DH-6, with a few exceptions. Most noticeable are the two-piece swingarm, the connection between the rear chainstays and the swingarms, and the front piece of the chainstays. Everything looks more beefy than usual. The connecting piece is much more significant than the black ones I see in all the pictures, and looks like its setup to take a 15mm through-axle.

This particular frame I was told was raced by Jurgen Beneke. You can still see where the Beneke name stickers were on both sides of the top tubes. All the decals have been removed but I can also see the swingarms used to have giant "SHIMANO" decals on both sides, and I think the downtube had the old "EASTON" logos, as well as Yeti logos. So, what model is this exactly? Is it a Lawwill that's been built up for racing? Something custom? Or just something I haven't been able to find yet? I've included several pictures to hopefully help identify.

Any help you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Chris

EDIT: Posted this in Bike and Frame discussion first. Was told it might be better to post it in the Yeti forum. I know I'm a noob to this forum so feel free to give me crap for posting this with a super low post count.

Who is John Galt?
    Nice piece of history. Are you going to build it up? If you don't get any luck here, try http://yetifan.com , there's lots of history on the site and the owner seems to be pretty sharp on this sort of thing.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it possible that this is a standard DH-6 frame with a custom built rear triangle? I've done hours of Googling and still come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am not an expert, but have owned several Yetis, including a DH4.

The chainstays apear to be similar to the stock Lawwills, the bearings are different. Compare this to my 1998 DH4.

Since the frame was used for racing, could it be possible that the swingarm had a crack and the two-piece setup was to fix it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti Lawwill custom race frame?  Need help with identification!-04.jpg  

Yeti Lawwill custom race frame?  Need help with identification!-05.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been searching for years trying to get on of these! Lucky bastard...Sell to me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey RC - it looks like the rear wheel on yours has a through axle. Is this how the stock Lawwills are set up? I haven't been able to find a clear picture like that of the rear connecting pieces between the arm and the chainstay, but most others online seem thinner than yours and set up for a standard wheel mount. Is the only difference between mine and stock then just the color?

Looks like the major difference between the two then is the two-piece swingarm. I'm wondering though if that wasn't done for repair as much as for building it up a bit. You'll notice my spring is MUCH heavier than stock (and it's quite a beast to get it to rebound). Maybe this was just a race mod by Yeti? Any more ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oh, and Ricocheted, I haven't decided whether to sell it or build it up yet, but I could let you know.

On another note - does anyone know for sure if Jurgen Beneke raced for Yeti at one point? I can only barely find any info about it online. I'd love to find out more about the history of this particular frame. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the closeup pics again - they're really helping out. I actually just noticed a few more significant differences, and I'm posting some more pictures to illustrate. First off - the cable guides on my frame are all welded - chainstays and main triangle as well. It appears the stock frames have riveted cable guides. The chainstays on this frame are slightly different as they have a sharp angle at the end where the connecting piece is welded on. And lastly, the connections between the chainstays and the arms are a little bit bulkier with a significant difference in how they're mounted. This frame has large flush mount bolts versus the smaller standard bolts on the regular frame.

Just thought I'd point those out. Here are the pictures. Any more ideas? I really need to call Yeti directly on this one, but my phone's down. Anyone have their customer service email (can't find it on the website).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The cable guides on my DH4 were riveted on the main triangle. The through axles looks identical to yours, itīs larger on the left side to accomdate the floating brake mount and threaded on the other side.
    As far as I know all Yeti Lawwills had this through axel setup, although later versions had different diameters.

The black plastic fin on the connecting links is something I have not seen before.

BTW the spring on mine was a 600 x 2.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably a proto team DH-6. If anything, I'd contact Yeti directly because this is the type of frame that they are VERY interested in having around the museum.