Thread: YETI Hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

YETI Hardtail

I have always dreamed of owning a YETI, since the first day I saw one, it was an all white ARC in Big Bear.

I am looking at two alloy FRO's offered at $600 and $700 each, with TLD pinstripping.

do yo guys think i should go for one of this rigs..?

please comment

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thank you for your comments amigos...you have been a very helpful bunch...

Gravity Tester
    Jeez - whaddaya want?

You've basically told us you always wanted a ARC and now you have the option to buy one, and you're asking us what to do? You want it, buy it. Sounds like decent pricing, so what's the issue?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmm, well these are FRO's and he had his heart set on an ARC. The post has been up all of 2 days which is a bit quick to be screaming abuse regarding a lack of input.

Bear in mind that most (80% or more?) of the Yeti trade would be in dual sus, not in the 2 models of HT they make and you're talking about a model that has been out of production for a good while...

If I had to get any HT for XC duties, it'd be an ARC. I was very fond of mine but I needed more squish so I've just picked up a second hand AS-R. Never ridden a FRO, can't comment.

I'm sorry but asking for advice about a long out of production HT on a forum mainly trafficked by current model dually riders, you're likely going to have to wait more than 2 days for useful input, especially when you're talking about a lower volume boutique brand. Be patient.

Check out Yetifan.com and see if they have any useful info that is relevant to you.

Drew

www.yetifan.com
    Hey Drew, thanks for the plug.

Basically what your looking at is an 8 year old Alloy MTB frame, with no disc mounts.

If you always wanted an ARC, then the Alloy FRO is a close second best, they were good bikes, always were, but things have moved on, the Alloy FRO will be good for 63mm forks, 80mm Max. They might have a 1 1/4 headtube, I can't remember, so you'll need spacers or a Chris King if you want to fit modern forks.

If you already have another bike that you ride, and just want to indulge your old skool thoughts, then get the one of the 2 thats in best condition. It will be a blast to ride. But make sure you have something more modern for your 'major rides'.

Don't get me wrong, they will ride brilliantly, and as 98 year bikes go, they will be supreme. But its an age thing, give a good light Alu frame like the ARC 5 -7 years, and a heavier alloy frame like the FRO maybe a life span of 10 years before its past it. (NOTE- if both have been used every weekend all their life!) If they have had light use, they will serve you well.

Any pics of them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job!

I am restoring my beloved 1993 Pro FRO which has been waiting patiently while I rode first a 2003 ARC and a 2004 AS-R. (I got a deal on the frames )

The fact that I am redoing the Pro FRO is testament to how overbuilt they are. I raced it for years and rode like a madman and it took it all...and still it seems quite happy!

The ARC from the beginning was minimal weight, max strength. I talked to Yeti and they assured me it would be ok for my size and was GUARANTEED TO for 5 years. I didn't ride it much but it was true to their word.

I think you can't go wrong with either frame...the Pro FRO feels ready for the Apocalypse indestructable and the ARC feels race light but not Ritchey P-21 ride one year and throw away light!

I hope you find a great frame and maybe Yeti will recreate the FRO (in 29!) someday...

(if you need a Large ARC frame let me know!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gracias,
    now I'am better informed with your comments, if I do get it (if no one beats me to it) it will be my second bike, my other one is am older (92) Kona explosif Tange prestige tubing. So this one will be my main bike.