Lurking since 1999
    Jun 2006

Yeti DH-9 - All Mountain/Freeride?

Up here near Lake Tahoe in the Sierra mountains, it is not uncommon to see heavy bikes being used for epic / all-mountain rides. Examples include: SC Bullits, Titus Super-Motos, SC VP-Free's various Kona's ...etc. The terrain has many natural drops, hucks, gaps, and there is benefit to a sturdy long-travel bike, as long as you can pedal it up. My question is, can a Yeti DH-9 fill this role as well? I have seen on-line where folks have fitted front deraileurs to them. And the overall geometry (angles, wheel-base and top tube length) very close to the VP-Free. Does anyone actually pedal DH-9's up or spend all day on them?

mtbr member
    I've ridden the DH9 a good bit. It ain't light even for a DH bike. About 12.5 - 13.0. It also had a very low BB (14.0" if I remember right) and a very slack HA (64 degrees w/ 7" fork). Pedaling wise it was not one of the better DH bikes. It does pedal very neutral, but that's not a good thing with 9" of travel. You will need a good bit of pedal feed back to get up any hill.

However, the ASX sounds like the perfect bike for what you want to do!
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Lurking since 1999
    Jun 2006
    I used to have a Schwinn 4 Banger, and I remember how much I liked the Lawwill rear suspension qualities. Having lost the 4-Banger to theft, I switched to a Blur. I like the Blur but my style of riding has changed along with a move to the mountains. It's too bad that Yeti did not develop the Lawwill into a 5in and 7in versions and corresponding Trail / All Mountain / Freeride geometry. Short list for me now is Heckler, AS-X (which I'm just starting to research) or perhapse a light VP-Free.