Lurking since 1999
    Jun 2006

Yeti DH-9 - All Mountain/Freeride?

Up here near Lake Tahoe in the Sierra mountains, it is not uncommon to see heavy bikes being used for epic / all-mountain rides. Examples include: SC Bullits, Titus Super-Motos, SC VP-Free's various Kona's ...etc. The terrain has many natural drops, hucks, gaps, and there is benefit to a sturdy long-travel bike, as long as you can pedal it up. My question is, can a Yeti DH-9 fill this role as well? I have seen on-line where folks have fitted front deraileurs to them. And the overall geometry (angles, wheel-base and top tube length) very close to the VP-Free. Does anyone actually pedal DH-9's up or spend all day on them?

mtbr member
    I've ridden the DH9 a good bit. It ain't light even for a DH bike. About 12.5 - 13.0. It also had a very low BB (14.0" if I remember right) and a very slack HA (64 degrees w/ 7" fork). Pedaling wise it was not one of the better DH bikes. It does pedal very neutral, but that's not a good thing with 9" of travel. You will need a good bit of pedal feed back to get up any hill.

However, the ASX sounds like the perfect bike for what you want to do!
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

Lurking since 1999
    Jun 2006
    I used to have a Schwinn 4 Banger, and I remember how much I liked the Lawwill rear suspension qualities. Having lost the 4-Banger to theft, I switched to a Blur. I like the Blur but my style of riding has changed along with a move to the mountains. It's too bad that Yeti did not develop the Lawwill into a 5in and 7in versions and corresponding Trail / All Mountain / Freeride geometry. Short list for me now is Heckler, AS-X (which I'm just starting to research) or perhapse a light VP-Free.