Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snickers driven

yeti in da house! ASR5

joined the tribe precisely at 1.15 today, been a long time coming. Meet my new ASR-5, large alloy enduro kit, in gunmetal slate grey. Hooo boy! Upgraded brakes to hayes stroker trails, now she's a rockin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yeti in da house! ASR5-asr5.jpg  

Last edited by MTB ABQ; 06-12-2010 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Noice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice!!
    Good to see that you got the new fox forks

Mai
    mtbr member
    Welcome to The TRIBE

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

Calm like a Bomb
    welcome..sick bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Count me in to. Small with the Enduro kit.

I swapped out the wheels and tires for Stans ZTR Olympic rims with Hope Pro II hubs and Conti Mountain King 2.2 tubeless.

I'd like it to lose some more weight eventually without going $$ crazy, but aside from replacing my ancient Shimano M521 pedals, seatpost, and handlebar, I'm not sure what I might reasonably do.

If it ever stops raining in Denver, I might actually get to ride it.

snickers driven
    thx everyone, I've been having a ball: better climber, better descender, and the jumps! she's so light on her feet, seems she just wants to float off every whoopty-doo. Schweet!

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike! Quick question, how tall are you?
    Maintain internal heights.

snickers driven
    6', 6'-1" in cleats. M definitely too small in the 5, while I was thinking the med 575 could've been built up to fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen
    Count me in to. Small with the Enduro kit.

I swapped out the wheels and tires for Stans ZTR Olympic rims with Hope Pro II hubs and Conti Mountain King 2.2 tubeless.

I'd like it to lose some more weight eventually without going $$ crazy, but aside from replacing my ancient Shimano M521 pedals, seatpost, and handlebar, I'm not sure what I might reasonably do.

If it ever stops raining in Denver, I might actually get to ride it.

Hi Rufhausen

Nice bike, How tall are you? I'm 5.3" so I don't know if the S or XS is the best opcion for mee. Do you know the weight (original and after you modcifications). Also do you know the large of the size of the stem. Thansk!!

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB ABQ
    joined the tribe precisely at 1.15 today, been a long time coming. Meet my new ASR-5, large alloy enduro kit, in gunmetal slate grey. Hooo boy! Upgraded brakes to hayes stroker trails, now she's a rockin
    Schweet ride! Great color! Dang, I really really want mine now... at least it's raining in Golden at the moment and the trails are soaked. Boo...

Quote Originally Posted by twin
    Nice bike, How tall are you? I'm 5.3" so I don't know if the S or XS is the best opcion for mee.
    My girlfriend is between 5'1" and 5'2" and she's ridden both the S and XS. We just ordered her the XS, she felt it fit much better. Her good friend is a couple inches taller and got the S. That may or may not be of much help to you?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike!
    Nice choice.
    The only issues I've had is the the Mavic Cross Ride hubs. They are center lock but come with a 6 bolt adaptor... my discks are 6 bolt. I had both retainer rings come loose! The rear came loose and allowed the disk to spin on the 6 bolt adapter. Not good.

It's such a nice XC bike! My fist FS bike as well and SUPER easy to ride hard!

Go get it dirty!

Oh.... I'm 6 feet tall and went with a medium.

snickers driven

dirty deed done!

dirty? done! put 32 miles on her this weekend, incl her first scratch, sniff. what a fun ride!

mtbr member
    Hey, can you snap a pic of your rear deraileur cable routing as it exits the swing arm?
    I think I may have too much of a loop happening.

again, SUPER nice bike....
    I'm running the 575 brakes. They are OK, but I can't find much info at all on them. I've got a 180mm rotor and adaptor going on this week. That should help. nice Hayes setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hi Rufhausen

Nice bike, How tall are you? I'm 5.3" so I don't know if the S or XS is the best opcion for mee. Do you know the weight (original and after you modcifications). Also do you know the large of the size of the stem. Thansk!!
    I'm 5'6". I demoed the Medium and it just felt a little big while the Small felt perfect in the shop, though there's not a whole lot of difference between the two in terms of geometry.

Looks like only .2 inches difference in standover height between XS and S, but that's affected by the tires and the stock tires are bigger than what I have. The effective top tube length might be more of a determining factor for you, depending on how long your arms are, etc.

I don't know the weight before the wheelset/tires swap, but I can feel the difference for sure.

I'll have to check on the stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cducati
    Hey, can you snap a pic of your rear deraileur cable routing as it exits the swing arm?
    I think I may have too much of a loop happening.

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    I have a rather large loop that's caused some rubbing as the cable housing enters the rear of the swin arm.
    Time to re adjust.

Thanks!

snickers driven
    beat me to it, but mine is much the same as ncativo's above. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Beautiful Bike..

What does that thing weigh? Is the back end stiff laterally?

How is the bob going up hill? Do you have to use pro pedal?

This bike is on my short list and I do not want to spend the extra to go carbon....yours is awesome in that grey.

snickers driven
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve34
    What does that thing weigh? Is the back end stiff laterally?

How is the bob going up hill? Do you have to use pro pedal?

This bike is on my short list and I do not want to spend the extra to go carbon....yours is awesome in that grey.
    (edit): 29-30 pounds on the kitchen scale. She's very responsive in acceleration, railing the turns.

She is a stellar climber, best I've ridden hands down, but I'm certainly no bike guru. No propedal required, tho you can feel her stiffen a bit with it on the lightest of 3 settings. I played around a bit w/ propedal this weekend, ended up just leaving it off for last coupla rides, the last ride a strenuous uphill out and back- Faulty Trail. As for color, she's a matte anodized gunmetal gray, little bit o blue undertone tinting the gray, subtle + super schweet.

more asr5 ride info here on mtbr

asr5 review on the blahg

575 review on blog

asr5 vs 575 review on blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Here's Mine In White

yeti in da house! ASR5-yeti-asr5-160610.jpg

Another new member, had my 5 (alloy) for 2 months/100 miles now and love it. Mine came in at 27.5 lbs (pedals on).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by awd123
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yeti ASR5 160610.jpg 
Views:	4974 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	550261

Another new member, had my 5 (alloy) for 2 months/100 miles now and love it. Mine came in at 27.5 lbs (pedals on).
    Congras!

What size? I saw that you have slx so can you put you components? did you buy just the frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bought as a custom build from LBS as no complete ASR5's available at that time in the UK. Size is medium. Build as follows: -

Brakes/Crank/Shifters/Mechs all Shimano SLX
    Heatset - Chris King
    Stem - Thomson
    Bars - Moneylite XC70 carbon
    Seat post - Race Face Evolve
    Saddle - Yeti SDG
    Wheels - Stans 355 (tubeless) with Hope Pro II hubs
    Tires - Maxxis Ignitor
    Grips - Yeti lock on
    Pedals - DMR V8

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bought as a custom build from LBS as no complete ASR5's available at that time in the UK. Size is medium. Build as follows: -

Brakes/Crank/Shifters/Mechs all Shimano SLX
    Heatset - Chris King
    Stem - Thomson
    Bars - Moneylite XC70 carbon
    Seat post - Race Face Evolve
    Saddle - Yeti SDG
    Wheels - Stans 355 (tubeless) with Hope Pro II hubs
    Tires - Maxxis Ignitor
    Grips - Yeti lock on
    Pedals - DMR V8
    Nice. May I ask, why alloy? and not carbon. ride type?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Didn't consider carbon as total bike cost would have been too much (for me), extra £600 (I think) over the alloy for 1 lbs weigh saving.
    Also I usually keep my bike's for a long time and upgrade as I go and tend to agree with the review in What Mountain Bike, they tested the alloy vs. carbon back to back and came to the conclusion that the alloy would be more durable for long term ownership.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Didn't consider carbon as total bike cost would have been too much (for me), extra £600 (I think) over the alloy for 1 lbs weigh saving.
    Also I usually keep my bike's for a long time and upgrade as I go and tend to agree with the review in What Mountain Bike, they tested the alloy vs. carbon back to back and came to the conclusion that the alloy would be more durable for long term ownership.
    I saw the review too. Do you have it? can you scan and post it? 1 lb is a tentation. Anyway congras again and enjoy it.

bye

mtbr member

me too

Large Carbon at 5.06lbs arrived today at 10am. Waiting on the kit for the build to commence. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yeti in da house! ASR5-p1030231.jpg  

yeti in da house! ASR5-p1030232.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    my carbon ships tomorrow morning!

mtbr member
    Nice frame!
    Mine weighs in at 27.5 with pedals as well.

I ride with the propedal ON.
    It's still blow out if you take a big hit and feels super plush.

I don't see a need for a carbon frame, in my case, but they sure do look nice.
    You could shed some weight with hubs, wheels, seatpost stem, etc and get nice and light.

It's just fine for me as it is!

I LOVE the greay anodized as well.

The 2010's also have a moulded chainstay guard on the drive side lower and upper!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yeti ASR5 160610.jpg 
Views:	4974 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	550261

Nice colour.
    I actually wanted a white frame but I would have had to wait 4 weeks for that.
    Something i was not willing to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm ready to get my 5 but I can't figure out which frame size to get. I ride a large fsr xc right now and it seems just a little big but the medium was too small. When I compared geometrys to the 5, the medium 5 was closer to my large fsr. I'm 5,11 with a 33.5 inseam so I'm right on the bubble for frame size. Without being able to demo in my area, it's a tough decision.

mtbr member
    I'd rather a frame on the smaller side then one that's just too big.
    You can alway adjust parts to fit you if the frame is a bit small... longer stem layback seat post, etc.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not sure, but if it's any help I'm 5 9" with a medium 5, have low riser bars and 90cm stem. Feels like I've got plenty of room but I would have a concern about how much higher I would need the seat post if I was taller.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi Rufhausen

I'm 5'7" and the small is perfect - go smaller. As for weight look at Wheels - most bang for the $$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Has anyone else with the Small noticed an issue with the bottle cage location making it difficult to use the Pro Pedal lever when using a standard water bottle? I'm using the basic $4 bottle cage from REI. I'm wondering if there are cages with the hole in a higher position on the cage to make the bottle sit lower.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Has anyone else with the Small noticed an issue with the bottle cage location making it difficult to use the Pro Pedal lever when using a standard water bottle? I'm using the basic $4 bottle cage from REI. I'm wondering if there are cages with the hole in a higher position on the cage to make the bottle sit lower.
    I think is better if you put a picture of you situation. I use the carbon cage Elite they are very good and they have "the hole longer" check this link, but maybe you have to pay a little more than 4 usd
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Elite-carbon-fib...item439fcdf231

P.S. cmon 3000 usd bike and 4 water cage, something is wrong in this picture

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, here's the picture of my $4 cage on my 3k bike. Now, I'm no bottle cage aficionado, but in my experience the $4 variety hold a bottle as well as the $50 variety, albeit at the expense of some weight. But I digress... I picked up a couple of the smaller bottles (500ml/21oz. ?) and will just go with that for now. My Perpetuem or Heed will just be more concentrated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yeti in da house! ASR5-yeti-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK, here's the picture of my $4 cage on my 3k bike. Now, I'm no bottle cage aficionado, but in my experience the $4 variety hold a bottle as well as the $50 variety, albeit at the expense of some weight. But I digress... I picked up a couple of the smaller bottles (500ml/21oz. ?) and will just go with that for now. My Perpetuem or Heed will just be more concentrated.
    I glad that you fix the trouble. I use a lot my water cage. I'm not use too much my camell bag. I know spend 45 usd in a carbon water cage can be too much but you bike will say "thank you" but the way I bought two in ebay for 34 usd

Bike, I mean bye

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My Yeti dealer had a cage that you take out the bottle from the side - never seen one before, I was skeptical, but it works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STEAMBOATBUCKEYE
    My Yeti dealer had a cage that you take out the bottle from the side - never seen one before, I was skeptical, but it works great.
    I've seen one of those as well, but the issue is that a standard bottle will rub the pro pedal lever, making it hard to use and making it easy to move the lever when removing the bottle (side load or not).
    Did an awesome ride out at Buffalo Creek, CO today with some smaller bottles and all is well, so no more worries.

American Made!
    White Carbon Large, absolutely love this bike!

I9 wheelset with Stans Arch Rims running 12x142 rear dropout
    Full SRAM XX group
    Sunline V1 745mm Handlebar and Sunline XC1 stem 80mm
    Crank Bros Joplin 4 with Remote
    25.7 lbs with Time pedals

I've been riding this beauty for over a month and the only drawback is not enough time to ride seriously I've got over 300 miles on her already and she rips!
    The only thing I wish for is a bit longer fork for some of the steeper rock rolls found in sunny socal but I just get back as far as possible to keep her rolling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yeti in da house! ASR5-img_1352.jpg  

yeti in da house! ASR5-img_1358.jpg  

yeti in da house! ASR5-img_1353.jpg  

What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Argument for alloy....

Beautiful bike; your comment about wanting the longer fork further cements my conclusion that if I get this bike, alloy would be the way to go so I can do a 140 fork......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have yall seen the Yeti CA roadtrip vid they posted last week? It's got a ridiculous NorCal segment of Aaron Gwin riding the piss out of his 5... how it was meant to be ridden. Hellsyeah.

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/video/new/2010California/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    new asr-5c in the house

Here's my ASR-5C enduro build in size small. I dropped over a pound by swapping out the seatpost, stem, bars and grips, and probably another half pound in tires. It sits at a little over 25lbs on a bathroom scale.

I've got 3 rides and a race in on it and it's a fast bike. With pro-pedal on there is minimal bob out of the saddle and with it off, the rear suspension is plenty plush for bombing down hill. Bombing downhill is definitely what this bike was designed to do. The 68* HTA slows things up in tight single track a tad, but makes the bike a beast down the hill. Another advantage to the HTA is jumps. The bike is very neutral in the air and is much less prone to endo's.

The bike is stiff and feels tough. I've already got a big wreck on it thanks to the stock 27" bars. I was bombing through a rock garden at my local trail and clipped a tree, sent me over the bars, with a badly bruised leg, but the bike was fine, not even a scratch.

Although the bike feels perfectly setup for trail riding, I plan on XC racing it all season. The only thing you give up is fork bob with the 120mm up front. At 25lbs it's XC weight and i plan on losing another pound in wheels and another pound in brakes and 10 speed components. At 23 lbs it will be a great xc/trail/endurance racer.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    how much did u spend in lightening it up? I considered it, then went with the race buld - 26 lbs with pedals, so probably similar - my wife might have strangled me obsessing over grams to replace parts on my new bike!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got the monkeylite bars off craigslist for $80, F99 stem was $90, grips were $15, and the Thomson seatpost I had from my old bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Congratulations!! Nice.

You came for a specialized fsr, right? what year and model.? How you fell the difference between both bikes?

That's cool that you are enjoying the bike. good for you

Ehh I didn't see the water bottle

we need more pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Congrastulations!! Nice.

You came for a specialized fsr, right? what year and model.? How you fell the difference between both bikes?

That's cool that you are enjoying the bike. good for you

Ehh I didn dee the water bottle

we need more pictures.
    How works the brakes? do you fell the diference between the forks (QR / 15mm)?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have an 07 SJ FSR Elite. The Triad shock is pretty bad, lots of pedal bob, and the rear triangle has lots of flex. The Yeti is a much stiffer bike, accelerates faster, and holds a line much better. Also I think the 120mm front fork is better matched for my riding versus the 140 on the SJ. The tapered 15qr fork feels really stiff.

The enduro components are OK, nothing to write home about. I'll end up replacing everything down the road. I like my Juicy 7's better than the LX on the Yeti, but the LX gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    I have an 07 SJ FSR Elite. The Triad shock is pretty bad, lots of pedal bob, and the rear triangle has lots of flex. The Yeti is a much stiffer bike, accelerates faster, and holds a line much better. Also I think the 120mm front fork is better matched for my riding versus the 140 on the SJ. The tapered 15qr fork feels really stiff.

The enduro components are OK, nothing to write home about. I'll end up replacing everything down the road. I like my Juicy 7's better than the LX on the Yeti, but the LX gets the job done.
    I have the stumpjumper Expert 2006 (talas 90-130, triad, juicy 7, xt) in small size. I think Yeti will be a good opcion for me, maybe I will buy the alloy a Ilke the carbon but i want something that I can use for other 5 years( The true is I think the carbon can break a little more easy). Anyway good for you as I said we need more pictures

SEEE YOUUU in the trails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast