Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Yeti Confusion - SB75, 575, or wait to see what comes out at Sea Otter

Hey folks, I've got a question for all you Yeti people in the know. I've been searching forums high and low trying to learn the ins and outs of the SB75 and the 575. Along the way I'd read some posts indicating that people are expecting Yeti to introduce some new bikes soon, probably at Sea Otter this April.

So here's the question: make up my mind and get either the SB75 or 575... OR, wait until Sea Otter and get the newest, latest and greatest? If I did decide to wait until the introduction about how soon following the introduction are these new models available to be purchased?

Thanks in advance.

Ipe

mtbr member
    How long are you willing to wait?
    If your trails are covered with snow, and you have a working bike already, it may be worth it.
    I don't have inside info, but right now, it seems the 575 is hard to come by. I ordered in December, and got it last week. I thought about changing colors before it shipped, but it was the only one available. (no idea about SB75)

mtbr member

I'd wait for Sea Otter if you can. And like reformed roadie said you might be waiting a while if you choose the 575.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd wait. I asked my LBS last week out of curiosity about their sales figure on the SB75 and new 575. I was told the 575 was selling like hot cakes where as the SB75 not so much. The dude I talked to thinks a new SB version might come out soon but who knows how much merit there is to that :shrug:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As of right now we've got two feet of snow on the ground so waiting really isn't that horrible of an option. My big concern is that everything seems to disappear before its introduced. For a bit I was all excited about the Norco Sight Carbon and the new Kona processes. Visited the local dealers and it basically boiled down to: If you didn't order one in October 2013 you ain't getting one in 2014. I'd hate to have that happen with the new Yeti 27.5.

So, assuming that I wait until Sea Otter, can I watch for an announcement here or on Pinkbike about this new 27.5 Yeti, see it and immediately contact my Yeti dealer to order one, and then, bing!, Bob's your uncle, have it a week or so after? (wow, thats a run on sentence!) Or.... will I be waiting for many more months following Sea Otter before it becomes available? Does this make any sense?

mtbr member
    Heres my forecast for Yeti, a new SB76 to replace the SB66 with matching geometry. And keep the SB75 for all around trail riding, kinda like Solo and Bronson. Also a carbon version of the SB75. Also a totally new suspension design to come out and displayed at the Sea otter in April, that has been in the works for the past 3 years. Again, just speculating.

If you wait to see whats new is coming out anytime between now and December, you probably won't get a hold of one for another 6-12 months after that. I ordered my SB75 in yellow back in November. Still haven't seen it and the date keeps getting pushed back a month at a time. They should've called it Elusive Yellow since you can't get a hold of one, LOL! My advice, just order the bike and enjoy it now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As of right now we've got two feet of snow on the ground so waiting really isn't that horrible of an option. My big concern is that everything seems to disappear before its introduced. For a bit I was all excited about the Norco Sight Carbon and the new Kona processes. Visited the local dealers and it basically boiled down to: If you didn't order one in October 2013 you ain't getting one in 2014. I'd hate to have that happen with the new Yeti 27.5.

So, assuming that I wait until Sea Otter, can I watch for an announcement here or on Pinkbike about this new 27.5 Yeti, see it and immediately contact my Yeti dealer to order one, and then, bing!, Bob's your uncle, have it a week or so after? (wow, thats a run on sentence!) Or.... will I be waiting for many more months following Sea Otter before it becomes available? Does this make any sense?
    Wait for sea otter. Then order one from your LBS and one from competitive cyclist. Keep the one that ships first, cancel the other one. If you are color agnostic, order two different colors. Your odds of being on one of the first shipments will go up a lot that way

mtbr member

New suspension design why? Switch is only three years old.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Just curious - what makes everyone think we're introducing something new at Sea Otter? This will be my 4th Sea Otter with Yeti, and in that time, we've only done an immediate release at SO once -last year with the 95C and ARC-C. In fairness, we did show the media the 66A at SO in '11, but they weren't allowed to show it to the public until late June.

I've said this a million times, but it bears repeating - if we don't have something in our lineup you love right now, find something else. We absolutely hate to lose customers to other brands, but we'd rather see you guys out shredding trails than waiting around for our admittedly slow-but-very-careful product development cycle, or, worse yet, buying a Yeti you don't like that much.

If you're waiting and waiting, that's just likely to cause frustration. If you buy a Yeti you don't love, we probably won't get another chance to win your business.

We think our current range stands alone as a great lineup, but we also understand that we're only as good as our last great model. With that in mind, we're constantly evolving and are very confident in the direction we're going with new technologies and some radical new designs.

Odds are, we'll produce something soon that you can't live without, and that's when we'll earn your business. In my experience, instilling that sort of passion in our customers is the best way to build longterm relationships.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Just curious - what makes everyone think we're introducing something new at Sea Otter? This will be my 4th Sea Otter with Yeti, and in that time, we've only done an immediate release at SO once -last year with the 95C and ARC-C. In fairness, we did show the media the 66A at SO in '11, but they weren't allowed to show it to the public until late June.

I've said this a million times, but it bears repeating - if we don't have something in our lineup you love right now, find something else. We absolutely hate to lose customers to other brands, but we'd rather see you guys out shredding trails than waiting around for our admittedly slow-but-very-careful product development cycle, or, worse yet, buying a Yeti you don't like that much.

If you're waiting and waiting, that's just likely to cause frustration. If you buy a Yeti you don't love, we probably won't get another chance to win your business.

We think our current range stands alone as a great lineup, but we also understand that we're only as good as our last great model. With that in mind, we're constantly evolving and are very confident in the direction we're going with new technologies and some radical new designs.

Odds are, we'll produce something soon that you can't live without, and that's when we'll earn your business. In my experience, instilling that sort of passion in our customers is the best way to build longterm relationships.

JP

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Well said...
    A little aggressive or like a father's punishing phrase , I'd cool a little down pal ... but well said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    A little aggressive or like a father's punishing phrase , I'd cool a little down pal ... but well said.
    "Said well". Fixed! Lol!

I'm still waiting on my sb75 that I ordered back in November. Trying hard to be patient. I've been tempted many times by Santa Cruz, but in the end, I think it'll be worth the wait. If yeti came out with a SB75 and SB76 at the same time, my choice would still be the 75 based on my trails and the amount of climbing I do. The geometry is exactly what I need. And the Yellow is sick as hell! Hopefully I get it soon coz it's 70 degrees here in northern California!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeti Confusion - SB75, 575, or wait to see what comes out at Sea Otter-img_2454.jpg

JP

JP, well said, this is why I ride Yeti. Small, medium and large wheeled rides.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    I'm still waiting on my sb75 that I ordered back in November. Trying hard to be patient. I've been tempted many times by Santa Cruz, but in the end, I think it'll be worth the wait. If yeti came out with a SB75 and SB76 at the same time, my choice would still be the 75 based on my trails and the amount of climbing I do. The geometry is exactly what I need. And the Yellow is sick as hell! Hopefully I get it soon coz it's 70 degrees here in northern California!
    Get a SC Bronson or 5010, then swap out the frame for a SB76C (if it ever gets made). The Bronson is a good climber, I would imagine the 5010 even more so.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey folks,
    Thanks to all that replied in this thread. I was finally able to get down to the LBS and ride several bikes. Among them were the SB75, a Kona Precept, and an Intense Tracer 27.5. None of them gave me that "I love this thing!" feeling. Seeing as I had been planning on spending well north of 3k that feeling was a requirement, not just a "nice to have" item.

So, when I return from another test ride my sales guy had to take a call (He had placed a call to Yeti so I was hoping it was them) so I was waiting about and looking at the racks of bikes just to see what there was to see. Well, in the rack I find a SB66c that was way above my budget. Sales guy comes over and we chat about things for a moment and how everything I've tried just had this vanilla feeling. Then he mentions that the 66 is 30% off. I do some mental math and yep, at that point I can afford it. I had really wanted a 27.5 bike, but I figured what the heck, I'll try it. We check seat height and sag and off I go.

Holy Sheet!!!

It didn't take more than 100 feet of riding to tell that this was what I was missing. The rest of the ride confirmed it. I returned to the shop with a grin from ear to ear. Yep, this is the one. I put down a hefty deposit and she'll be coming home next week.

FWIW, I had almost made up my mind for the SB75, but with my short legs and longer torso there was no room for a dropper post on a medium SB75. As I understand it future SB75's may have a lower seatpost mast but as far as the one at the LBS, it was a no-go, at least for me.

FWIW II - I'm confident that the day after I bring my SB66c home Yeti will announce the new SB77 wonderbike (or something like that) but JohnP made a great point above. Ride the bike thats available, not wish for the next best thing. If I do that I'd always be waiting. Better to ride now.

Thanks again for your input!

Now all I need is for all this snow to melt. Can't wait, so excited!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

JP
    John, there's one thing you are leaving out of that equation; $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not everybody has thousands of dollars to be changing bikes every time a new one comes out to the market. Odds are that whenever Yeti launches its next big thing, customers will already have spent their money on another bike and may not be able to give Yeti their business. My personal frustration is that equal to giantdefy, I already paid for and ordered my SB75 and it's the delivery date keeps being pushed back which makes me wonder off to other alternatives.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
    Hey folks,
    Thanks to all that replied in this thread. I was finally able to get down to the LBS and ride several bikes. Among them were the SB75, a Kona Precept, and an Intense Tracer 27.5. None of them gave me that "I love this thing!" feeling. Seeing as I had been planning on spending well north of 3k that feeling was a requirement, not just a "nice to have" item.

So, when I return from another test ride my sales guy had to take a call (He had placed a call to Yeti so I was hoping it was them) so I was waiting about and looking at the racks of bikes just to see what there was to see. Well, in the rack I find a SB66c that was way above my budget. Sales guy comes over and we chat about things for a moment and how everything I've tried just had this vanilla feeling. Then he mentions that the 66 is 30% off. I do some mental math and yep, at that point I can afford it. I had really wanted a 27.5 bike, but I figured what the heck, I'll try it. We check seat height and sag and off I go.

Holy Sheet!!!

It didn't take more than 100 feet of riding to tell that this was what I was missing. The rest of the ride confirmed it. I returned to the shop with a grin from ear to ear. Yep, this is the one. I put down a hefty deposit and she'll be coming home next week.

FWIW, I had almost made up my mind for the SB75, but with my short legs and longer torso there was no room for a dropper post on a medium SB75. As I understand it future SB75's may have a lower seatpost mast but as far as the one at the LBS, it was a no-go, at least for me.

FWIW II - I'm confident that the day after I bring my SB66c home Yeti will announce the new SB77 wonderbike (or something like that) but JohnP made a great point above. Ride the bike thats available, not wish for the next best thing. If I do that I'd always be waiting. Better to ride now.

Thanks again for your input!

Now all I need is for all this snow to melt. Can't wait, so excited!
    Awesome good choice!!! The SB66c is one sweet ride you will love it! I haven't put mine down since I got it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moranpepe View Post
    ...My personal frustration is that equal to giantdefy, I already paid for and ordered my SB75 and it's the delivery date keeps being pushed back which makes me wonder off to other alternatives.
    I placed an order yesterday on my LBS for a yellow bike. Delivery will "happen" on April, however no specific date was mentioned. I am wondering if I'm getting in the same boat as tons of other guys who placed orders on November and they are still waiting. I can wait till April because I don't see the snow melting away soon, but as soon as they push the delivery date, I will cancel the order and go look for an alternative 650 bike.
    This will be my first Yeti, so I hope I don't get disappointed even before putting my hands on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by partusa View Post
    I placed an order yesterday on my LBS for a yellow bike. Delivery will "happen" on April, however no specific date was mentioned. I am wondering if I'm getting in the same boat as tons of other guys who placed orders on November and they are still waiting. I can wait till April because I don't see the snow melting away soon, but as soon as they push the delivery date, I will cancel the order and go look for an alternative 650 bike.
    This will be my first Yeti, so I hope I don't get disappointed even before putting my hands on it.
    After a short urban ride on my 575, id say its def worth the wait...
    such a fun bike!Yeti Confusion - SB75, 575, or wait to see what comes out at Sea Otter-image.jpg

Your bike sucks
    Glad the OP got the 66c. Congrats. Wheelsize is only one small consideration in getting the right bike, I didn't flinch one bit about recently selecting a 26'' over 27.5'' options. 27.5 is interesting but not at the cost of getting the right bike for your purpose.

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kbem View Post
    After a short urban ride on my 575, id say its def worth the wait...
    such a fun bike!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	874838
    This is a great looking bike. I'm sure you'll love it. I wish that my LBS had had one to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Glad the OP got the 66c. Congrats. Wheelsize is only one small consideration in getting the right bike, I didn't flinch one bit about recently selecting a 26'' over 27.5'' options. 27.5 is interesting but not at the cost of getting the right bike for your purpose.
    Thanks, that was my thinking. The 66 was just plain right for me. I'm having the LBS swap the rear derailleur for an XT shadow +, dropping the big ring and adding a bash guard, and installing a LEV. I've got some family commitments the next couple weekends so I can't pick her up for a little bit, pus there's still two feet of snow on the ground....

But, ignoring all that.... I can't wait!

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    John, there's one thing you are leaving out of that equation; $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not everybody has thousands of dollars to be changing bikes every time a new one comes out to the market. Odds are that whenever Yeti launches its next big thing, customers will already have spent their money on another bike and may not be able to give Yeti their business. My personal frustration is that equal to giantdefy, I already paid for and ordered my SB75 and it's the delivery date keeps being pushed back which makes me wonder off to other alternatives.
    Believe me, I totally understand that money is a huge issue for everyone buying a bike, myself included.

My point is that if you make your decision based on what's the best bike you can afford right now, who cares what's next? There's always something better "just around the corner", so enjoy what you have and don't get caught up in the hype.

We understand that customers may have already gone in another direction and can't afford to come back to us the moment we release something new. That's cool, too. There's really no solution for the problem, so we'll just keep innovating, and hopefully some day we'll have a bike that you're lusting after at the same time you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Cheers,

JP

mtbr member
    I just went through the same decision you are wrestling with now. I canceled my SB75 order and I'm waiting on Sea Otter to see if anything new comes out or maybe a early summer release. I couldn't justify spending the $ on a bike that is not on par with the market it is in. If a 6" 27.5 non single pivot bike comes out from Yeti I'm all in, but the offerings they have on the table now has me considering another brand. Something I haven't done since Volant moved the company to Golden. Bummer.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    May 2011
    glad i saw this thread. I've been a yeti guy for a long time and have been on a 575 95% of my mtn bike riding life. I have to say i'm really disappointed in Yeti. First, they are cancelling orders for SB66s and then they make (in my opinion) a sub par bike in the SB75 that is heavy, less travel than the 66 and didn't ride up to yeti standards when I tried one out. What gives? I've had my latest 575 for awhile and would like to replace it and i've always given my money to Yeti because I feel like they were one of the leaders in the industry, but this is the first year i'm considering going to another brand. Hoping to have some better answers to the confusion soon...

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    glad i saw this thread. I've been a yeti guy for a long time and have been on a 575 95% of my mtn bike riding life. I have to say i'm really disappointed in Yeti. First, they are cancelling orders for SB66s and then they make (in my opinion) a sub par bike in the SB75 that is heavy, less travel than the 66 and didn't ride up to yeti standards when I tried one out. What gives? I've had my latest 575 for awhile and would like to replace it and i've always given my money to Yeti because I feel like they were one of the leaders in the industry, but this is the first year i'm considering going to another brand. Hoping to have some better answers to the confusion soon...
    Sorry to hear you're disappointed in us. That's tough to hear. A couple of questions:
    1. Where did you hear we're 'canceling' 66 orders? We had a very tiny amount of preseason orders on that model, so we had to make some tough choices. For the very few dealers who did commit to this model, we filled those orders. I've covered this issue ad nauseum in other threads.
    2. If you like your current/past 575's so much, why not try the 2014 model? It's head-and-shoulders better than any previous version of 575 we've ever released, with the 27.5's, new geometry, and a much improved suspension rate.
    3. The SB75 was designed to be a cost effective model to allow customers to get on new technology (650B; Switch; etc.) at an affordable price. Sorry to hear you think it's subpar; that's a bummer.
    4. I've said this ad nauseum as well: we're working on some insanely cool stuff right now, but as is usually the case with us, we take our time to perfect our new models and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by SicBith View Post
    I canceled my SB75 order and I'm waiting on Sea Otter to see if anything new comes out or maybe a early summer release.
    I've said this a million times as well: for the love of god, please don't wait for Sea Otter or some other arbitrary date in the future. Waiting around only leads to frustration, and we'd rather see you out riding - even if it's on a competitor's bike - than sitting around home pissed off at us because we're taking our time to perfect new stuff. My advice is to ask yourself a few simple questions:

1. Does anything in Yeti's lineup make me passionately want to buy it? If yes, buy it! If no...
    2. Can I live with my current bike a while? If yes, go ride! And take a load off your mind knowing that you can save some money over the next 6-12 months while you shred trails, enjoy yourself, and laugh at your buddies who are pining away for the 'next great thing'. If no...
    3. Do I trust Yeti to build something completely badass in the next 6-12 months? If yes, figure out a way to live with your current bike. If no, roll the dice with another brand - there are tons of great bikes out there (and rest assured we'll work our butts off to have something cool for you next time around).

Cheers guys,

JP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast