mtbr member
    May 2004

Yeti Big Top 2012 SS

About 60 miles on the beast. Fox F29 FIT RLC 100mm fork, Sun Ringle Wheelset, Stylo Cranks (32T), SLX Brakes, Racing Ralph's, RaceFace SixC Carbon bar, Surley 22 cog, and Joplin post. About 24.5lbs. Climbs like a goat, and descends like dream-actually feels like a large DJ bike w/ the post down. Pumps, jumps, and eats up technical terrain. Started with the stem pretty high, and have lowered it and ready to cut off the excess steerer tube. Great bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti Big Top 2012 SS-dscf1922.jpg  

Yeti Big Top 2012 SS-dscf1919.jpg  

Yeti Big Top 2012 SS-dscf1920.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    NICE ....Do You like the black? I think need a little bit of color

mtbr member
    Looks great! We are building another one up for a customer, really fantastic bikes.
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

Mr. Knowitall
    Beautiful bike:-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Love it, been kicking around a similar idea.

mtbr member
    Wish Yeti had White/Turq/Black livery available for the BigTop this year..

mtbr member
    looks great but I still like the color combo of the '11

On your left.
    Jan 2004

leading candidate

I've been reading about lots of 29er hardtails and right now this is top of the list for me. My biggest concern is the weight. Is the 2012 lighter than 2011?

I've seen 4.4lb (1995g) reported for the frame - that is high, when (maybe not fairly) compared to all carbon frames, like the Highball at maybe 2.5lb (1140g). Maybe the numbers aren't exact, but clearly the Yeti gives away >>1 lb. OK, it's $800 cheaper - and that allows lighter components.

I'm planning a very light build with Reynolds carbon wheels and XT (3x10) / XTR drivetrain and brakes.
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the post Wilbur. I'm currently eyeing one up myself for use as a trail/xc/endurance race bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just picked up my Big Top last week. Great bike! I went with Yeti's standard XT build (3x10), large frame, and tubeless setup for tires. I threw on my old reliable Shimano 747 pedals. It tips the scales right at 26 lbs. with the SPD pedals installed.

I can't wait for the trails to dry out!

Bikes are good

X-9 vs XT?

I'm looking at picking one of these up in XL. What's the difference going to be between the XT set up, and the Sram X-9 set up? Weight? Durability? Sexiness? I'd worry about the crankset lasting I suppose, but I can buy a new one if I break that one . I ride a 5 spot for everything currently, and love that bike. Seems like this would be a bit faster, more efficient for longer days, and add some spice to my life. Or, am I just wanting a new damn bike because new bikes are f'n rad.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."