mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Yeti ASR5 suspension bearings

I need some advice! I bought a Yeti alloy ASR5 back in 2011, and I have ridden it extensively. I think that it's time to replace all the bearings around seatstay, shock, etc.

I am saying this because on my other bike (Cannondale Rize) I haven't serviced the bearings for 4 years, and I ended up with completely toasted frame parts! Frankly I didn't even know that suspensions have ball bearings - ignorance can become very expensive!

In any case, I would value your advice on this matter. Where can I find a kit with all the bearings, pivots, and other small parts subject to wear-and-tear that one should reasonably service on the Yeti ASR5? Your opinions would be very welcome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeti store (on Yeti website) has everything you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Patience needed

You are going to need to figure out how to press out the original bearings and then press in the new ones. I managed to rig up a bolt and washer press, but it took several frustrating hours to get the work done. I like to do all my own maintenance on my bikes, but this was a real pain without a proper bearing press. I managed to chip off a lot of paint on the lower swing arm. I'd suggest you have your LBS do the work if you get stuck and are worried about damaging things. You'll need to also buy the pencil shaped tool from Yeti that will knock out the pivot axels and bolts.

But once you've done the work, the bike will feel like new! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thank you Philip, this is great advice which will help me avoid sweat and tears! I am like you: I like to do everything myself on my bike - but you are probably much more skilled than me...

May I take advantage of your helpfulness and ask you one more favor? Can you post a picture of the "bearing press" that you advise to use? many thanks, Adriano

mtbr member
    I do all my own work as well, and found this small bearing press/pull to be just what I needed for frames.

Cheap too! ($15)

Bushing/Bearing Set
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    bpnic, that's an interesting tool. I hadn't found anything that cheap when I did my bearing press search. I'll definitely look into buying it, and just need to verify that it covers all the bearing sizes on my ASR-5. Thanks for posting.

adriano, you should definitely check out bpnic's link. This is a far more professional tool than what I rigged up. I used a long bolt and nut and a load of washers and short 1" pipe lengths I bought at the hardware store. The pipe internal diameters were just larger than the bearing and allowed the old bearing to be pushed out into it while braced against the component the bearing is in. The washers were the exact size of the bearings and pressed the old bearing out and the new bearings in. The pressing in part sort of like this: How to make a homemade bearing press - General BMX Talk - BMX Forums / Message Boards - Vital BMX
    I also ended up using the old bearings to press in the new when I couldn't find a washer exactly the right size. Set aside plenty of time so there is no stress to rush the work. I used WD40 overnight to loosen things up a little too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am debating with myself whether I should buy this guy. At 70, it's actually affordable - and could be useful for other things besides pressing bearings in or out. What's your take?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Na, wenn Sie doch Platz haben!

That's a pretty big piece of equipment, something the German in me would love to have in my dream Werkstatt. You could then rent use time out on it to all your friends and neighbours. I guess you'd still need to get the relevant disks to sit against the bearings. You'll also be able to do your wheel bearings which I discovered are also a pain in the neck - I looked fondly back on the days of cup and cone hubs as I hammered away at my DT hubs trying to get the bearing out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    40 x 32 x 75 cm. I think I could find room for that..