FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeti ASR Carbon

Rider and Wrench

Yeti ASR Carbon

Not much talk about such a great bike-

Bla, Bla Bla....I have long been a fan on Yeti, had an Arc 26" hard tail a while back (Durango era) and enjoyed it for quite a bit but drank a bit too much of the 29" cool aid and have been riding them for the past 6-7 years in one format or another, in the eastern mid Atlantic they work well so why not? Swore off full suspension for a bit and have been on either rigid or Hard tails for the past few years (miss my Pivot 429 alloy) but hurt my back and started looking for something that fit my ride style... At first I wanted to go back to what I knew the Pivot 429 but after a sour deal on a used alloy frame I went back to the drawing board-

I have owned a bunch of squish bikes from Santa Cruz (VPP and single piv, Turner and Pivot along with long term test rides of quite a few other brands and generally like the climbing Characteristics of multi link bikes... But my buddy ended up passing on his Pivot dealership and brought in Yeti I tried another brand full squish XC oriented bike he had and it was quite nice and was very close to pulling the trigger, enter the ASRc available Demo took a 20 mile ride with a buddy and was pleasantly surprised with this red headed step child of SB's that Yeti has been pumping out (considered the SB95 but it is just more bike than I need no matter how much I tried to justify it).

I was sceptical with all the more complex rigs out there today but something felt right about this thing- so I Ordered a Carbon ASR earlier this week, but took another ride on the demo and was extatic- the bike was like a bow shot, woke me up, so much fun- I live where I live, ride less than I want (think Al Bundy) but non the less love to ride and like a bike that can help me push the downs while enduring the ups . For 120/ front and 100/rear this thing is an absolute riot going down, Way too much fun- can't wait for it to show u at the shop!!!

Who had one, what tweaks did you do?
    Last edited by knottshore; 06-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got one about 5 months ago. Full on Sram build. Also had Pivots (429c) and turners (czar) in the recent past and enjoyed them a lot, but the ASRc is a bit of magic. Don’t miss the DW link nearly as much as I thought I would.

Rider and Wrench
    That is good info- I was definitely wondering if I would be giving something up without the DW, one of the best xc/trail designs I have ridden- I have not put any real time on either the the Czar or 429c but they were two bike on the top of my fantasy list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got to love a discussion between knottshore and prollynot. Is there a mebbyso in the house to add some indecision?

Rider and Wrench
    You just can't make this stuff up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been riding one for about a month and a half now and love it. XTR and XX1 build. I also ride the east coast and I find it a perfect fit for the area. I'm a cross country rider so weight was important. I came from a Yeti Big Top which I loved but wanted something a little more forgiving for my back since I'm 54 yrs old and the back ain't what it used to be. First ride I was in love. Still felt quick and snappy, climbs very similar to the Big Top. I'm a real fan of the geometry of Yetis. You don't see too many Yetis out this way. Love being part of the tribe.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    That is good info- I was definitely wondering if I would be giving something up without the DW ...
    I have 500 miles on my ASRc.

I was bound and determined to get a complex linkage bike. I was on a Giant Anthem with Maestro linkage in 2013 and loved how the thing climbed. I had a total chubby for the 429c, but my shop isn't a dealer. They were trying to arrange a test ride anyway, but while I was waiting I demo'd a couple bikes they have.

I worked for this shop (Absolute Bikes in Salida, CO) for nearly a decade, and they've been a Yeti dealer that whole time. Through the years I test rode Yetis so I could know more about them as a salesman, and frankly they were never my cup of tea. I'm more of an XC geometry guy. The Yetis always felt too slack for my tastes, and the suspension too linear and therefore reliant on platform.

I've been on 29 exclusively since 2004, and Yeti held out on producing any bigwheels for a lo-o-o-ng time. When they finally produced one it was the big top, which has a fuggin' clown on the top tube, because at the time Yeti thought 29 was exclusively for the circus. Which turned me off. Why ride a bike the mfger is making fun of?

As I demo'd bikes, I rode a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 which I found pretty impressive. Full floater is just a modified single pivot with a gimick, but damned if it didn't climb pretty well. My test was to climb with the shock wide open. With the Giant it made no difference what setting the shock was at except harshness when locked out. The Fuel was pretty much good enough to make a list of maybes, good climbing with the shock open, really fun descending.

Went back to the shop and they had just built up an ASRc for demo. It was right there, I had my kit on, WTF. I expected to not like it.

Took it on the same test ride as the Fuel, shock wide open. Wow. As a modified single pivot, how does it do that? How does it climb with the shock open like a Maestro bike? And then descending, it was tuned just for me. Slack enough to go fast through the rubble, tight enough to corner in the twisties like an XC bike. Took it back and bought the new one they had on the sales floor.

Mine was built with the Race kit which I think is a great value. I put a command post on it, but just ordered a carbon post. I'm not a dropper guy. It's nice on a really chunk descent to have the seat down, but frankly I forget to drop it at least half of the time. And I've never gotten to the bottom of a descent and said to myself, "gosh, that was no fun. Must be because I didn't drop my saddle."

And I've just ordered a new front derailleur so I can put my triple on it. I think doubles are stupid. The trail gears you want are split between the two rings. And I like a 22 for climbing. And the places I ride with a fair amount of pavement have me often spinning out a 38:11. I think 1x setups are a better idea, mainly because the ring is the right size for trail riding. With a 30-34 ring you can shift all across the block for your trail-riding gears. The fact that the 1x eliminates a derailleur and shifter does nothing for me. I like derailleurs. Doubles don't have a 30-34 available unless you give up either a LOT of low gears or a LOT of high gears. Without a 30-34, they suck for trail riding. IMO.

I know, sacrilege.

Also a set of Roval wheels. And a Renthal Fattie handlebar. And tires better suited to Colorado singletrack.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Rider and Wrench
    My ASRc was delivered to the shop today... Been riding the blue demo and became attached... But the black is Purdy!

mtbr member
    Anybody riding this with a 140 fork?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...Sold...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Anybody riding this with a 140 fork?
    Wouldn't even consider it. I actually have a 140 Pike sitting idle right now, but the bike's handling with a 120 is spot-on. Even though I love the Pike, the ASRc isn't the bike for it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Currently in the process of building one up.
    Just a pile of parts in my living room at the moment.

Will be going XT M8000 1 x 11, with Pike up front. In fact I will be running at 140 for a little while (purely to see how it feels) then I will have it reduced to either 130 or 120.

Not sure what to expect with the 140 up front though, I don't want it to be unbalanced, obviously only having 100 out back..

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JT145 View Post
    Currently in the process of building one up.
    Just a pile of parts in my living room at the moment.

Will be going XT M8000 1 x 11, with Pike up front. In fact I will be running at 140 for a little while (purely to see how it feels) then I will have it reduced to either 130 or 120.

Not sure what to expect with the 140 up front though, I don't want it to be unbalanced, obviously only having 100 out back..

The stiffness of the pike is intriguing, I can't imagine the fork travel at 140 for anything I ride and I would think it would make any slower speed navigation a chore- but I am curios to hear your thoughts once you have it together- it might be fun on the right trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The stiffness and damper is the reason I've gone Pike. I'm not sure if the 140 will feel too sluggish on what is essentially still a race bike, and will be used as one. I bought the 140 as 120 was hard to track down, so I'll be taking advantage of having it, for a while at least. Worst case, it feels wrong, it'll be reduced, simple.
    I'll be chasing balance in the long run, so I'll see where it ends up.

I'll be setting up with Reverb as well, plus 30mm wide rims w/ Ardent + Ikon rubber, so it is very much going to double as the all day trail bike.

mtbr member
    Well did you get some good rides on it JT145? Thinking of doing the same thing.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...Sold...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bike unfortunately isn't even built as yet.. Just a pile a good looking bits in my living room.
    I've now decided to go XTR, so I don't need to wait for M8000 to arrive. Hopefully should be built up within the next couple of weeks..

Will definitely chime back in with some feedback.

No headset in the frame yet, HA could be exaggerated.

Yeti ASR Carbon-imag1034.jpg

Rider and Wrench
    does anyone know if the XTR 9000 cranks will sit on the ASR carbon frame? I've been holding out to get the 9020's so I don't run into a clearance issue but curious if anyone might have already given it a try? I didn't have any luckfinding out which the xtr build comes with
    Last edited by knottshore; 06-19-2015 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Do you know the Q Factor on the 9000's?
    My guess is they'll fit, as I'm pretty sure the XX1 cranks with narrow Q Factor have no issues with clearance..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Getting ready to have this bike delivered. I currently have an older 2014 Fox float...but I'm already looking to upgrade next year probably when 2017s come out to an outgoing 2016 model Fox 32 120 or 34 120.

Would you keep with the light weight 32 or go beefier with the 34? Is the weight penalty worth it?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JT145 View Post
    Do you know the Q Factor on the 9000's?
    My guess is they'll fit, as I'm pretty sure the XX1 cranks with narrow Q Factor have no issues with clearance..
    Went with the 9020's... I believe that is what comes stock on the ASRc

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good choice-the narrower cranks will fit but the 168 will keep your heels from hitting the chain stays a bit better.

Rider and Wrench
    I have been getting my ASRc dialed in and took a ride today with a buddy who has a Pivot 429c - we are similar size and weight (we call it corgi class under 5'-10" over 200....) he went with a small 429 and has always been tentative about the fit, in any case we were both curious as to how they would feel back to back and were able to log a few miles in each to get an idea of the differerences (the size and set up muttles things a bit so it is not a perfect apples to apples comparison but here are our thoughts-

2014 S 429c 1x10 XO grip shift, XT trail brakes, Sid 120mm, mavic cross max Ralph front Nobby Nic rear, 90-100mm stem with envy RSR bars 710mm

2015 M ASRc 1x11 XTR, XTR trail brakes, revelation 120mm, DT240/Arch ex, Ralph front, Nobby Nic rear 70mm stem & Easton Haven bars 740mm

Looks wise the ASRc is very svelte, the loop stays and curvy overall look is clean and simpe- The ASRc is able to handle a mellow ride but there is no question that prefers to go fast rather than sit and spin, sweeping and leaning through turns vs staying upright and turning. The 2016 fox shock is definitely different that the CTD it replaced, more noticeable differences in each lever position IMO and I was surprised at how well it pedaled in the open setting yet remained plush and ate up chatter, this was useful on the wet rocks and roots we encountered today- slow speed traction was surprising- not your fathers single pivot. Overall the ASRc feels pretty XC until you point it down hill and then the playfulness of the not so xc geo becomes apparent.

Looks wise the 429c has a burley and almost industrial look- like a High quality specialty tool. The 429c is a bit more neutral in the handling department, the slightly steeper head angle made it feel a bit more happy to turn or lean (the size and setup my have played a large part in this it felt like a much shorter wheelbase and in a more upright position). DW has a very solid pedal platform but we were surprised that on standing climbs and out of the saddle efforts We both had a hard time picking a winner or finding much fault in either bike (we played a bit with shock settings but left both in the trail position for the most part). On slow seated climbs with roots/rocks the 429c was in its element and needed less rider input to maintain traction. The 429 had no problem with rolling down hill but did not seem quite as playful.

While both bikes are Carbon w/120mm Front and 100mm of rear suspension they really are two completely different bikes- I could be very happy on either bike but the back to back reinforced my decision to go with the ASRc- for me it is purely a fun factor, the ASRc really comes to life when you point it down hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Knottsure, thanks for that detailed review!

I've been debating between those two bikes for quite some time. But have never had a chance to demo back to back.

Was your buddy happy with the 429c purchase?

Both great bikes...at this price point.

That's not the first time someone used the term 'more playful' when comparing the two bikes. Not sure what that really means...

Rider and Wrench
    Yea, it is tough to put into words- not a tangible trait that shows up on the frames geometry chart... but definitely there. The 429 is a well behaved rule following machine, the ASRc likes to color outside the lines sometimes- you can't really go wrong with either one, we are lucky to have so many well executed full suspension bikes to choose from-
    From the brief comparison I did today comparing these apples and oranges... Both can handle duty as an xc/trail bike the 429 feeling slightly more balanced while the ASRc felt like it wanted to be pushed a little bit harder-

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I was leaning heavily towards the Pivot Mach 429SL mainly based on the DW link. So, I'm glad to hear there was not a noticeable difference between the two and save 1-2lbs in the process.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    I was leaning heavily towards the Pivot Mach 429SL mainly based on the DW link. So, I'm glad to hear there was not a noticeable difference between the two and save 1-2lbs in the process.
    I can't fault DW, I think it is one of if not the best performing multilink suspensions available, after riding my 2010 Pivot 429 I never thought I could go back to anything else- at the time not much else compared.

5 years later most of the xc full suspension bikes on the market are pretty darn good- few if any are truly bad- IMO it it just a matter of finding the one that fits your terrain and ride style the best.

I personally like to hop from my single speed onto my full suspension and be able to push a big gear to crest a hill but also expect it to offer more traction, comfort and downhill prowess at the same time without having to flip levers every 2 seconds. While you don't need to flip the lever on the shock of the ASRc you can definitely gleen some additional performance if you choose to do so.

The simplicity and weight are nice additions to the package but don't discount the suspension performance.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast