Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeti ASR Carbon

Rider and Wrench

Yeti ASR Carbon

Not much talk about such a great bike-

Bla, Bla Bla....I have long been a fan on Yeti, had an Arc 26" hard tail a while back (Durango era) and enjoyed it for quite a bit but drank a bit too much of the 29" cool aid and have been riding them for the past 6-7 years in one format or another, in the eastern mid Atlantic they work well so why not? Swore off full suspension for a bit and have been on either rigid or Hard tails for the past few years (miss my Pivot 429 alloy) but hurt my back and started looking for something that fit my ride style... At first I wanted to go back to what I knew the Pivot 429 but after a sour deal on a used alloy frame I went back to the drawing board-

I have owned a bunch of squish bikes from Santa Cruz (VPP and single piv, Turner and Pivot along with long term test rides of quite a few other brands and generally like the climbing Characteristics of multi link bikes... But my buddy ended up passing on his Pivot dealership and brought in Yeti I tried another brand full squish XC oriented bike he had and it was quite nice and was very close to pulling the trigger, enter the ASRc available Demo took a 20 mile ride with a buddy and was pleasantly surprised with this red headed step child of SB's that Yeti has been pumping out (considered the SB95 but it is just more bike than I need no matter how much I tried to justify it).

I was sceptical with all the more complex rigs out there today but something felt right about this thing- so I Ordered a Carbon ASR earlier this week, but took another ride on the demo and was extatic- the bike was like a bow shot, woke me up, so much fun- I live where I live, ride less than I want (think Al Bundy) but non the less love to ride and like a bike that can help me push the downs while enduring the ups . For 120/ front and 100/rear this thing is an absolute riot going down, Way too much fun- can't wait for it to show u at the shop!!!

Who had one, what tweaks did you do?
    Last edited by knottshore; 06-15-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got one about 5 months ago. Full on Sram build. Also had Pivots (429c) and turners (czar) in the recent past and enjoyed them a lot, but the ASRc is a bit of magic. Don’t miss the DW link nearly as much as I thought I would.

Rider and Wrench
    That is good info- I was definitely wondering if I would be giving something up without the DW, one of the best xc/trail designs I have ridden- I have not put any real time on either the the Czar or 429c but they were two bike on the top of my fantasy list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got to love a discussion between knottshore and prollynot. Is there a mebbyso in the house to add some indecision?

Rider and Wrench
    You just can't make this stuff up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been riding one for about a month and a half now and love it. XTR and XX1 build. I also ride the east coast and I find it a perfect fit for the area. I'm a cross country rider so weight was important. I came from a Yeti Big Top which I loved but wanted something a little more forgiving for my back since I'm 54 yrs old and the back ain't what it used to be. First ride I was in love. Still felt quick and snappy, climbs very similar to the Big Top. I'm a real fan of the geometry of Yetis. You don't see too many Yetis out this way. Love being part of the tribe.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    That is good info- I was definitely wondering if I would be giving something up without the DW ...
    I have 500 miles on my ASRc.

I was bound and determined to get a complex linkage bike. I was on a Giant Anthem with Maestro linkage in 2013 and loved how the thing climbed. I had a total chubby for the 429c, but my shop isn't a dealer. They were trying to arrange a test ride anyway, but while I was waiting I demo'd a couple bikes they have.

I worked for this shop (Absolute Bikes in Salida, CO) for nearly a decade, and they've been a Yeti dealer that whole time. Through the years I test rode Yetis so I could know more about them as a salesman, and frankly they were never my cup of tea. I'm more of an XC geometry guy. The Yetis always felt too slack for my tastes, and the suspension too linear and therefore reliant on platform.

I've been on 29 exclusively since 2004, and Yeti held out on producing any bigwheels for a lo-o-o-ng time. When they finally produced one it was the big top, which has a fuggin' clown on the top tube, because at the time Yeti thought 29 was exclusively for the circus. Which turned me off. Why ride a bike the mfger is making fun of?

As I demo'd bikes, I rode a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 which I found pretty impressive. Full floater is just a modified single pivot with a gimick, but damned if it didn't climb pretty well. My test was to climb with the shock wide open. With the Giant it made no difference what setting the shock was at except harshness when locked out. The Fuel was pretty much good enough to make a list of maybes, good climbing with the shock open, really fun descending.

Went back to the shop and they had just built up an ASRc for demo. It was right there, I had my kit on, WTF. I expected to not like it.

Took it on the same test ride as the Fuel, shock wide open. Wow. As a modified single pivot, how does it do that? How does it climb with the shock open like a Maestro bike? And then descending, it was tuned just for me. Slack enough to go fast through the rubble, tight enough to corner in the twisties like an XC bike. Took it back and bought the new one they had on the sales floor.

Mine was built with the Race kit which I think is a great value. I put a command post on it, but just ordered a carbon post. I'm not a dropper guy. It's nice on a really chunk descent to have the seat down, but frankly I forget to drop it at least half of the time. And I've never gotten to the bottom of a descent and said to myself, "gosh, that was no fun. Must be because I didn't drop my saddle."

And I've just ordered a new front derailleur so I can put my triple on it. I think doubles are stupid. The trail gears you want are split between the two rings. And I like a 22 for climbing. And the places I ride with a fair amount of pavement have me often spinning out a 38:11. I think 1x setups are a better idea, mainly because the ring is the right size for trail riding. With a 30-34 ring you can shift all across the block for your trail-riding gears. The fact that the 1x eliminates a derailleur and shifter does nothing for me. I like derailleurs. Doubles don't have a 30-34 available unless you give up either a LOT of low gears or a LOT of high gears. Without a 30-34, they suck for trail riding. IMO.

I know, sacrilege.

Also a set of Roval wheels. And a Renthal Fattie handlebar. And tires better suited to Colorado singletrack.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Rider and Wrench
    My ASRc was delivered to the shop today... Been riding the blue demo and became attached... But the black is Purdy!

mtbr member
    Anybody riding this with a 140 fork?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Anybody riding this with a 140 fork?
    Wouldn't even consider it. I actually have a 140 Pike sitting idle right now, but the bike's handling with a 120 is spot-on. Even though I love the Pike, the ASRc isn't the bike for it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Currently in the process of building one up.
    Just a pile of parts in my living room at the moment.

Will be going XT M8000 1 x 11, with Pike up front. In fact I will be running at 140 for a little while (purely to see how it feels) then I will have it reduced to either 130 or 120.

Not sure what to expect with the 140 up front though, I don't want it to be unbalanced, obviously only having 100 out back..

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JT145 View Post
    Currently in the process of building one up.
    Just a pile of parts in my living room at the moment.

Will be going XT M8000 1 x 11, with Pike up front. In fact I will be running at 140 for a little while (purely to see how it feels) then I will have it reduced to either 130 or 120.

Not sure what to expect with the 140 up front though, I don't want it to be unbalanced, obviously only having 100 out back..

The stiffness of the pike is intriguing, I can't imagine the fork travel at 140 for anything I ride and I would think it would make any slower speed navigation a chore- but I am curios to hear your thoughts once you have it together- it might be fun on the right trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The stiffness and damper is the reason I've gone Pike. I'm not sure if the 140 will feel too sluggish on what is essentially still a race bike, and will be used as one. I bought the 140 as 120 was hard to track down, so I'll be taking advantage of having it, for a while at least. Worst case, it feels wrong, it'll be reduced, simple.
    I'll be chasing balance in the long run, so I'll see where it ends up.

I'll be setting up with Reverb as well, plus 30mm wide rims w/ Ardent + Ikon rubber, so it is very much going to double as the all day trail bike.

mtbr member
    Well did you get some good rides on it JT145? Thinking of doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bike unfortunately isn't even built as yet.. Just a pile a good looking bits in my living room.
    I've now decided to go XTR, so I don't need to wait for M8000 to arrive. Hopefully should be built up within the next couple of weeks..

Will definitely chime back in with some feedback.

No headset in the frame yet, HA could be exaggerated.

Yeti ASR Carbon-imag1034.jpg

Rider and Wrench
    does anyone know if the XTR 9000 cranks will sit on the ASR carbon frame? I've been holding out to get the 9020's so I don't run into a clearance issue but curious if anyone might have already given it a try? I didn't have any luckfinding out which the xtr build comes with
    Last edited by knottshore; 06-19-2015 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Do you know the Q Factor on the 9000's?
    My guess is they'll fit, as I'm pretty sure the XX1 cranks with narrow Q Factor have no issues with clearance..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Getting ready to have this bike delivered. I currently have an older 2014 Fox float...but I'm already looking to upgrade next year probably when 2017s come out to an outgoing 2016 model Fox 32 120 or 34 120.

Would you keep with the light weight 32 or go beefier with the 34? Is the weight penalty worth it?

Rider and Wrench
    Do you know the Q Factor on the 9000's?
    My guess is they'll fit, as I'm pretty sure the XX1 cranks with narrow Q Factor have no issues with clearance..
    Went with the 9020's... I believe that is what comes stock on the ASRc

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good choice-the narrower cranks will fit but the 168 will keep your heels from hitting the chain stays a bit better.

Rider and Wrench
    I have been getting my ASRc dialed in and took a ride today with a buddy who has a Pivot 429c - we are similar size and weight (we call it corgi class under 5'-10" over 200....) he went with a small 429 and has always been tentative about the fit, in any case we were both curious as to how they would feel back to back and were able to log a few miles in each to get an idea of the differerences (the size and set up muttles things a bit so it is not a perfect apples to apples comparison but here are our thoughts-

2014 S 429c 1x10 XO grip shift, XT trail brakes, Sid 120mm, mavic cross max Ralph front Nobby Nic rear, 90-100mm stem with envy RSR bars 710mm

2015 M ASRc 1x11 XTR, XTR trail brakes, revelation 120mm, DT240/Arch ex, Ralph front, Nobby Nic rear 70mm stem & Easton Haven bars 740mm

Looks wise the ASRc is very svelte, the loop stays and curvy overall look is clean and simpe- The ASRc is able to handle a mellow ride but there is no question that prefers to go fast rather than sit and spin, sweeping and leaning through turns vs staying upright and turning. The 2016 fox shock is definitely different that the CTD it replaced, more noticeable differences in each lever position IMO and I was surprised at how well it pedaled in the open setting yet remained plush and ate up chatter, this was useful on the wet rocks and roots we encountered today- slow speed traction was surprising- not your fathers single pivot. Overall the ASRc feels pretty XC until you point it down hill and then the playfulness of the not so xc geo becomes apparent.

Looks wise the 429c has a burley and almost industrial look- like a High quality specialty tool. The 429c is a bit more neutral in the handling department, the slightly steeper head angle made it feel a bit more happy to turn or lean (the size and setup my have played a large part in this it felt like a much shorter wheelbase and in a more upright position). DW has a very solid pedal platform but we were surprised that on standing climbs and out of the saddle efforts We both had a hard time picking a winner or finding much fault in either bike (we played a bit with shock settings but left both in the trail position for the most part). On slow seated climbs with roots/rocks the 429c was in its element and needed less rider input to maintain traction. The 429 had no problem with rolling down hill but did not seem quite as playful.

While both bikes are Carbon w/120mm Front and 100mm of rear suspension they really are two completely different bikes- I could be very happy on either bike but the back to back reinforced my decision to go with the ASRc- for me it is purely a fun factor, the ASRc really comes to life when you point it down hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Knottsure, thanks for that detailed review!

I've been debating between those two bikes for quite some time. But have never had a chance to demo back to back.

Was your buddy happy with the 429c purchase?

Both great bikes...at this price point.

That's not the first time someone used the term 'more playful' when comparing the two bikes. Not sure what that really means...

Rider and Wrench
    Yea, it is tough to put into words- not a tangible trait that shows up on the frames geometry chart... but definitely there. The 429 is a well behaved rule following machine, the ASRc likes to color outside the lines sometimes- you can't really go wrong with either one, we are lucky to have so many well executed full suspension bikes to choose from-
    From the brief comparison I did today comparing these apples and oranges... Both can handle duty as an xc/trail bike the 429 feeling slightly more balanced while the ASRc felt like it wanted to be pushed a little bit harder-

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I was leaning heavily towards the Pivot Mach 429SL mainly based on the DW link. So, I'm glad to hear there was not a noticeable difference between the two and save 1-2lbs in the process.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    I was leaning heavily towards the Pivot Mach 429SL mainly based on the DW link. So, I'm glad to hear there was not a noticeable difference between the two and save 1-2lbs in the process.
    I can't fault DW, I think it is one of if not the best performing multilink suspensions available, after riding my 2010 Pivot 429 I never thought I could go back to anything else- at the time not much else compared.

5 years later most of the xc full suspension bikes on the market are pretty darn good- few if any are truly bad- IMO it it just a matter of finding the one that fits your terrain and ride style the best.

I personally like to hop from my single speed onto my full suspension and be able to push a big gear to crest a hill but also expect it to offer more traction, comfort and downhill prowess at the same time without having to flip levers every 2 seconds. While you don't need to flip the lever on the shock of the ASRc you can definitely gleen some additional performance if you choose to do so.

The simplicity and weight are nice additions to the package but don't discount the suspension performance.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi guys!

Turner Czar, Yeti ASR, Ibis Ripley or Pivot 429sl?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by voodood-jab View Post
    Hi guys!

Turner Czar, Yeti ASR, Ibis Ripley or Pivot 429sl?

Thanks!

I'm probably not the best person to advise at this point, but check out some previous comments in this thread, comparing the Yeti and Pivot back to back..

Also if you're considering the Ibis, I'd hold out.. there's a new model due very soon!

I guess it all depends what you want to do with it and what you want out of it.
    I believe that Yeti, Turner & Pivot are a little more XC orientated than the Ibis.. Not that that's a better or worse thing. Horses for Courses I guess.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    need mohr ASR-C pics!
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    need mohr ASR-C pics!
    Will post up pics soon! Mine should be built within the next fortnight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeti ASR Carbon-img_0150.jpgYeti ASR Carbon-img_0145.jpgLet me see if I can get this to happen.....

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by prollynot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	998078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	2030 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	998079Let me see if I can get this to happen.....
    Very nice- how do you like the RS up front-

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Those photos are making me 2nd guess my color choice...black is very nice!

My frame should be delivered tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Nice, how much does it weigh as it sits there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys.knottshore-I’m in central Texas and the RS 1 @120 works just great here. Also very fond of the monarch for the back end. JT- under 23, with pedals and a generous dose of snot in the tires. Lots of pointy stuff around here.

Rider and Wrench
    Definitely enjoying the ASRc- still dialing some minor things in - 24 pds 12 oz real world weight with a revelation, bell, bottle cage and snakeskin tires-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti ASR Carbon-img_20150625_080632357.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-img_20150625_080647080.jpg  

Last edited by knottshore; 06-26-2015 at 03:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Very nice!
    Is it a full XX1 build?

I'm expecting something in the vicinity of 11kg (24.2lb) or a little under..
    That'll be with Pike, Reverb, Ardent & Ikon tyres, carbon wheels w/ DT350 hubs & XTR group.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Definitely enjoying the ASRc- still dialinb some minor things in -
    Thx. I needed that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We're here to help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I agree we need more pics & rundowns on builds here.
    Not the easiest bikes to find info / check out build threads on.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Very nice!
    Is it a full XX1 build?

That'll be with Pike, Reverb, Ardent & Ikon tyres, carbon wheels w/ DT350 hubs & XTR group.
    I'm thinking a similar build with XO1. Expecting to set Pike at 130. Eventually Next SL cranks and carbon wheels. I already have a set of Crests so might switch the stock ones for some Flow EX. More for cheap width and everyday durability since my home trails are the Lunch Loops. Carbons will be light racy wheels for everywhere else.
    Very nice!
    Is it a full XX1 build?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Nice!

I'll be sure to add a little more once I get building / have it built.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Definitely enjoying the ASRc- still dialinb some minor things in -
    What bottle cage are you running? Do you have issues with getting the bottle in / out?
    The cage I currently have on mine seems too restricting. Very hard to get in / out, fouls on the CTD lever on the shock with larger bottles.
    Have thought about a side load cage, but not a great deal to choose from.

Team Velveeta™
    What bottle cage are you running? Do you have issues with getting the bottle in / out?
    The cage I currently have on mine seems too restricting. Very hard to get in / out, fouls on the CTD lever on the shock with larger bottles.
    I like Specialized z-cages. I got one for my first full-suspension bike that had a super tight front triangle. Once I got used to pulling and replacing a bottle from the side I wound up getting z-cages for all my bikes. Normal cages bug me now because I often try to yank bottles out the side.

I will say that I've broken a couple of them after hard use for a season or more.

But take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm the kind of guy that will take a double crankset and replace it with a triple. Yep, I'm that guy.

Rider and Wrench
    It is a RavX side one carbon cage- I only have a handful of rides on it so far so can't speak for its durability it but it seems to hold the bottle tight and release it without interfering with the shock (especially compared to the std issue top loader I rode on the demo I rode for a while) - bonus is it is raw carbon an looks like it is part of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

A bit portly...24.85lbs as it sits. Maybe I should have got black...

Turquoise Size L
    1x11 Shimano XTR drive train
    XT Brakes
    Thomson cockpit / seat post
    Bontrager RXL Wheels / XR3/XR2 Tires
    RaceFace Turbine crank & 32T N/W chainring
    Shimano XTR trail pedals

I'd like to get it under 24lbs...
    2016 Fox 32, Race pedals, carbon wheels would be some places to shave off some significant weight.

Anything else obvious?? cranks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Turquoise looks great, you def made the right choice!
    Cranks, wheels, saddle, pedals are all great spots to shave grams.
    Costly though.. just ride it and love it for now.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Very nice. I want a turquoise one. I like the black too, but I already have a black ARC, and I've always wanted a full turq.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Costly though.. just ride it and love it for now.
    Thank-you!
    Yes, the plan is to ride with what's on there for now....possibly make some updates over winter.

Wheels/fork would be the big ticket items
    Pedals/cranks would be less big ticket

I wonder how much weight savings (if any) the new XT crank arms will have over my RF turbine (non-cinch).

Does anyone know what the stock stem length is for a large frame build? I'm guessing somewhere around 80mm.

I have a 70mm @ 0* in there now, but thinking going to a 90mm @ 0* with shorter handlebars ~730mm (currently at 750mm).

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    None to marginal for the XT cranks. You'd have to go RF Next SL for a meaningful difference.

If you can gain comfort and lose weight by getting a saddle that fits better and has carbon rails, that could be worth it, but if the saddle feels good, maybe not. Chasing grams gets expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti ASR Carbon-img_5744.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-img_6035.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-img_6759.jpg  

Last edited by JimEG; 08-19-2015 at 01:14 PM.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice. What size?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good question. Medium. Just updated post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    ...plus Thomson dropper. I recently moved the dropper lever under the bars with the ReMount ? Lindarets and it really improved the ergonomics and performance of the post. Prior to the remount, I would say the Thomson was good, but not as good as a Reverb. After remount, the Thomson is in the same league as the Reverb. The over the bar lever is awkward and potentially dangerous. Keeping the thumb below the bars is what keeps the hands on the bars. Thomson please take note.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I tried the Thomson dropper post, but had difficulties using it. Relocating the lever would have made things better.

As for wheels/tires: I'm running (or plan on running, just built the bike up last night) Bontrager RXL w/DT hubs and XR3 Team 2.3 up front and XR2 Team 2.2 in the rear.

I would love to try out some ENVE or similar Carbon wheels. Maybe even Stan's carbon XC wheels with Maxxis tires.

mtbr member
    Stock X01 build in XL. 25ish pounds. Switched the stock 'road' tyres to something more suitable for where I ride, Ardent 2.4 front, Ardent 2.25 rear. Tied and soldered the flexy stock wheels to stiffen them up a lot, still get a little tyre rub on the seat stays so I'll get something a little burlier built up this winter.

Have mainly ridden an alumium hardtail Stumpjumper 29er for the last 7 years, love that bike and still have it, just fancied something new. The ASRc is so capable, there's a lot of steep, tight, twisty, techy, difficult climbs around my house and it handles them better than the hardtail, still need to dial it in for the descending, seem to wash out the front wheel a lot but it's fun so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti ASR Carbon-img_2260%5B1%5D.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-img_2261%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    None to marginal for the XT cranks. You'd have to go RF Next SL for a meaningful difference.

If you can gain comfort and lose weight by getting a saddle that fits better and has carbon rails, that could be worth it, but if the saddle feels good, maybe not. Chasing grams gets expensive.
    Even going to SRAM X01 cranks, removing the spider and using a nice & light N/W chainring is a substantial difference on RF or XT, and not too much penalty over Next SL's. At probably less than half the cost.
    I'll be running a Selle Italia SLR saddle w/ Ti rails, not silly expensive, and very light @ 141g.

Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Question - what tire/rim combos are others running? There is not a lot of room back there.
    I've got some 30mm wide carbon rims with a 2.25 Ardent up front and 2.2 Ikon out back. There is probably around 5mm of clearance each side. So there isn't loads of room to go large, but maybe a 2.25 Ardent out back would be the limits on the wider rims.
    But if that works, No reason you couldn't beef up the front with a 2.4 or similar.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Even going to SRAM X01 cranks, removing the spider and using a nice & light N/W chainring is a substantial difference on RF or XT, and not too much penalty over Next SL's. At probably less than half the cost.
    I'll be running a Selle Italia SLR saddle w/ Ti rails, not silly expensive, and very light @ 141g.
    I'm thinking the Next SL is about another 150grams lighter. It seems substantial enough that I'd want to just bite the bullet and get that full weight savings right away. It would be hard to justify once you already had an XO1 for sure. If you're not racing, and you like money, the Turbines are going to have the same performance. It's easy to get caught up in chasing a certain weight number. Some weights for reference: (from sicklines)
    Part Year Real(g) Picture
    Race Face Next SL – Carbon Arms 175mm 2014 377.0 link
    Race Face Next SL – Carbon Arms 175mm with 24/36t chainrings 2014 534.6 link
    Race Face Next SL – Carbon Arms 175mm with 32t DM chainring 2014 446.9 link
    Race Face Next – 34t Direct Mount Chainring 2014 69.9 link
    SRAM X01 Crank Arms 175mm 2014 533.2 link
    Shimano XTR Crank Arms 175mm 2012 526.6 link
    Race Face BSA 30 68/73mm bottom bracket 2014 92.6 link
    Race Face PF30 Bottom Bracket 73mm 2014 106.3 link

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sure would like to see the bike in a medium frame w/ 650b wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It's easy to get caught up in chasing a certain weight number
    Couldn't agree more. I normally don't even care, it is what it is.
    Only because I've built this up from scratch that I'm aware of it. But it's an evil addictive curse.

I honestly don't think I'll care after it's built and I'm riding it though.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I do the same thing, that's why I know. A light bike is pretty sweet though. I had my last ASR, a 26er, under 22lbs. Sick.

mtbr member

New ride

Finally completed this weekend. Still only a ride around the yard to dial in shifting. Need to adjust bar height and fine tune. Can't wait to hit the trail. Coming off of a Blur 27.5ed. Also will have to make a guard for it. Yeti did good but I need a little more protection where I live. Lots of loose rocks (fist sized) that get kicked up often. I have my prototype complete. Making the mold this weekend. Anyway, all came in at 21lbs 5oz.I will shed more weight with the Volt saddle and Schwalbe tires that are coming. Waiting for the rain clouds to move on out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti ASR Carbon-403-rev1.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-404-rev1.jpg  

Yeti ASR Carbon-425-rev1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Wow! 21.5lbs!!

I'm no where near that. I'm starting to wonder how much the turquoise paint adds to the weight.

What size? Can you run down the component list?

mtbr member
    Yeti told me paint was about 0.20lbs more.
    Yeti ASRC Medium
    Fork is a Rockshox WC Carbon crown with brain (custom decals by myself)
    Canecreek headset
    Thomson stem (Ti bolts)
    Specialized S Works bars w/ ESI grips
    XTR brakes w/ Hope rotors
    Extralite thru axles
    Next SL cranks w/ custom outside guard and drilled Raceface 32t NW
    Industry Nine Carbon wheels (Pillar Ultra). I love I-9 wheels!
    XTR pedals
    Thomson seat post with all the top parts removed and replaced with lighter parts.
    Fox Shock (CTD shock using two position lock out). I just move out the adjusting barrel depending upon the trail being raced/ridden). Heavily modified the rebound knob, adjusting rods, etc to reduce the height in order to make room for water bottle. Made about 5mm difference.
    XTR shifter (modified to only downshift once using thumb, hate extra downshifts when hitting a bump)
    XTR shadow plus derailleur
    Sram X011 cassette
    Shimano XTR chain
    Praxis BB
    Arundel bottle cage.
    Drilled cable stops on left side so I can run brake hose inside the frame.
    Volt saddle and Schwalbe tires coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti ASR Carbon-403-rev1.jpg  

Last edited by nyrdrms; 07-02-2015 at 10:21 AM.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was figuring under 22 for mine. What wheels, and is that a remote CTD for the rear shock? Available as an upgrade kit or did you have to buy a new shock?

I would like to see Yeti offer the remote as an option, as I was under the impression you couldn't simply upgrade the shock to remote. Maybe as a racer package of the XO1 model, with lockout and raceface next SL cranks.

Beautiful bike. Love the fork decals. Rev or Pike?

mtbr member
    I was figuring under 22 for mine. What wheels, and is that a remote CTD for the rear shock? Available as an upgrade kit or did you have to buy a new shock?

I would like to see Yeti offer the remote as an option, as I was under the impression you couldn't simply upgrade the shock to remote. Maybe as a racer package of the XO1 model, with lockout and raceface next SL cranks.

Beautiful bike. Love the fork decals. Rev or Pike?

Thanks. Fork decals came out better than I was hoping. The frame isn't really set up for a remote. No place to attach cable to the frame so I took a brake noodle and modified it a bit to keep the cable going in the right direction.
    Not an upgrade. Already had it on my Blur. Fork is WC carbon crown with Brain. 100mm travel. I only got the frame. All other stuff I had or bought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Very nice nyrdrms! I've got some places to look at improving.

Wheels, cranks...I knew.

New thru axles, Ti bolts, SRAM X011 cassette are interesting.

Drilled RF 32t?? You're not messing around.

How's the shifting performance with XTR shifter and SRAM cassette? Spacing the same?

mtbr member
    Very nice nyrdrms! I've got some places to look at improving.

Wheels, cranks...I knew.

New thru axles, Ti bolts, SRAM X011 cassette are interesting.

Drilled RF 32t?? You're not messing around.

How's the shifting performance with XTR shifter and SRAM cassette? Spacing the same?
    So far shifting is great. I haven't had it on the trail though and interested as well with regards to shifting under some load, etc. Around the yard it's great. If I had it to do over, I would get Carbon Ti thru bolts. The Extralite is odd because the allen wrench goes in on the threaded side and you are going CCW to tighten. It is also recessed a bit and gets the wrench close to the frame when tightening.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    Yeti told me paint was about 200grams more.
    Yeti ASRC Medium
    Fork is a Rockshox WC Carbon crown with brain (custom decals by myself)
    Canecreek headset
    Thomson stem (Ti bolts)
    Specialized S Works bars w/ ESI grips
    XTR brakes w/ Hope rotors
    Extralite thru axles
    Next SL cranks w/ custom outside guard and drilled Raceface 32t NW
    Industry Nine Carbon wheels (Pillar Ultra). I love I-9 wheels!
    XTR pedals
    Thomson seat post with all the top parts removed and replaced with lighter parts.
    Fox Shock (CTD shock using two position lock out). I just move out the adjusting barrel depending upon the trail being raced/ridden). Heavily modified the rebound knob, adjusting rods, etc to reduce the height in order to make room for water bottle. Made about 5mm difference.
    XTR shifter (modified to only downshift once using thumb, hate extra downshifts when hitting a bump)
    XTR shadow plus derailleur
    Sram X011 cassette
    Shimano XTR chain
    Praxis BB
    Arundel bottle cage.
    Drilled cable stops on left side so I can run brake hose inside the frame.
    Volt saddle and Schwalbe tires coming soon.
    Impressive weight.

Any reason you've opted for a 100mm fork? I presume this is a race machine?
    Also what's the complete weight on the I9 wheelset?

Looking good though mate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Yeti ASR Carbon

...I would get Carbon Ti thru bolts..
    Thanks for the heads up.

$100 for Carbon-Ti to save ~35g on the rear axle.$45 for the Fox Kabolt to save ~40g on front fork.
    Do you need to use thread lock to make sure they don't back out??

I'm struggling/obsessing trying to hit the 24lb mark with the least amount of money. Need to shave about 375g.

Pedals, Saddle, axles, grips will net ~270g savings.
    105g more to go!!
    New carbon cranks or carbon wheels will push me over easily.
    Should have gone black paint...lol!! 200g weight save!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What kind of front triple did you put on your asr? I have a new 3x9 drive train and want to put on this frame.

mtbr member
    Impressive weight.

Any reason you've opted for a 100mm fork? I presume this is a race machine?
    Also what's the complete weight on the I9 wheelset?

Looking good though mate.
    Yes, 100% XC race machine. I-9 wheel set came in at 1395g with tape and valve stems installed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up.

$100 for Carbon-Ti to save ~35g on the rear axle.$45 for the Fox Kabolt to save ~40g on front fork.
    Do you need to use thread lock to make sure they don't back out??

I'm struggling/obsessing trying to hit the 24lb mark with the least amount of money. Need to shave about 375g.

Pedals, Saddle, axles, grips will net ~270g savings.
    105g more to go!!
    New carbon cranks or carbon wheels will push me over easily.
    Should have gone black paint...lol!! 200g weight save!
    I use anti-seize compound on the threads, no thread lock. They will not back out. I do check them now and then to be 100% sure. Never had one come loose. The paint weight really pushed me to get the black.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There's also the new Stealth Maxle option from Rock Shox coming out, 37g, and supposed to be about half the price of the boutique options like Carbon-Ti or Xtralite.
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/maxle-stealth

ESI grips shave a surprising amount of weight compared to lock-ons, and I prefer the grips themselves in terms of comfort and control. The single side lock-ons scare me, only one point of failure, and they could come flying off.

Didn't realize the paint was 200g, thought I had heard it was only 70g and I was wrestling with that even...

mtbr member
    There's also the new Stealth Maxle option from Rock Shox coming out, 37g, and supposed to be about half the price of the boutique options like Carbon-Ti or Xtralite.

ESI grips shave a surprising amount of weight compared to lock-ons, and I prefer the grips themselves in terms of comfort and control. The single side lock-ons scare me, only one point of failure, and they could come flying off.

Didn't realize the paint was 200g, thought I had heard it was only 70g and I was wrestling with that even...
    To clearify my inability to relay correct information. The weight difference for paint was 0.2lb not 200g. That would be around 90g. The reason I even asked was discrepancies with Santa Cruz site on the Tallboy vs what people were weighing themselves. I called Santa Cruz and they first said about 0.2lb for paint vs matte (no paint, just matte clear coat.. I then confirmed with Yeti and was told the same thing. I weighed my frame and got the same figure as Yeti (no rear axle). Maybe the guy was guessing but it was the same as what SC had told me.

My appologies for that goof up. Those with the painted frames, all is good. You can shave 90g easily somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ahh, this makes so much more sense now.. 200g did seem excessive in my head..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Fox has the Kabolt, IIRC 34.5g for under $50. In orange and black color options.

$100 for the Carbon-Ti Shimano rear thru axle is a bit hard to swallow for another 35g save.

Glad to hear about the paint weight. I don't feel so bad now. Who am I kidding, the turquoise was the only option for me!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I can handle 90 grams.

mtbr member
    Nice light builds guys. But I'm going the other way....I want to put a 140 fork, Enve wheels, XO1 kit and a dropper and rip it up out here in Colorado......Let the replies fly!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Nice light builds guys. But I'm going the other way....I want to put a 140 fork, Enve wheels, XO1 kit and a dropper and rip it up out here in Colorado......Let the replies fly!!!
    It all depends where you ride...If I was riding in Colorado, I'd probably be doing the same thing. Living in Michigan, it's all about lightweight XC.

Which Enve wheels? M50 or other?

mtbr member
    Ya probably the M50s... I'm 50+ and don't do anything more then 2-3 ft drops anymore. Hard to recover at my age......

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I hear ya...closing in on 40.
    I'll be saving up for M50 Enve's next year. I wonder if the blue decals from Enve will match the yeti turquoise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anybody out there on a small (27.5" wheel) ASR? I really like this bike, curious what people think. I have been riding 29" wheel bikes for 5 years, curious what the switch to smaller wheel xc bike is like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm guessing, if you're short, a 650b is much more manageable. The 29er in a small just doesn't seem right, purely from a visual perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Even a build like this won't be heavy.. I've got a similar spec coming in the next week or so.. expecting under 11kg.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nox Skylines will be lighter, wider, and cheaper than M50s, and I know you can get the decals in Yeti Turquoise. You order the decals in the accessories portion of the web store rather than on the wheel ordering page. I forget the Pantone # for the color, but you can email for that. They answer the phone if you want to call with any questions too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Large ASRc in my signature is 24.75lbs running Hans Dampf front tire and M60 Enve's. I have gone to a carbon seat post and CF shorter stem but I'm guessing the 20g there is less difference than muddy or clean ;-)
    SB5.5c XL M70HV EagleGold
    BearGrease Bluto XL XTR 2x10/1x
    SB95c L EnveAM Pike140 XTR 3x10
    ASRc L RS-1 120 EnveM60 XTR 1x11

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mark43 View Post
    Anybody out there on a small (27.5" wheel) ASR? I really like this bike, curious what people think. I have been riding 29" wheel bikes for 5 years, curious what the switch to smaller wheel xc bike is like.
    I'm in the same boat. I've been riding a 2011 Orbea Alma 29er small (I'm 5'6") for the past few years and I am in the market for a new race bike and the fact that some of the bikes that appeal to me only come on 27.5 for small frames kind of throws me of a little bit. I did demo a 27.5 2015 Orbea Oiz but it didn't do it for me. I've always wanted a Yeti and since they came out with the new ASRc and ARC I've been drooling all over them but there are no Yeti dealer in the area I live, and the thought of dropping $5k+ on a bike with a different wheel size and without demoing it scares me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Exactly my situation. I am on a 2014 Felt Nine 1, interested if anybody else has switched from a 29er HT/FS bike to a 27.5" Yeti ASR.

mtbr member
    dude...if my bike weighs that like yours i'm golden....how are you digging those M60s?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    ... 20g there is less difference than muddy or clean ;-)
    I'm not sure what mine weighs at this point, but Sunday, muddy Sunday it was a little heavier.

mtbr member
    I am partial to Industry Nine. Super quick engagement, durable, light. I ran some 27.5's for three years, same hubs were ran as 26" for three years prior. They are loud but I like the sound of the 3 degree engagement. I hope the carbon rimmed wheels are just as good. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    dude...if my bike weighs that like yours i'm golden....how are you digging those M60s?
    I have the last gen 29AM Enve's on the SB95 and ran both the M60 and AM's on it at one point before the ASRc arrived. The M60 definitely allows a better profile on the same tire and felt just that much more planted then the AM's. I'm not a lightweight so I wasn't willing to go with a M50 at 28 spoke count for durability concerns, would have saved that much more weight if I was overly worried about it. Great bike though for spirited short XC sprints after work, have to be on my game with it though or it will chuck me quick, lol
    SB5.5c XL M70HV EagleGold
    BearGrease Bluto XL XTR 2x10/1x
    SB95c L EnveAM Pike140 XTR 3x10
    ASRc L RS-1 120 EnveM60 XTR 1x11

mtbr member
    Frame picture needed, size LARGE:Could someone be so kind as to post a picture of the downtube/bottom bracket with the bike upside down (straight on toward the rubber protector).

Formerly of Kent
    Can anyone provide a comparison to a Scott Spark 900?

I've been a HT rider/racer for a long time now, but living and racing where I do (western VA/NC), a FS is starting to look pretty enticing.

Right now I'm riding a carbon HT with a 69 degree HTA; with my race wheels on it, it's 19lbs. Built up with SID Brain, XTR brakes, XX1 drivetrain, Hollowgram w/Stages, Syntace cockpit. I'd like a ~21lb FS.
    Death from Below.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If any FS will build up to ~21lbs, I think it would be this one. They quote the XO1 model at 23.1 lbs. You have almost a full pound to lose just by going with a Next SL and PF30BB, and I think you could get almost another pound just from saddle, stem, and grips.

I don't have a comparison, but the BC Bike Race was just won on this bike, so it seems well suited to technical, rooty riding like I'd expect in W VA/NC.

Would you be switching parts over, or building up another steed for rougher courses?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There is a build on page 3 here in the low 21lb region.
    It's more than doable, but it's not going to be cheap, but hey, if you're buying / building a Yeti, you already know this!

Team Velveeta™
    Frame picture needed, size LARGE:Could someone be so kind as to post a picture of the downtube/bottom bracket with the bike upside down (straight on toward the rubber protector).
    Took several for you this morning, hope this was the view you wanted. If not let me know how it could be better and I'll see if any of the others I took makes it for you.

Had to include the water bottle shot with my cat Butters scooting away under the bike:

Formerly of Kent
    Would you be switching parts over, or building up another steed for rougher courses?
    Sort of. I have a brand new Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc frame and 140mm Pike sitting at my house at the moment, but after throwing wheels, bars, stem and a seat on it, the bike feels too big. I was going to build that up as a "long travel XC" bike, maybe knocking the travel down to 130mm, but it feels way too tall at this point. I'm considering selling those off to finance a Yeti ASR-C or Scott Spark. From there, I have the XX1/XT build kit I had for the TB LTc waiting in the wings.

The tiny 3.5" HT (and internal headset) and super low stack heigh on the Medium ASR-C is what makes me think it will work for me. The reach is almost 3cm longer than my current bike, but I think I'd like that.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Awesome !

I have about 700mi on a more trail oriented ASR as well.

It is 25.9lbs with a 130mm mrp stage fork, minion 2.3 tires, Thomson dropper, 180mm rotors, 4 piston brakes, etc.

Love the bike, up down all around

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    Awesome !

I have about 700mi on a more trail oriented ASR as well.

It is 25.9lbs with a 130mm mrp stage fork, minion 2.3 tires, Thomson dropper, 180mm rotors, 4 piston brakes, etc.

Love the bike, up down all around
    We must see photos!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Took several for you this morning, hope this was the view you wanted. If not let me know how it could be better and I'll see if any of the others I took makes it for you.

Had to include the water bottle shot with my cat Butters scooting away under the bike:

I need pic showing both water bottle mounting holes. For every bike I have owned, I make downtube guards due to the simple fact that a rock punched a hole in my Top Fuel years ago and decided to make a guard for it. I've carried over that mentality for several other frames I have owned or had access to. Now that I have the ASRC, I made a mold for my frame (medium) but want to make sure if would fit a large as well in case it gets traction and sells. For example, Santa Cruz in the past has moved the hole location with regards to the bottom bracket depending upon the frame size. On some models they leave it the same. I made the first sample today from the mold and need to make just a few mods. I ran my brake hose internal so I will be making a guard for my personal use that would protect the cable guides. I'm thinking I will have a couple of options depending upon cable usage. Anyway, if possible a pic without the pump mount would be cool but don't put yourself out about it. Maybe I'll run upon a large somewhere.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast