mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Yeti 575 vs. Intense 5.5 EVP FRO

I'm soliciting your Yeti expertise to determine which is the better bike. I do alot of xc style riding with long rides in the mountains on the weekends. The 5.5 is alot more prevalent here in Canada than the Yeti but I want to get opinions on the "better" machine.

Who is John Galt?
    Wow, that would be an interesting comparison. On paper these bikes would be pretty close, but a better comparison would be the Blur LT vs. Intense 5.5. I can't help you much here although I studied the Intense pretty close when I was looking at Santa Cruz. Singletrack mag had a nice review of this bike, they wrote that it tended to ride kind of high in the travel and wasn't their favorite bike on epic rides. Of course you are going to hear about the maintenence issues of a VPP suspension which gives the Yeti a big advantage. Also you can get into a 575 for $2400 or less with carbon bars and seatpost, race face crank. You'll pay near that for the Intense frame.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Thanx for the feedback. I did alot compasions of the Blur vs the Intense and liked the Intense better. The 575 is very high on my list but the slack headtube angle throws me a bit. Yeti says its 69 degrees or so and Intense (and Blur) come in around 71. How is the Yeti for handling, turning, climbing,...??

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I think I can comment on the head angle, I switched from a Spec Epic to the 575 and have seen no problem on the climbing, but I do notice more stability going down, specially with a longer travel fork like my Pike..... don't sweat the head angle, I personally consider it slacker a little better....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, nowadays I would not even consider a 26" bike with a HA of over 70 degrees unless I was a XC racer. The 575 turns and climbs really well and is very stable feeling on steep downhills. It isn't too long and slow to turn even though it is not as nimble as a pure XC bike. It's a good setup for trail riding.

Ti is addictive
    I don't know which part of Canada you're from...but the shops I've dealt with hate intense. Warrantee issues for us Canucks has been of issue, and on the VPP based bike, you better have good warranttee coverage as most VPP based Intense bikes have had linkage or bearing issues at some point in time.(less so with Santa cruz supposedly)

I know of yeti dealers in BC,and Alberta. All have had nothing but good things in their dealings with that company. Simpler design that works, outstanding service from the company.....I know which one I would go for if I wanted another bike. Plus with the exchange rate being as it is you could by a 575 and ARC all for the price of the 5.5 frameset.

mtbr member
    I'm located in Alberta so the typical ride is 3-4 hours long in Canmore, Banff, Jasper, Jumpingpound,...,you get the idea. These are great points being brought up concerning Intense (SC) VPP problems. What is the "typical" weight of a medium 575?? I'll be swapping all my xt/xtr components over inc. EC90 seatpost so I'm lokking to come in around 26-27 lbs soaking wet. Lastly, do you know of any Yeti dealers in Alberta or BC??

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Keehna666
    I'm located in Alberta so the typical ride is 3-4 hours long in Canmore, Banff, Jasper, Jumpingpound,...,you get the idea. These are great points being brought up concerning Intense (SC) VPP problems. What is the "typical" weight of a medium 575?? I'll be swapping all my xt/xtr components over inc. EC90 seatpost so I'm lokking to come in around 26-27 lbs soaking wet. Lastly, do you know of any Yeti dealers in Alberta or BC??
    Calgary Cycle.........When they were pricing my Titus last spring they came awfully close to what it was going to cost me Mailorder from USA. Yeti is very, very, very protective of shipping to Canada from USA.

You should come in at around sub 27lbs depending if you go carbon and dependion on your wheelset. Good luck

27lbs is a reasonable weight, particularly with the parts yo have... my XT/Pike/5.1d rims/etc puts my medium frame at about 30 lbs, so with the parts you say, 26-27 lbs is doable I think, depending on your wheelset too...

Here's a couple of threads that could give you an idea on light 575s

Is this the lightest Yeti 575???

How LIGHT can a 575 be ?

mtbr member
    Thanx for the feedback concerning weight - it gives a good idea as to where I could potentially end up.

Now for the "stupid" question. What are the biggest differences between the 575 and the ASR-L model besides weight (in terms of climbing, suspension travel,...)??

ASR SL travel = 3.89"
    575 travel = 5.75

Medium ASR = 5.1 lbs
    Medium 575 = 5.75 lbs (carbon stays), 6.2 lbs (alu)

That should give you an idea of what each is intended for...

Basically the ASR-SL is a race machine...

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    ASR SL travel = 3.89"
    575 travel = 5.75

Medium ASR = 5.1 lbs
    Medium 575 = 5.75 lbs (carbon stays), 6.2 lbs (alu)

That should give you an idea of what each is intended for...

Basically the ASR-SL is a race machine...
    and about $1000 canadian.......and taiwan(575) vs USA(coloradao)ASR-SL if you're into that kinda thing. Note......some of those weld beads on the 575 have been way better then some of the stuff I've seen comin out of the yeti factory....but too each their own and please do not take this as flame bait just my own opinion.
    Last edited by TiEndo; 11-20-2006 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Has there been any issues concerning reliability or durability of the Carbon rear stays??

I haven't heard of any, but I would do a search on it....