mtbr member

Yeti 575 - Sizing, Shock, and Setup

I am looking at buying a 575 and have a few questions.

Was hoping to hear what sizes others were riding and thier thoughts. I am 5'11" which according to Yeti puts me between a Medium and Large. I have a 32" inseam, and weight 155lbs. I am thinking Medium because it would be easier to handle. What are your experiences? (No bike shop in Alaska has any to test ride, all Yetis have to be ordered...)

I have several options on the Front Shock. What shock seems to work best for this bike? I am leaning toward the Enduro Kit with the Talas Fork upgrade ($2350 out the door from LBS). I know everyone says to upgrade the wheels... Maybe some day. Any suggestions on the front shock? What about the rear RP3?

One last zinger.. What is the 2007 575 going to look like? Should I wait?

Once I get the beast, any setup tips?

Thanks!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK

Was hoping to hear what sizes others were riding and thier thoughts. I am 5'11" which according to Yeti puts me between a Medium and Large. I have a 32" inseam, and weight 155lbs. I am thinking Medium because it would be easier to handle. What are your experiences? (No bike shop in Alaska has any to test ride, all Yetis have to be ordered...)

I have several options on the Front Shock. What shock seems to work best for this bike? I am leaning toward the Enduro Kit with the Talas Fork upgrade ($2350 out the door from LBS). I know everyone says to upgrade the wheels... Maybe some day. Any suggestions on the front shock? What about the rear RP3?

Thanks!
    My suggestion would be to get the medium. I got the large and it fits me ok. I am 6' with a longer torso than normal so the longer top tube works for me.

I put the RS Revelation Air U-Turn on my 575 and I am really impressed with it. I would choose this fork over the talas.

The newer 575's will have the RP23 shock which is really sweet. They should be shipping now or very close to it.

The enduro is a good build. I got the Maxxis Crossmark tires and they are very good tires for the kind of area I ride. If you need a more aggressive tire then look at the Kenda's.

As far as tips... Order it, air up the shock and fork, go ride.... You will have a blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK

Thanks!
    I am 5'11.5'' with long legs and short torso and arms, so I went with the medium. The only problem I have is that I need to run a lot of spacers under the stem and a high-rise handlebar in order to get myself into a comfortable position.

The large has a larger head tube so that would have helped. I am currently using a 90mm stem with my seat all the way back, so again, the large might be better.

I am going to try and take some pictures of myself on the bike and post them here to get some feedback on my riding position.

Steve

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and I ride a Medium with a 90mm stem, which fits perfectly. I originally had a 110mm stem, but I think the 575 handles much better with a shorter stem. If I had a couple more inches of torso like you then I would have a tough time deciding between the Medium and the Large.

My bet is that in a couple of months the 575 will start shipping with the new 140mm Fox forks and the RP23. And you won't be able to get it for the same discounts that are available on the current model.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    whatever shock you get just get one with more trave than 130mm, you will be thankful...mine had the talas at first and then i got an AM1 with 130-150 adjustment...best upgrade i have made, usually run it around 145 or so, hardly ever less...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    mtbike_AK -

Are you in Anchorage? If you are, I have a large 2005 575 with the race disc kit (but with a Vanilla on the front). You are welcome to check it out/take it for a test ride. Sounds like we are about the same height, but I have about 20 lbs on ya!

Send me a PM or post over in the AK forum if you'd like to check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and I went with a medium and a DUC32 at first. The fit was 'ok', but I sure did have a lot of seatpost showing and the handlebars always felt low. I cracked my BB a month ago and traded in for a large and I like the fit much better. I'm now running a 130-150 All Mountain 1 with a 100mm stem and things feel perfect. I was worried about the extra inch of top tube, but my fears were unfounded. My advice is to try to ride both sizes if you can. I think there are a lot of us 'inbetweeners' our there.

Oh, and definitely get a fork with more than 130mm of travel. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    mtbike_AK -

Are you in Anchorage? If you are, I have a large 2005 575 with the race disc kit (but with a Vanilla on the front). You are welcome to check it out/take it for a test ride. Sounds like we are about the same height, but I have about 20 lbs on ya!

Send me a PM or post over in the AK forum if you'd like to check it out.

I sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I guess I'm used to my 100mm fork from my XC bike...I find the 130mm to be a biatch when I'm headed up steep hills.

I might have to upgrade to a TALAS so I can crank it down for stuff like that...of course I'll have to shoot the wife first before I can buy that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I had the same problem

I'm also 5'11" and was trying to decide between the medium and the large. I also have a neck problem which prevents me from riding forward as much as other riders. I also got a bike fit from the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine which does bike fits for many of the teams for the tour etc.

Here is what I discovered during my investigations:

1. The seat height is the most adjustable component of the bike, thus the least likely to make or break your decision between a medium and large.

2. The height of the handlebars in respect to the seat is most affected by frame size. At optimal leg extension on the seat, a large's handlebars will be higher and a mediums will be lower. Handlebar height can then be adjusted by stem length, spacers, and the rise of the stem etc. You need to determine if you like a very agressive stance on a bike (go medium) or if you like a more relaxed stance (go large).

3. Although the medium when tested felt, quicker in terms of handling I found the large more "roomy" and felt I could change my positioning more and found myself more comfortable in multiple positions.

4. Get avid brakes on that SOB and forget the Hayes.

5. In terms of fit the bible is considered to be Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists which can be found on Amazon. A must have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderson
    I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and I went with a medium and a DUC32 at first. The fit was 'ok', but I sure did have a lot of seatpost showing and the handlebars always felt low. I cracked my BB a month ago and traded in for a large and I like the fit much better. I'm now running a 130-150 All Mountain 1 with a 100mm stem and things feel perfect. I was worried about the extra inch of top tube, but my fears were unfounded. My advice is to try to ride both sizes if you can. I think there are a lot of us 'inbetweeners' our there.

Oh, and definitely get a fork with more than 130mm of travel. You won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    whatever shock you get just get one with more trave than 130mm, you will be thankful...mine had the talas at first and then i got an AM1 with 130-150 adjustment...best upgrade i have made, usually run it around 145 or so, hardly ever less...
    Does anyone else out there run the AM 1? How Heavy is it compated to the Fox Talas?
    Last edited by mtbike_AK; 06-14-2006 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My DUC weighed less than 4 lbs and my AM1 weighs around 5 lbs. I honestly can't tell much difference except in the performance. The AM1 is hands down a better fork. Bump absorption is much more refined. I've heard similar things about the Pike as well. My opinion is that a Pike or AM1 is the way to go in terms of getting your performance out of the bike.

mtbr member

5-foot-9 (and maybe a half)...

...and on a large. The medium felt TINY. Got a large w/ a 100mm stem and it's perfect.

Everyone's put together a bit differently, so all the advivce you're going to get should be considered anecdotal. Try both and see which one jumps out at you.

MM

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    ...and on a large. The medium felt TINY. Got a large w/ a 100mm stem and it's perfect.

Everyone's put together a bit differently, so all the advivce you're going to get should be considered anecdotal. Try both and see which one jumps out at you.

MM
    thats crazy...i am 5'8 (although i look much bigger) and ride a medium with 60mm stem...i wish i had a small, you must like to be stretched out i would guess..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

Stretched? Crazy?

Crazy like a fox, maybe.

Stretched? I don't think so, at least not in the true Erik Dekker 150mm stem roadie sense. I actually feel pretty upright on my large. I'd guess I'm pretty much right in the middle in terms of being totally upright or totally stretched out. Maybe my claims of being 'average' in physical dimension are off the mark? (I sure feel average in most regards.)

My past three bikes have been: S-works Enduro, 575, 5-spot and now I'm back on a 575. I'm firmly in the all-mountain-long-travel-XC camp. I know the folks that you're talking about - the ones who feel compelled to 'work their glutes'. That's not me. In fact, I often hum circus songs while I ride.

MM

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

ebook

Quote Originally Posted by Latlander
    5. In terms of fit the bible is considered to be Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists which can be found on Amazon. A must have.
    That's a very good book.

E-book version for $12.95 here:
    http://www.roadbikerider.com/booksto..._for_Cyclists_

While you are at the site you can sign up for the weekly newsletter. It comes every Thursday and though it's geared toward roadies it has tons of great info.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    Crazy like a fox, maybe.

Stretched? I don't think so, at least not in the true Erik Dekker 150mm stem roadie sense.
    I bet you lost 99.9% of the readers of this forum with that reference. Most pro Colnago riders run crazy long stems because Colnago's have such short top tubes for a given size bike and Ernesto Colnago likes it that way and refuses to do custom frames for pro's.
    "Do not touch the trim"