mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Yeti 575 to Replace my Stumpjumper FSR?

I'm considering replacing my 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Expert with a Yeti 575.

Thing is, I wasn't blown away by the 575 in the 10 minute parking lot ride. After reading threads here, I expected a magic carpet ride, but all I felt was that it was a really tall bike that was kind of stiff compared to the Stumpy horst.

Colorado front range stuff here - steep, rocky, long climbs followed by long rocky decents.

I may try to demo, but wondered what people thought coming from 4" SJ to Yeti 575.

mtbr member
    i don't have any experience with your specialized rig..

but, i have the following comments:

1) parking lot ride...imo, that's not worth much to get a feel for the bike. guess i wouldn't see how someone could form an opinion on a bike from a parking lot spin.
    2)setup. you can really dial it in. perhaps they had it set up really stiff..was the propedal activated?
    3) head angle. i have a pike (140mm) on my 575. it's a cadillac. the head angle is so relaxed (tall yes).

bottom line. ride it on an actual trail, and see if the demo guys can help you set it up before you leave the lot for your ride.

EDR
    no comparison IMO. Two different bikes. I compare this to my buddys 2003 SJ...is the FSR different than what he has? I don't know.

His bike is much more xc friendly, steeper front end and less plush. But, he rides everything I do and sometimes better. That's just the rider, not the bike.

The 575 does feel 'tall' in comparison, its' a feeling that takes a few rides to get used to, but if very techinical rides with rock drop offs and whatnot are your preference the Yeti is the clear chioce. If you ride more fast track, xc stuff then the SJ gets my nod of approval. Not that the Yeti can't handle that, it's just different and excels at the more technical rides.

the SJ120 might be a better comparison but reminds me a lot of the Blur LT (at 5inches also). Both bikes still feel very xc'ish to me compared to the Yeti.

It's a matter of preference, (of course).

EDIT: if by the 575 feeling 'stiff' you mean rear suspension wise, that's just a set up issue, it's very plush through it's travel.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 08-11-2006 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    no comparison IMO. Two different bikes.
    Good reply. It really boils down to xc-ish versus a trail bike.

I rode the Yeti last night on some steep, with baby heads, but no big rocks. The demo bike is a bit heavier than the SJ and I found that I was a bit slower on the long up. The down was more stable on the Yeti.

Today my eyes were opened. Bergen Peak is an hour and a half climb (for me anyway) with some serious rocks and waterbars. The Yeti was fantastic. I could climb over things that I would have slammed my SJ pedals on. I could pick more agressive lines because I was riding a mountain goat.

It was as good or better going up tight switchbacks because it was so stable. It would breeze up and over rocky stuff that my SJ could barely do. I got through one of those waterbar switchbacks where the waterbar is sticking way up whereas on my SJ I'd hit my pedals and stop. No questoin it was better going down tight switches. It has more inertia than the SJ - makes it more stable, less twitchy. Going up nasty big rocks was so much easier than on the SJ.

The ride down felt like cheating. I knew that the rocky stuff would be better. I didn't expect going down tight switchbacks to be easier - and I'm 5'10 3/4 on a large frame. I can't explain why, but I was making tighter turns going down switches on the Yeti.

I could see where the SJ would beat the Yeti on smooth singletrack and in an xc race. I wonder how much of it is due to weight. I didn't notice any bob with the Yeti. I suspect my SJ is 4 or 5 pounds lighter than the demo bike. If I got the Yeti down to within 2 pounds of the SJ, it might just be nirvana.

The only downside I see is that on a lot of rides, I'm chasing other really good xc-ish riders up long hills. This won't help that cause much...until we get to the top. Oh, and the box-o-bolts clinging and clanging noises when your going downhill fast.

It boils down to how much rocky stuff you ride IMO. Living on the front range of CO, there is a ton of it.

I see why people love the bike.
    Last edited by crashtoomuch; 08-12-2006 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Crashtoomuch,
    I went from an 04 stumpy fsr to a 575, and I agree with ALL of your observations (I was also really surprised how I could clean tight switchbacks so much more easily in the Yeti). Just know that, while the stumpy outclimbs the 575 on smooth long hills, the 575 completely obliterates the stumpy on technical climbs.

Buy the Yeti. You won't regret it.

Ant

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's all about setup on the 575. Once you have your rear/front sags set right and cockpit sizing adjusted, that bike is probably one of the very best for the Front Range. Once you get used to its feel over the SJ, you will love it. Set the sag right or the bike will feel tall. I know- one of my riding buddies has a SJ Expert. I don't particularly enjoy riding his bike but he loved riding my 575 on these rocky trails. It takes a bit of adjustment time and some proper setup of the 575.

I'm more on the XC side of things but I still think the 575 is one heck of a do-it-all bike if you get an adjustable fork, especially on the Front Range or where the trails are really rocky.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I'm considering replacing my 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Expert with a Yeti 575.

Thing is, I wasn't that blown away by the 575 in the 10 minute parking lot ride. After reading threads here, I expected a magic carpet ride, but all I felt was that it was a really tall bike that was kind of stiff compared to the Stumpy horst.

Colorado front range stuff here - steep, rocky, long climbs followed by long rocky decents.

I may try to demo, but wondered what people thought coming from 4" SJ to Yeti 575.
    I wasn't blown away with the 575 in the parking lot either, but then again I don't ride mine in parking lots much....

I also ride on the FR of CO, and I can't tell you how many times I've finished up a big, long day in the saddle and said "This is the perfect bike for the Front Range". Of course that isn't too shocking considering it was tested and refined in Golden.

My Yeti felt tall at first, but then I adjusted the stem angle/length and got my suspension dialed and it feels like home now. I tried a lot of other bikes before buying the Yeti, and 8 months later I still think I picked the best possible bike for me and the terrain I ride in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quite honestly, the parking lot ride on any long-travel suspension bike will suck compared to a short-travel XC bike. Chances are that the shock is not properly set up anyway but either way, it's like testing an ATV or dirt bike on the highway.