Thread: Yeti 575 noise

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Yeti 575 noise

Just got my new 575 last week. It is making a noise I can't quite identify. It reminds me of a lose reflector or lose water bottle mount screw kind of sound. But the water mounts are tight and of course it has no reflectors. Any ideas? Are the frames themselves a bit noisy/rattly? Thanks

Gravity Tester
    Are cables or hoses rattling against the frame in any areas?

mtbr member
    tonkabob,

No, the frames are not noisy/rattly. They are quite and solid. Most of the noise problmes I've had have been with not having the quick release tight or the bottom bracket not lube and tight enought.

I assume that when the bike was put together everything was lube. Make sure everything is tight and if you still have a problme start lubing a piece at a time then seeing if the noise is gone.

Good luck!!

Bomber
    ...derailleur hanger? quick release? Ive had these squeek......things you dont really thinkin about when looking for a noise

Who is John Galt?
    An old trick to anoy friends was to put a ball bearing in the bars before you put the grips on. Probably not what's causing yours but could be a bolt or washer inside the frame somewhere? the only noise on mine is the chain rattling around when I hit bumps.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member

loose brake pads?

tonkabob,

The first month on my 575 it made a rattling sound almost all the time. Took me a lot of trial and error to figure out what it was. But it ended up being the little resistence spring between the brake pads on the shimano brakes. I pulled it out and bent the little arms on it outward on each side so that it provides more outward pushback against the pads. No more rattling sound.

good luck -

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    An old trick to anoy friends was to put a ball bearing in the bars before you put the grips on. Probably not what's causing yours but could be a bolt or washer inside the frame somewhere? the only noise on mine is the chain rattling around when I hit bumps.
    Funny you say that, their is something rolling around in my rear wheel - Mavic 729 or 719?
    The sound seamed to be related to the frame or maybe just being amplified by the frame. So far the shifter cables vibrating on the frame (in granny gear?) sound most reasonable. It could also be drive train related. I just adjusted it all up and will see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    Are cables or hoses rattling against the frame in any areas?
    Yes, pretty sure that is it. The cables move or vibrate a bit on the cable guides and the frame really amplifies the sound. I added some 2 sided foam tape under the enclosed cables and 2 zip ties to tighten things up. Pretty sure that will take care of it.
    Love the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkabob
    Funny you say that, their is something rolling around in my rear wheel - Mavic 729 or 719?
    Look right around the weld on your rim. There is a small "block" under the weld that has most likely found it's way loose. You should be able to reach it with a drop or two of superglue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Metal Ferrule

My bike creaked with every movement of the bars. I replaced the seat clamp and the headset to no avail.....other than I have CK bling now. I finally found the annoying creak on my bike coming from the metal ferrule where it attaches to the front top tube on the right hand side. A drop of oil solved the problem. I think I'll replace it this offseason with a nylon ferrule.