mtbr member
    May 2013

Yeti 575 26er to 27.5 conversion advice needed!

** * *OK, so here's the deal - 27.5 wheels front and back is where I want to go, but I live on the other side of the world in Baku, Azerbaijan, and there isn't a market here for that size at all. *So, I'm in need of your best thoughts and opinions. *Because I'm a big guy, 6'3" 240 pounds, I need to be careful to order the right parts for the job from the get go. *Resources are quite limited over here as 27.5ers haven't even entered into the market as far as I know. *Did I just repeat myself?
    ** * *Anywho, I recently won two used Yeti frames from eBay - an XL 575 from The Pros Closet, believed to be a 2007 model, and an XL ASR-5, 2012 model with a sweet Fox RP23 w/ Kashima coating. *I'm looking at building up the 575 first and I need to find some friends who can guide me in the right direction. *What I really want to do is find someone who has already done the project with their 575, so if you know where I should look for Yeti owners who are converted, give me a clue, please.
    ** * *The crack that developed in the downtube of my 2009 Yeti 575's downtube was the first and real reason for me bidding on the older model 575. *I hadn't put many miles on the bike before I noticed it, around 200 to 300 more or less. *I only got the "mint condition" bike here in August 2013, also won from eBay, and only really started riding it after my new 2013 Rumblefish's suspension linkage failed on me back in November, but that's another story. *I still ride it with the crack and all, the 2009 Yeti, but only around my neighborhood very slowly and very carefully, so as not to break my neck. *So you see, I had originally intended on transferring most of my gear, including the 26 inch wheels, from my wounded 2009 575 over to the older, but unwounded, 2007 model when out of nowhere I understood something of the huge hype of the 27.5 market had more to it than meets the eye. *How did the idea of converting to the larger wheel even enter into my brain, I'll never fully understand. *I started researching and found pictures of conversions, then lists of bikes able to be converted: (650B Palace: 650B from 26" Convertible List)
    Somebody had listed the Yeti 575, 2006 model. *I think the 2006 model is identical to my frame, but I can't be absolutely sure.
    ** * *I wrote to TheProsCloset, the eBay company that sold me the frame, explaining my idea, and some barney suggested I wait till I got the frame (it's sitting over in my sister's apartment in Los Angeles at the moment) to see if the 27.5 wheels would work before I go ahead and order them and start my project. !.? *I live outside of civilization - dont'cha understand! *I explained my situation once, have I got to do it again? *There is no 27.5 market here! *Maybe my English wasn't so good, even though I am an English Teacher! *Anyways, I'm willing to take a risk buying 27.5 wheels but it's gotta be a calculated risk - I gotta be smart if I'm going to succeed, right? *Please help me be smart, help me succeed.
    ** * *My*fork is a Fox Float 32 RLC 140mm, standard 9mm QR. *I need to know if this'll work fine with the larger wheels (clearance issues?) or if I should go for a fork designated to run the larger 27.5 wheels? *Also, the seat stays on the rear end of the 575 are the aluminum alloy ones, not the carbon ones - is there a difference/does it matter? - who knows? *I think the chainstays are the same aluminum alloy stays that are on my 2009 model. *Any clearance issues running a 27.5 wheel there? *Tell me if you know. *It's late. *I've got school tomorrow. I'm going to sleep. *Good night.
    Paul Cruz Uribe

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Paul,

All that typing and ... yet ... lacks ... top google search hit for "yeti 650b conversion"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Read through that one twice before, unfortunately my iPad doesn't load up the images of the bike in question. So, I guess I got to get off the iPad and onto a computer to see what the bike looks like. What I came away with after reading it again was that only the front wheel works, but the back wheel couldn't be converted over. Is that the final answer then?

cnut
    (If your 575 has a carbon rear end (with the cross-brace) I very much doubt a 650b with a decent tyre would fit in there. My GF's 2011 575 only just fits a 26" with a 2.4 conti tyre. Maybe a tiny XC tyre would go on with a 650b, but it would leave absolutely zero mud clearance.) - Ignore all that, just realised you have the aluminium rear end.

Looking at other threads on this site, it looks like the ASR5 Carbon won't work.

Personally, I think you should build them up as 26ers and enjoy them as they were meant to be ridden :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarly View Post
    Personally, I think you should build them up as 26ers and enjoy them as they were meant to be ridden :-)
    ^^Agreed!

The geo of the 575-26" was optimized for 26" wheels. You risk compromising performance just to add an inch or so of added wheel diameter.

Perhaps try just a 27.5" on the front with a 140mm fork first.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for your advice gnarly and mtb_tico, but I already have the 2009 model 575 with the carbon crossbrace which can't be crossed over to 27.5" wheels. I now need to get that repaired. It's cracked at the seam, and needs to be taken to a professional who will tell me if it can be TIG WELDED or not. My plan is then to just ride it like you suggest. I just found a thread called: 2006 yeti 575 another look (2006 Yeti 575 - another look). The guy who started the thread, jnordby, and yetimeister5 both have given their thumbs up on their conversions. I am trying to get into contact with them now. So, according to their advice, it can be done with my 2007 model - yetimeister5's model is the same year model as mine. So, if I can make the change, then I will eventually have my 26er, a 27.5er, as well as the 29er. I just figured, why not have all three worlds under me, right? And if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. I can settle for 26" if it doesn't work out. I just needed to see if it's worth it from the people who have tried it already. It sounds like the conversion is worth it, especially for yetimeister5 and jnordby. If I could afford to buy Yeti's new SB75, that would really be the way to go, but that's just a dream for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    just keep it 26" with bigger tires. Same thing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.cruz.uribe View Post
    I live on the other side of the world in Baku, Azerbaijan,
    Baku you say...I think I saw you riding around town when I was visiting in October last year