Root Master

xx1 experiences?

Is anyone currently running full xx1 on their Yeti? If so, what are your thoughts on the system? Likes/dislikes?

I'm having the XX1 crank (32T variety) put on my SB-95 tomorrow but am leaving it as a 1x10 for the time being. Anyone doing this?
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have a XX1 crank on my new 66 build - but with a 10sp XT back end. Wasn't ready to jump all the way in to XX1 and the associated costs - plus I had a XT cassette and mech in perfectly good shape. I was considering various solutions for chain retention and was looking at a new middle ring anyhow - decided to go one step further.

So far it's been pretty awesome - the 10sp KMC chain has not missed a beat and the whole thing is near silent and shifts smoothly. The cranks feel nice and stiff and the setup has a clean, simple look. Since I have a few pretty steep pitches on my local trails I went with a 28t to save my knees - don't miss the top end as I don't really ride fire roads.

Only a few rides in but I'd definately recommend it as a 1x option! I'll throw up some pics in the build thread when I get time.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Are you using any sort of chain guide, or has retention been as advertised with the XX1 ring and 10 spd chain? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mypuppynow View Post
    I have a XX1 crank on my new 66 build - but with a 10sp XT back end. Wasn't ready to jump all the way in to XX1 and the associated costs - plus I had a XT cassette and mech in perfectly good shape. I was considering various solutions for chain retention and was looking at a new middle ring anyhow - decided to go one step further.

So far it's been pretty awesome - the 10sp KMC chain has not missed a beat and the whole thing is near silent and shifts smoothly. The cranks feel nice and stiff and the setup has a clean, simple look. Since I have a few pretty steep pitches on my local trails I went with a 28t to save my knees - don't miss the top end as I don't really ride fire roads.

Only a few rides in but I'd definately recommend it as a 1x option! I'll throw up some pics in the build thread when I get time.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Not running a guide of any sort - but I do have a clutch/+ rear mech, which helps. The XX1 ring is a pretty smart design, when taking the chain off by hand you realize that you need a lot more slack to remove it. As far as I can tell it seems extremely secure for trail duties.

Root Master
    I'm really excited about simplifying things with the 1x system. I'm also pumped to drop about a pound off my bike by getting rid of my x7 crank, front derailleur, and front shifter.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Several of the Yeti crew are riding SB66c's with the XX1 setup. Most of them ride dropper posts so the less clutter on the bar is very good. Chain retention is a non issue running the system bone stock. The gearing is well suited for the lunch hour rides on the front range, but due to the crazy white stuff I cannot attest to all day fests in the mountains. I am still not a fan of Avid Brakes, too much time bleeding to get them to work, and it would seem a bleed every now and again to keep them up. I personally prefer the Shimano system, set it and forget it.
    YMMV.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Running it as is 32 in front 11 in back on my 66c. It's great so far. No guide, super quiet. Only gripe is I wish it had shimano's double drop down shifting. It takes forever to get from the top down. (guess I'll have to wait for shimano to come out with 11 speed for that ;-) ) Going up is great though, can get 4 shifts with one thumb press. I couldn't agree more about avid brakes, JUNK. I'm running XTR's. Best brakes ever.