Thread: XTR crankset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

XTR crankset?

I have a question on the proper installation of a Shimano XTR Crankset on my 575. Specifically, my question is on the placement of the 2.5 mm spacers. Based on the 73 mm bottom bracket of the 575, the Shimano instructions call for one spacer to be installed on the right (chainwheel) side. However, if I follow those instructions it really throws off the front derailer (even if I adjust the derailer). I don't seem to have a problem if I switch the spacer to the opposite (left) side of the bottom bracket, which by the way is the same way the TruVativ was installed that I am replacing.

If anyone running a XTR crank on their 575 could check, I would appreciate it. Thanks, dj

local trails rider
    I recall people complaining about Shimano specifying a different chainline
    (compared with older stuff/other manufacturers ??)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I run my XT H2 crankset with one spacer on the drive side of my 575 with no issues.

mtbr member

No Spacers

I have the XTR crankset on my 575 setup with no spacers and the chain line is pretty good. I've used XTR, Race Face and Dura Ace bottom brackets with this configuration and no problems so far.

ciao -

Are you sure you bearings are preloaded at all? The axle in the H2 cranks needs one spacer (on whatever side you want) to achieve bearing preload... interesting...

mtbr member

Preloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Are you sure you bearings are preloaded at all? The axle in the H2 cranks needs one spacer (on whatever side you want) to achieve bearing preload... interesting...
    Not sure about this. I played around a bit with chain line until I got it right and it ended up being best with no spacers. As far as the bearings being preloaded, I figure they must be. Everything is tight, the cranks turn buttery smooth, and the shifting is spot on.

Well.. if it works for you.. great then.... you are not using an E-type derailleur, are you? (it would take the space of a spacer, but unlikely setup on a 575 I suppose)

Well.. if it works for you.. great then.... you are not using an E-type derailleur, are you? (it would take the space of a spacer, but unlikely setup on a 575 I suppose)

sorry double post

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well, its a year later, but I would love any more comment on this. I just got my 575 setup and running ( 3 rides in ). I have the new XTR 970 BB/Crankset. I put the spacer on the right side as instructed by Shimano. My shifting is pretty much perfect, (very slight rub on FD in some gears, even when not "crossed" too much = ie: middle ring, 2nd largest cog or granny ring and 3rd largest cog)

Anyway, I DO notice that the chain seems to have to make quite an angle from the chainrings to the cassette. This is most noticeable in the stand, in middle ring, 2nd largest Cog combo, if I back pedal, the chain will climb off the 2nd cog and fall to the 3rd cog because the chain is pulling it back to the outside.

What would the effect of moving the spacer to the left side be? I really think as Crisillo says, that you need the proper spacing to get the bearings pre-loaded properly. The left arm only tightens so far - not far enough to pull the cranks together if the BB spacing is too small.

thanks for any comment

Livin' the Dream
    I have XTR cranks and run the spacer on the right per Shimano instructions and haven't had any issues, XT derailleur. It took a while to get it set up, but so far, so good. (Knock on wood )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    I just installed my 970 cranks yesterday and took it for a spin today. So far, so good (and it shifts up way better than the RF Deus). I set it up per Shimano instructions for a 73mm non-E Bracket bb (one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side). No adjustments to the front derailleur necessary and chainline is good. A possible issue for some folks coming from RF would be that the install of the RF crankset may not have been correct (which results in a different chainline than 50mm). The installation and setup instructions for the the RF cranksets (with the variety of spacers and washers) are confusing at best. The Shimano installed painlessly and the preload adjusting nut system is also foolproof (at least, it's easier than the RF washer system).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you have the chance, throw her up in the stand, put it in the middle ring up front, and the 2nd largest cog in the back and then back-pedal and let me know if it jumps down to the next cog. Really, that's only symptom I can see - it just made me wonder if it was setup correctly. glad to hear of 2 cases where proper setup has been okay.