mtbr member
    Feb 2007

XL SB-66 wheelbase/Yeti Help

I'm in the market to buy a bike and have demoed a Pivot Mach 6 but am not sold on the 27.5 wheel size since I dont race and half the fun of riding is the challenges of endurance and techinical ability. Not to mention the added cost of the bikes.
    So I'm stoked to have money down on a SB 66 carbon frame that I was going to build up with some nice dt swiss xm 1501 wheels, Pike fork, upgraded shock (Fox or Cane Creek) and the list goes on.
    Ive tried to find any postings on the XL SB66's wheelbase (AN INCH LONGER than the LARGE) as well as so far unsuccessfully calling Yeti directly to find out what size would be best for someone that is 6'3''.

Can someone give me any insight on my concern with the wheelbase?
    jacquemin

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jacquemin View Post
    I'm in the market to buy a bike and have demoed a Pivot Mach 6 but am not sold on the 27.5 wheel size since I dont race and half the fun of riding is the challenges of endurance and techinical ability. Not to mention the added cost of the bikes.
    So I'm stoked to have money down on a SB 66 carbon frame that I was going to build up with some nice dt swiss xm 1501 wheels, Pike fork, upgraded shock (Fox or Cane Creek) and the list goes on.
    Ive tried to find any postings on the XL SB66's wheelbase (AN INCH LONGER than the LARGE) as well as so far unsuccessfully calling Yeti directly to find out what size would be best for someone that is 6'3''.

Can someone give me any insight on my concern with the wheelbase?
    Yeti Cycles / Home

You're right on the cusp of Yeti's recommendations, if you're long in the legs go with the XL, if you have a 33" or shorter inseam stick with the L would be my uneducated guess at an internet recommendation. Fortunately I'm right in the middle of the L pocket, but set my Yeti's up with long and tall everything else with a 33" inseam.
    13 SB95c/XT/EnveM60ChrisKing/RF NextSL/PikeRCT3SA/CCDBAcs/KS Lev
    13 ARCc/EnveAMChrisKing/XT 1x10 OneUp

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6'4 34inseam and ride xl

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks for the reply's....
    I wish it were simple making a decision and since I've not ridden an xl frame around its a bit nerve racking.
    to add to my concerns most all shops dont understand why I want a 26'' and not the new latest greatest 27.5.
    I just got done riding the bronson and a few weeks back rode the mach 6 and I cant stand how they peddle up hil (ergonomics) when it gets steep and technical and the wheels do feel bigger and less flickable.
    Guess it's a risk buying 26?
    jacquemin

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm another guy at 6'3" riding an XL aluminum 66. I'm running a Fox 36 fork, and it's a pretty tough & capable rig. The XL definitely lets you run a short stem so you can stay inside the cockpit on descents. In my perfect world the 66 might have a steeper seat angle by about one degree, but hey the seat adjusts fore/aft, right? So it's not a problem.

It sounds like you've had the fortunate opportunity to test ride a few bikes. Seems like you'll be able to make a choice with good info....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    I'm another guy at 6'3" riding an XL aluminum 66. I'm running a Fox 36 fork, and it's a pretty tough & capable rig. The XL definitely lets you run a short stem so you can stay inside the cockpit on descents. In my perfect world the 66 might have a steeper seat angle by about one degree, but hey the seat adjusts fore/aft, right? So it's not a problem.

It sounds like you've had the fortunate opportunity to test ride a few bikes. Seems like you'll be able to make a choice with good info....
    So what size stem are you running?
    jacquemin