Johnny Dependable

XL ASR 7 Too Big?

I missed the boat on this bike when everyone was blowing them out in the size I think I would prefer (large) and now all that are left are smalls and XL. I'm 6'2" and tip the scales at 260. I've always purchased the largest size frame available with previous bikes (21" or XL), but I hear ASR-7 is a different beast. I'm currently on an XL Butcher and before that road an XL Bullit. Honestly I do find Santa Cruz's XL frames to be on the compact side and would prefer a slightly longer TT length. I just don't know if an extra 2 inches is more than I want. My inseam is only 33" but I have a freakishly long torso that adds up to 6' 2". Do you guys think the XL ASR 7 will be too long for me or doable? There are no local dealers with stock for me to test ride. Should I pull the trigger or pass?

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I am 6'2 ish" and my large 7 is a beast. Not to big to the point that it's not fun to ride. But I definitely know when I go from a different bike in a large and my 7. And my medium dj bike feels like a toy after riding the 7.

I would think that a XL would be a very big bike for you to ride. My manager rides a XL 575 and I am not comfortable on it.

EDIT: I am rocking a 34" inseam and a long torso too..
    Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

jddist
    May 2008
    For what it is worth, I would be more concerned with your weight being a major issue. The 7 is a fantastic bike, I have one as my main bike and love it, but at your 260lbs weight I think you are going to have a big problem getting the rear suspension to work for you. First off there is probably no way you will be able to use an air shock. I am 195 and have to run the DHX air at 235-240psi. Can't imagine what yours would need to be set to. That forces you to a coil, not that is a bad thing, and even then I think you will need such a stiff spring that I think you will have problems getting the rear end dialed. Just my thoughts. Lets see if any bigger guys at your weight can provide any feedback. You might want to start a another thread based asking for feedback on this possible issue.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    The weight thing is a good point. I had issues with my Rp23. I actually never liked that shock. It doesn't have enough volume to really let the 7 ride well. Granted my 7 gets ridden hard and outside of what the Rp23 was designed for, at 165 lbs I had to run a ton of air to make the bike ride the way I wanted it to.. And then I blew up my Rp23... Its back at fox right now.

what the quan?!
    @BB - seems like you're right in between sizes... top end of the Large and bottom end of the XL. If you go the XL route, you can always get a shorter stem!

I am only 6 foot 1 with a 34 inseam (ride a Large) but my arms are longer by a couple inches (freakishly long arms, i know) so I had to get a stem that was 20mm longer.

Similar to swan, I am only around 165lbs, but I ride with 225-230lbs in my rp23... I am seriously considering getting it PUSH'D with the BigHit kit; as it still bottoms out for me. Ack! Guess I gotta improve my landing techniques or some shiz.

If I was to go coil, a CaneCreek DB would be the option I go with... sure wish they'd come out with their DBAIR already, it looks intriguing.

If you're getting a good deal on the XL frame, I say go for it! You could always hock it later if it doesn't work out for ya. The 7 is one bad mofo!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2", 230# and ride an XL. I rode a Large 575 prior and found it to feel a little small at times. I stepped up the the XL ASR7 and use a 70mm stem and a seatpost with no setback. I find it a good ride for me. I haven't ridden a Large 7 to compare. When I looked at the geometry from the lrg 575 I had, the top tube was less than an inch different from the XL ASR7. With the shorter stem I find it to be a non issue. I ran the stock 110mm stem on the 575.

Where are located? If your anywhere near central california you're welcome to try out mine.

On the issue of rear suspension, I found the DHX air to work fine but I had to run high pressures to get my sag right, which lessened the sensitivity of it. I switched over to a DHX RC4 coil and love it. (550# spring rate). Great compliance and progression and none of the mid travel wallow the DHX air had.

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    For what it is worth, I would be more concerned with your weight being a major issue. The 7 is a fantastic bike, I have one as my main bike and love it, but at your 260lbs weight I think you are going to have a big problem getting the rear suspension to work for you. First off there is probably no way you will be able to use an air shock. I am 195 and have to run the DHX air at 235-240psi. Can't imagine what yours would need to be set to. That forces you to a coil, not that is a bad thing, and even then I think you will need such a stiff spring that I think you will have problems getting the rear end dialed. Just my thoughts. Lets see if any bigger guys at your weight can provide any feedback. You might want to start a another thread based asking for feedback on this possible issue.
    I've got an rp23 on my butcher right now, and previously had a dhx on my bullit. I've been able to get both air shocks so stiff it was like riding a hard tail. I've never had to do anything beyond routine maintenance to my air shocks. Never had a blow out. I don't know where people get their info. You're not the first misinformed person with good intentions to give me this unsolicited information. FWIW the worst shock I ever owned was a Romic D coil shock with upgraded 650lb spring. Wet noodle. Thanks for the concern, I guess, but please lets stick to the topic at hand and not derail the subject. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigBill; 02-17-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    @BB - seems like you're right in between sizes... top end of the Large and bottom end of the XL. If you go the XL route, you can always get a shorter stem!

I am only 6 foot 1 with a 34 inseam (ride a Large) but my arms are longer by a couple inches (freakishly long arms, i know) so I had to get a stem that was 20mm longer.

Similar to swan, I am only around 165lbs, but I ride with 225-230lbs in my rp23... I am seriously considering getting it PUSH'D with the BigHit kit; as it still bottoms out for me. Ack! Guess I gotta improve my landing techniques or some shiz.

If I was to go coil, a CaneCreek DB would be the option I go with... sure wish they'd come out with their DBAIR already, it looks intriguing.

If you're getting a good deal on the XL frame, I say go for it! You could always hock it later if it doesn't work out for ya. The 7 is one bad mofo!
    Right on, good info. Thanks

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    I'm 6'2", 230# and ride an XL. I rode a Large 575 prior and found it to feel a little small at times. I stepped up the the XL ASR7 and use a 70mm stem and a seatpost with no setback. I find it a good ride for me. I haven't ridden a Large 7 to compare. When I looked at the geometry from the lrg 575 I had, the top tube was less than an inch different from the XL ASR7. With the shorter stem I find it to be a non issue. I ran the stock 110mm stem on the 575.

Where are located? If your anywhere near central california you're welcome to try out mine.

On the issue of rear suspension, I found the DHX air to work fine but I had to run high pressures to get my sag right, which lessened the sensitivity of it. I switched over to a DHX RC4 coil and love it. (550# spring rate). Great compliance and progression and none of the mid travel wallow the DHX air had.
    Thanks for your generous offer, but I'm in CO. You're the 3rd person who has said I should get it. Really leaning towards pulling the trigger!

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
    I've got an rp23 on my butcher right now, and previously had a dhx on my bullit. I've been able to get both air shocks so stiff it was like riding a hard tail. I don't know where people get their info. You're not the first misinformed person that has said this to me. The worst shock I ever owned was a Romic D coil shock with 650lb spring. Wet noodle. Thanks for the concern, I guess, but please lets stick to the topic at hand and not derail the subject. Thanks.
    I am not misinformed. I was not making a statement regarding air shocks not being able to handle a heavier rider. I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to the 7 and its leverage ratio and linkage. What does any shock on a butcher, bullit, or any other frame for that mater have anything to do with the 7? NONE. The fact you made that statement tells me that you are the misinformed one. The 7 has a strange leverage ratio, I believe that is the correct term, which has been discussed a number of times here over the years because heavier rides will have to put so much air pressure in the shock is will be out of spec and performance will possibly be compromised. I was just putting that fact out there as something to think about, and to maybe get some feedback from others that may help you before you go spending your hard earned money. I though I was doing you a favor, but you know, you are right. If the RP23 worked on your butcher then it should work perfectly on a 7. Buy one tonight without hesitation and good luck

Johnny Dependable
    I am not misinformed. I was not making a statement regarding air shocks not being able to handle a heavier rider. I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to the 7 and its leverage ratio and linkage. What does any shock on a butcher, bullit, or any other frame for that mater have anything to do with the 7? NONE. The fact you made that statement tells me that you are the misinformed one. The 7 has a strange leverage ratio, I believe that is the correct term, which has been discussed a number of times here over the years because heavier rides will have to put so much air pressure in the shock is will be out of spec and performance will possibly be compromised. I was just putting that fact out there as something to think about, and to maybe get some feedback from others that may help you before you go spending your hard earned money. I though I was doing you a favor, but you know, you are right. If the RP23 worked on your butcher then it should work perfectly on a 7. Buy one tonight without hesitation and good luck
    I edited just before your post to try and take the edge off, but apparantly it was too late. I'm not trying to kill the messenger, I guess you had good intentions. I would rather you point me to hard data if you have some though, if it's "fact." Sounded more like opinion. I've heard the same song and dance about air shocks not being able to accommodate clydsdales for 6 years, meanwhile I've been riding nothing else. So I yawn most times when I hear this rhetoric nowadays. If you've got something more than words to suggest the frame geometry of the 7 makes it more vulnerable to shock failure than other comparable frames, I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2", 240 and have an XL 5 with a 110 stem on it, at 32" bike inseam I'm all torso. I have one spacer over the stem and ride with bars and seat just about even. If the geometry of the 7 is within 20mm of the 5 on the top tube you would be fine on it. I'm on my phone so I can't see the Yeti site to check. I run my RP23 less than 220 so who knows, I love my XL. My wife is 5'10", all legs and rides a medium 5. I am a firm believer it's about the top tube so check out the measurements and see how it matches with what you have ridden before.

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden View Post
    I'm 6'2", 240 and have an XL 5 with a 110 stem on it, at 32" bike inseam I'm all torso. I have one spacer over the stem and ride with bars and seat just about even. If the geometry of the 7 is within 20mm of the 5 on the top tube you would be fine on it. I'm on my phone so I can't see the Yeti site to check. I run my RP23 less than 220 so who knows, I love my XL. My wife is 5'10", all legs and rides a medium 5. I am a firm believer it's about the top tube so check out the measurements and see how it matches with what you have ridden before.
    Word. That's exactly what I thought but it is good to get more confirmation. The TT on the 7 is exactly 26mm longer than the butcher I ride currently. I always ride 40-60mm DH stems though so I think I'll be fine with my sasquatch torso. I'm pulling the trigger! And hell, if it doesn't fit huckroll has a 60 day no hassle return policy. I guess I'd just be out the return shipping fees. This will be my first Yeti. I'm excited! I've always wanted one since test riding the 06 AS-X at Keystone.

Johnny Dependable

Thanks again for these recommendations. Makes me feel better about my blind purchase. If I find myself bottoming out I'll get it push'd with the big hit kit. If that doesn't work I'll upgrade to the double barrel with 600lb spring. I've heard nothing but good things about cane creek shocks. It's a crying ass shame so many bike companies have their rear ends married to fox or rockshox.

But I really don't foresee a problem as I've never had an issue with an air shock before and I've road 3 that a lot of people are supposedly having the most problems with (rp23-current, dhx-previous, pearl izumi-way back when).

Johnny Dependable
    PULLED THE TRIGGER AT 8AM MOUNTAIN TIME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

Now that I got mine I'll share the info. I thought this was a pretty damn good deal. What do you guys think?

Big Bill's new bike = Yeti Cycles AS-R 7 Pro XTR - RP23*from Hucknroll.com
    Only 2 left in stock.
    Last edited by BigBill; 02-18-2012 at 07:47 AM.

what the quan?!
    PULLED THE TRIGGER AT 8AM MOUNTAIN TIME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
    That deal is INSANE!! I got my 7 from Huck too! But it was last June, and its only the XT build at 4300.

I can tell you this... I will never buy another new season bike again. Late year model for me is will be the way to go from here on out... I've learned my lesson, er my wallet has!

Johnny Dependable
    That deal is INSANE!! I got my 7 from Huck too! But it was last June, and its only the XT build at 4300.

I can tell you this... I will never buy another new season bike again. Late year model for me is will be the way to go from here on out... I've learned my lesson, er my wallet has!
    Yup, I learned that lesson a long time ago. I get mine last, but I don't pay geek tax! Thanks for your help here dang!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Thanks again for these recommendations. Makes me feel better about my blind purchase. If I find myself bottoming out I'll get it push'd with the big hit kit. If that doesn't work I'll upgrade to the double barrel with 600lb spring. I've heard nothing but good things about cane creek shocks. It's a crying ass shame so many bike companies have their rear ends married to fox or rockshox.

But I really don't foresee a problem as I've never had an issue with an air shock before and I've road 3 that a lot of people are supposedly having the most problems with (rp23-current, dhx-previous, pearl izumi-way back when).
    The other fault of the Rp23 is that the small air volume doesn't lend well to the 7's ratio. At 170 pounds I blew up my Rp23 and had to send it back to fox. I say buy the 7 ride the hell out of it and when the fox goes on you don't bother getting it push'd but buy a different shock. A ccdb, or any other shock.

I just never thought the Rp23 was a good match for the 7. I just couldn't afford a vivid air when I bought the bike.

jddist
    May 2008
    I edited just before your post to try and take the edge off, but apparantly it was too late. I'm not trying to kill the messenger, I guess you had good intentions. I would rather you point me to hard data if you have some though, if it's "fact." Sounded more like opinion. I've heard the same song and dance about air shocks not being able to accommodate clydsdales for 6 years, meanwhile I've been riding nothing else. So I yawn most times when I hear this rhetoric nowadays. If you've got something more than words to suggest the frame geometry of the 7 makes it more vulnerable to shock failure than other comparable frames, I'd be interested.
    The fact is that I weigh 195 and have to put 235-240psi in my DHX air on my 7 to get %30 Sag. My friend has an RP23 on his and also has to put much much much more psi in his that on any other bike he has owned. There have also been a number of people over the past couple of years saying the same think in various posts. I may be at your weight you need to put close to 300 psi in yours to get proper sag and I believe FOX state that 300 is the max pressure to put into there air shocks. Their own shock pump only reads up to 300. I did not say it would not work, just that you might want to be cautious and get some feedback from some heavier riders.

Johnny Dependable
    The fact is that I weigh 195 and have to put 235-240psi in my DHX air on my 7 to get %30 Sag. My friend has an RP23 on his and also has to put much much much more psi in his that on any other bike he has owned. There have also been a number of people over the past couple of years saying the same think in various posts. I may be at your weight you need to put close to 300 psi in yours to get proper sag and I believe FOX state that 300 is the max pressure to put into there air shocks. Their own shock pump only reads up to 300. I did not say it would not work, just that you might want to be cautious and get some feedback from some heavier riders.
    Water under the bridge at this point, I already pulled the trigger. It's not a problem though, I don't mind shelling out the $$ down the road for a double barrel coil, in what I feel is the unlikely event the RP23 doesn't work out. This is the bike I wanted, and it's the one I got. Forward ho!

Long live the ASR-7
    Did your bike come in yet? I'm looking to buy one as well and am right with you. 6'3" and probably 240lbs with my gear. I'm riding a Large 575 right now and feel like it is too small. Not sure how a Large vs XL 7 would fit me.

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    Did your bike come in yet? I'm looking to buy one as well and am right with you. 6'3" and probably 240lbs with my gear. I'm riding a Large 575 right now and feel like it is too small. Not sure how a Large vs XL 7 would fit me.
    Yup, my bike got here Friday. Lightning fast shipment and the best packing job I've ever received with a mail order bike. I've only ridden it around the culdesac, but so far the sizing seems good. The original seatpost doesn't go down far enough, but I'm replacing it with an adjustable seatpost anyway so it doesn't really matter. At your size I"d say pull the trigger.

bog
    mtbr member
    Pics and ride report? How's the rear tire clearance at the bottom yoke?
    SC Tallboy C : Spec Enduro 29 : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9000

Johnny Dependable
    Not biking season for me yet. It's snowboarding season until mid April. Will update this thread with pics and ride report in about 6 weeks lol. Road it around the block though and it seems like the fit is going to work for me. Definitely didn't notice any clearance issues with the rear tire. Switching the rear tire to a 2.25 though anyway. Going to swap out the seatpost, and xc oriented front end with a kind shock adjustable seatpost, funn rippa 45mm stem and fatboy 2" riser bars. Slapping on some red Answer Rove flat pedals to finish it off. It's going to be sick.