Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

AS-X spring rate

I have a medium 2006 AS-X frame w/ FOX DHX 5.0 and stock 450 spring.

I weight around 167.
    Yeti have a shock setup guide on their site with a spring rate table, according to this table the 450 spring is for 130-190 lbs riders.
    I get around 40-50 % SAG with this spring with full gear.

should I change it to a 500 spring (with rider weight of 150-210 according to Yeti) ? won't the bike be too firm for my weight ?

I haven't bottomed out, can I damage the shock if i'll continue riding with my spring until i'll replace it ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i still haven't replaced the spring, i don't know if i should get a 500 or a 550 spring.
    how can it be that the stock 450 spring is too low for my weight ?

local trails rider
    Did you adjust the spring preload?
    How much do you weigh in full gear?

Yeti suggested a 550 spring to me but I and the guys at the LBS figured that a 600/2.55 would work for me. Happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    the preload is closed all the way, and i get around 50% sag even without gear.
    i weigh 76 kg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i replaced the spring to a 550 that was in my lbs without paying anything.
    sag seems to be okay (about 35% with preload fully opened), but the bike feels stiff (maybe im just not used to it).
    should i keep this spring or try to get a 500 spring ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    this doesn't make sense.. it says I need a 400 spring.
    also some fox calculator I used said I need 450.

does anyone have any idea what shall I do ?

mtbr member
    Stick with the Yeti factory recommendations. They gear them for riders around 160# (plus or minus 10). 40-50% sag is what you want - - sounds like things are perfect. If you aren't bottoming, you are OK.

I have the 04 frame with the 5th Element and I weigh about 170#. When I got it, I set it all EXACTLY to the factory default values and it has never given me any troubles at all.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the answer,
    I wasn't bottoming with the 450 spring, my "expert" friend which is a little bit heavier than me bottomed out on a test ride and closed the bottoming out almost all the way until i'll get a new spring.
    the 50% sag is too much, really hard to pedal.

i'm pretty clueless with this spring thing.

mtbr member
    I also don't see how you are getting that much sag. ASX uses a 2.5" travel damper, to get either 6.5 or 7.3" travel - that's either 2.6:1 or 2.9:1 ratio. 40% sag would be 450# at the spring with the 450# spring, 50% would be 562#. I'm sure someone will doublecheck my math, but it seems to me like you'd have to weigh well over 400 lbs with gear, and have all of your weight on the rear wheel, to get that much static compression. That's not to say the setup isn't too soft for you, but if you really are getting that much sag I'd suspect your spring is not indeed 450#. I'm an XC kind of guy so this is more of a question: is it possible a spring could crack or somthing (some explanitaion why he isn't getting spring rate). Only other explaination I could think of is the spring is actually lighter and is mis-labeled.

edit: I just thought about it some more, my math is assuming the compression ratio is fairly constant i.e., 2.6" (or 2.9") of wheel movement equals 1" of spring compression. If the ASX uses a fairly extreme rising-rate linkage that could account for low forces witha lot of sag. still seems like a lot with that spring...

How are you measuring sag anyway? I've yet to figure out a good way with coil shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Im estimating the SAG by looking at it, not very accurate but it gives you the idea.
    The idea of a mislabled spring crossed my mind..

with the current 550 spring I get 30-35 % sag... so with a 450 it cant be 35%...

I sent emails to both yeti and fox, yeti stick to their 450 recommendation, fox had a more detailed reply saying 450 is recommanded for the 6.5" travel and 500 for the 7.3"
    (im using the 7.3").

mtbr member
    You need to measure things rather than eyeballing to be sure. BTW, I looked at the DHx setup and, contrasting it with my 5th Element, I stand corrected. Looks like my 5th could take more sag (30-50 for DH use), whereas your DHX calls for 35 max it looks like.

Measuring sag is easy. Measure the eye-to-eye unloaded. Then sit on it both feet off the ground (lean against a wall - lightly) and measure eye-to-eye. Divide the difference (sag) by the shock's stroke and viola! (or use the numbers on your setup guide, page 3).

According to the chart, too, a 550# spring is way off the scale - no way you should need that much spring for your weight. This is an ASX, not an XC racer. Let it sag. Plant your butt on the saddle and spin to climb.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    definitely measure it as carefully as you can.... 30% sag is good..

I am 210 and i had to put a 650lb spring on my asx to get it right.

I have a 2003 asx which has a shorter shock on it, so it needs a sligtly stiffer spring. I converted mine to a DHX though.

I like having a stiffer spring on my ASX.

Also those spring caculators usually assume linear spring rates.... the ASX is an extremely high ramping spring design. Yeti's setup guide for the ASX recommends maximum volume and minimum pressure... I have found these settings to be great. this minimizes the "SPV" or "pro pedal" affects. Also i would say the DHX on the ASX works best with pro pedal off if you are going downhill and max propedal when climbing.... Fox should make a pro pedal lever for the DHX in my opinion.

The ASX design pedals incredibly well without any stable platform.... i think Krispy at go-ride is even using a VANRC on his ASX.
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    so what do you suggest me to do? keep the 550# spring with the 30+% sag and stiff feeling atleast when static compressing it by sitting down or try to get a 500# spring?

i just don't understand how come Yeti's recommendation for a spring is wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bsphere
    I have a medium 2006 AS-X frame w/ FOX DHX 5.0 and stock 450 spring.

I weight around 167# ~76kg
    I get around 40-50 % SAG with this spring with full gear.

I haven't bottomed out, can I damage the shock if i'll continue riding with my spring until i'll replace it ?
    Hi bsphere,

We seem to be in the same boat: I don't know how much I weight with all the gear on, but considering that butt-naked I'm circa 76kg as well, my riding weight must be >180lbs ~ 80+kg (2-litre bladder alone is 2kg). I'm riding 2005 AS-X medium on the same shock/spring combo, and I also feel it's way too soft: due to ~50% sag, I tend to hit roots and rocks with my pedals a lot. The only difference is that I do bottom it out on harsh landings.

I asked at my LBS whether I should go to 500#, but they said that 50# increase wouldn't make sufficient difference, and that I should increase by 100# or to 550#, which I'm about to order.

Anyone else on AS-X @ same weight out there? -- what spring rate do you run?

Cheers,
    -Tomasz

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    its nice to hear that im not the only weird one in this situation.
    I emailed both Yeti and FOX.

Yeti says 450 and that's it.
    FOX said 450 for 6.5" and 500 for 7.3", my LBS too said that a 50# difference is nothing.
    currently I have a 550# spring that I replaced with my 450# for free. at static compression (sitting on the bike) it feels a little bit stiff (maybe im just not used to it), but the sag is about 30%+ which is fine.
    I haven't ridden it in the trails with the new spring yet so I have no further info.

mtbr member

AS-X Spring

My ASX in the 7.1" travel setting is a 500lb spring, my weight 175Lbs, suited up 185lbs. The spring rate is perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo
    My ASX in the 7.1" travel setting is a 500lb spring, my weight 175Lbs, suited up 185lbs. The spring rate is perfect.
    Thanks Desmo!
    185lbs = 84kg; suspect with full gear I might be closer to 190lbs, and believe it's better to be at the "low end" of a spring (less preload), so this seems to confirm that 550lbs should be just about right for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a 550# spring that I replaced with my 450#
    I haven't ridden it in the trails with the new spring yet so I have no further info.
    Did you have a chance to test it? -- how does it feel on a trail and doing jumps / drops?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    it feels just fine, maybe it's a little bit stiff and i need 500, but i got a good sag.
    i dont know if it's worth the time and $$$ to replace the 550 to a 500 just to check.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    it feels just fine, maybe it's a little bit stiff and i need 500, but i got a good sag.
    i dont know if it's worth the time and $$$ to replace the 550 to a 500 just to check.
    Guess we get used to what we ride, so possibly after riding too soft a spring, the optimal one may feel too stiff by comparison (?) -- bottoming-out would be a good practical test: if it never happens, then the spring is too stiff. I reckon I will manage to bottom it out every now and then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

have you stuck with your 550# ?

Guess what, bsphere: I'm still on my stock 450# spring... (a supplier was out of stock when I had an opportunity to buy) ...but at least I can ask for your "field-test" feedback (?!)

Cheers,
    -Tomasz

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i'm pretty happy with the 550# spring.

I don't get to ride much because of exams and the weather, but it seems to be just fine, i don't bottom it and its not too stiff..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My 2005 medium, asx came with a 450lb spring which always felt soft. At 180lbs, i was 35% into my sag w/out gear. Replaced with a 550lb spring and am much happier with the ride of the bike.

Also, fox springs are known to have a standard error in rating of up to 25%. Think about that one. A 450lb spring could be anywhere between 340lbs-560lbs... just fyi.

psphere- call me at 253-970-4594 if you still have any setup questions,

mtbr member
    Adam (NWfreeride) is 100% right on this one. When we first bought our as-x's we were a bit confused about the over sag. I bought a super fat kid spring 700lb, for a 200lb rider and exchanged it for my 500lb spring.. it brought my sag from about 50% to 35%. The bike felt so much better, in its pedaling, descending and landings off of jumps and drops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast