Young, Shawn Young

x post from shock forums

"Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

EDR
    sometimes it's hard to differentiate pedal induced bob from trail or weight induced input. I have checked this many times during the first few months of riding this bike.

I have almost zero pedal induced movement in my suspension when in full PP, however this doesn't mean that the shock doesn't travel quite a bit when climbing, especially technical climbs (of course). This is not 'pedal bob' though. I can verify this by the way my supsenison acts (or more acurately 'doesn't act) when exerting a lot of pedal force on very smooth, uphill sections. In this test I get no pedal bob and the shock has virtually no movement until my weight and body movements start to come into affect, at this point the shock may start to move, but again, this is not pedal induced.

What is your riding weight and what pressure do you run?

Who is John Galt?
    I have a good friend who used to ride pro for Yeti and others. He gave me this tip to check out bike suspension:

Sit on the bike and bounce up and down. Check to see if this moves the chain forward or backward. He said he shot for no movement in the frames he built. I haven't tried this on the Yeti.
    What, me hurry?

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    sometimes it's hard to differentiate pedal induced bob from trail or weight induced input. I have checked this many times during the first few months of riding this bike.

I have almost zero pedal induced movement in my suspension when in full PP, however this doesn't mean that the shock doesn't travel quite a bit when climbing, especially technical climbs (of course). This is not 'pedal bob' though. I can verify this by the way my supsenison acts (or more acurately 'doesn't act) when exerting a lot of pedal force on very smooth, uphill sections. In this test I get no pedal bob and the shock has virtually no movement until my weight and body movements start to come into affect, at this point the shock may start to move, but again, this is not pedal induced.

What is your riding weight and what pressure do you run?
    Not getting any love on the shock forums. I weigh about 175-180. When Im all geared up Im closer to 192(full camelbak) My main concern is there doesnt seem to be any difference between the three settings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    My main concern is there doesnt seem to be any difference between the three settings.
    You should be able to see/feel a difference in your living room. Stand next to the bike and push down on your seat with the shock in Pro pedal while looking at the shock travel. Then flick the blue lever to a softer setting and do it again. It should be noticeably easier and travel farther with the softer setting.

Young, Shawn Young
    I received some great advice from Darren at Push Industries. He told me to reduce the pressure in the shock to about 50psi and then cycle thru the settings. It was much easier to see the difference with 50 psi in the shock versus 180psi. So, I know that it is working but I feel like if I get the shock pushed I could get a firmer propedal. So, that is the direction Im leaning atm. Also, it could be my imagination but after resetting the shock at 180psi the propedal seemed to work better. Thanks for the replies,

Shawn

In my mind, I can do it!
    I received some great advice from Darren at Push Industries. He told me to reduce the pressure in the shock to about 50psi and then cycle thru the settings. It was much easier to see the difference with 50 psi in the shock versus 180psi. So, I know that it is working but I feel like if I get the shock pushed I could get a firmer propedal. So, that is the direction Im leaning atm. Also, it could be my imagination but after resetting the shock at 180psi the propedal seemed to work better. Thanks for the replies,

Shawn
    You weigh the same as me and have the same bike setup. For 25% sag I have about 155psi in my RP3. If you are putting 180psi in I think maybe you are putting too much air and because of that you wouldn't feel the difference much. I did the same thing when I first got my 575 because I wasn't used to the extra suspension and thought that I needed to get it as firm as possible. It was the wrong thing to do. You defeat the purpose of the suspension on the 575 with too much air. Set it for 25% sag (1/2") and go ride it. You will notice a huge difference in the suspension feel and the different settings will be more noticeable. When you have the 575 set correctly it makes the bumps disappear and you get the floating feeling that drew us all to the 575 in the first place. I thought I needed a more firm feeling but after setting correctly I can say it makes a huge difference and does not hinder the ride characteristics.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    You weigh the same as me and have the same bike setup. For 25% sag I have about 155psi in my RP3. If you are putting 180psi in I think maybe you are putting too much air and because of that you wouldn't feel the difference much. I did the same thing when I first got my 575 because I wasn't used to the extra suspension and thought that I needed to get it as firm as possible. It was the wrong thing to do. You defeat the purpose of the suspension on the 575 with too much air. Set it for 25% sag (1/2") and go ride it. You will notice a huge difference in the suspension feel and the different settings will be more noticeable. When you have the 575 set correctly it makes the bumps disappear and you get the floating feeling that drew us all to the 575 in the first place. I thought I needed a more firm feeling but after setting correctly I can say it makes a huge difference and does not hinder the ride characteristics.
    What about with all your gear on? Im about 175lbs but when I throw a camelbak on with a full water bladder your talking quite a bit of change, Maybe that shouldnt be coming into play? I think you may be right but I just want to explore different ideas.

ps the new rp23 shock is out of the question, I just dropped 700 bucks on new golf clubs:O

EDR
    What about with all your gear on? Im about 175lbs but when I throw a camelbak on with a full water bladder your talking quite a bit of change, Maybe that shouldnt be coming into play?
    Of course......go by your riding weight. I'm about 200lbs when fully loaded, maybe a little less. I think I run about 195psi but it could be + or - 5 psi depending on the days riding expectations. 5 or 8 psi makes a big difference on the 575, at least to me....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Sag and settings

If you cannot see or feel a difference between the 3 settings while riding than you are on a really smooth trail, have a great spin or have way too much air in the shock.

I run about 175 - 190 and I weigh 200 + water. I ride 95% in the middle, 4% - and 1% +. There is a HUGE difference between + & -. I only use + for out of saddle uphill smooth trails. I find it too firm even at the reduced PSI. I ride - for really rocky / rooted trail sections. I can climb in it and often forget to switch back. I can ride over 4" roots full speed seated.

If you get it "pushed" for $185 you will see a bigger range between the 3 settings.

I also now move my seat up and down 3 - 4 times per ride and this changes the ride. I used to ride full height like a roadie with very slight bend in knee on down stroke. Too high a center of gravity now. I run it 2 - 6 inches lower. Helps you carve turns and do log rolls. I find that it is hard to spin with a low seat height it changes the muscles used.

Just my 2 cents