Thread: AS-X Hardware

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

AS-X Hardware

I've had some funky play in my suspension lately and I finally took out all the bolts to have a look at the bushings on my '03 AS-X, it looks like the pin that attaches the swingarm to the rate link is worn and a little bent, I figure that's a pretty straightforward replacement part that I should be able to get from a dealer no problem, people break pins all the time. I've also got a lot of play in the swinglink where it attatches to the frame, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I don't remember it being so loose before but I don't remember the last time I had the shock off either. I don't really want to buy the basic rebuild kit because it doesn't include the swing link hardware. My main pivot bearings feel pretty smooth still, the main pivot axle shows no wear and the hardware for the rate link is in good condition still, so buying a master rebuild kit seems like I'd be getting a lot of parts I don't need and it may not even eliminate the play in the swing link anyway.

So I guess I have two questions:
    1) Is play in the swing link normal?
    2) Can I buy just a few pieces through the dealer or will they want me to buy the whole kit?
    3) I lied I have a third question... There used to be a hop up kit to upgrade the rate link to the newer style with 4 cartridge bearings, it's not on the Yeti website, does that mean it's no longer available?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well I got a couple of questions answered on the phone today:

1) The 2 dealers nearest me don't stock any hardware and said it would be faster to order through Yeti.
    2) The 800-278-6909 number on Yeti's website doesn't work. Anybody have a number besides the long distance #?
    3) They eyelet in the frame for the 7" travel setting is slightly ovalized, I know these had a problem with ovalizing the eyelet in the 6" setting that was corrected with the next production batch after mine, but I never heared of any problems with the 7" setting. Any chance Yeti will give me new frame under warranty 3 years later?

www.yetifan.com
    The UK importer has the short link upgrade, so I am thinking its still available. Email yeti and they will tell you. Its a straight easy fit.

I have an 03, (first batch) and it has no play in the swing link.(dong bone)

Sounds like you need a rebuild kit, they are available on the yeti store, and come with just bearings, or all the parts you'll ever need. Although the short link comes with 4 bearings, so your likely to double up. Yeti could probably sell you just the part you need. Infact, I think I may have a spare pin in my box of pivots and crap.

Andrew