mtbr member
    Mar 2004

AS-X / E.13 SRS / 73mm bb E Type...Help.

Greetings,

This one if for all you '03 - '06 AS-X owner's with a E.13 SRS chain tensioner.

1. Did you use the bottom bracket that came with your rig?
    If so, have you had chainline, fit, or installation issue?

2. Did you have to buy a 73mm E Type bottom bracket?

I just bought a SRS and was caught off guard when I was informed that the 68mm (E) / 73mm Truvativ bottom bracket I currently have won't work and need to buy a 73 (E) Type bottom bracket (allows for the 2.5mm spacing of the ISCG adaptor plate).

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for your time,

J

mtbr member
    There's a very good chance the stock BB will work.place the ISCG plate on the BB with the flange facing inward so the guide packplate would be as close as possible to the frame. Chances are there will be sufficient clearance on the left side crank/swingarm. Yes the chainline will be scooted over by 2.5mm or so (the thickness of the ISCG adapter) but it will probably work fine, otherwise a newer style ISIS bb will work too as they all now come with a removable 2.5mm alloy spacer.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Results...

I went ahead and installed the chainguide. Krispy, thanks for the input, and that is exactly what I did. It was uncanny how the upper back plate fit into a perfect negative space next to the rear swing arm. Spot on advice.

All went well except for the back plate that kept rotationally sliding on the ISCG plate, regardless of bolt torque applied. So, I installed one spacer on each mounting location between the back plate and the ISCG. The rotation stopped, however this moved the back plate out too far and caused rubbing on the granny gear mounting tabs. I dremeled those down with success, but the super charger and lower inticator weren't flush. It just wasn't right.

So, after disassmbling, I placed a piece of sandpaper at each mounting point to see if the rotation would stop. It did, but the supercharger and indicator were again not flush, but in the opposite direction (just baaarely). This is an '02 - '05 SRS, which doesn't come with gold fine tuning spacers like the '06 (per e.13 website). I think that will be the ticket, however the set up is acceptable in the short term. Too bad the paper won't last long.

Final note, I have a DH Truvative BB. The threads of it wouldn't fit through the ISCG plate. Strange. I used my xc gigapipe whatever the heck it is.

Hope this helps others who attempt this install. Have fun and be patient.