mtbr member
    Mar 2004

AS-X + 66 Light or RC2X?

I'm considering selling my Shiver to make my AS-X a little more trail worthy, and less DH-specific. I want to retain as much of it's DH stability but would like to actually be able to take it on XC-ish rides without dying. Keep in mind I did a 25-mile, 4000 vert loop on it last fall WITH the Shiver in Park City, and almost died. But it was still fun.

Anyway I'm getting some lighter rims/tires, but really think a 66 would round out the package nicely. Now the question is, which is more important: ETA (66 Light) or bottom-out control (66 RC2X)? I'm 160lbs and pretty stupid on a bike, FYI.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good idea to me! I was also considering 66 for mine ASX. I'd go with ETA because I do some climbing (that's why I went with boxxer Ride in the end) but if you drop big stuff than bottom out control would be nice. So maybe 66 SL ? Lightest of all and you could set the travel to 150mm for trips with climbing... don't know about X daping , but I guess it does not have it... anyway if i were to buy 66 for ASX, I'd most probably go with SL. an that's how my do-it-all ASX looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    If you intend to use your bike for long xc-ish rides. i would recommend the SL because it is sub 6 lbs plus you can set the travel to 150mm by adjusting the negative air pressure. I just got the RC2X last week and used in on a XC-ish 20 mile ride last Sunday and all I can say that it's harder/slower to climb on long & flat fire roads. On uphill technical trails its easier because it's more plush the the Z1FR3 even if the HA is slackened by 1 more degree.

I still intend to keep my Z1FR3 for XC-ish rides and use the 66RC2X for more DH oriented rides.

I

i like cheese.
    Crap, now I want an ASX...

Stray Bullet
    If you want a DH worthy AS-X that can climb. The 66 light makes the most sense. The X in the RC2X is high speed compression.

I just picked up my 66RC2X yesterday from Marz. It will be on this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice Naga! Can't wait to hear how you like it.

I'm not too stoked on going all air w/ the SL so am definitely leaning towards the Light ETA. I can't imaginge that the SL is as plush and/or drop-worth as the other two versions. This is still going to be my DH-oriented bike; I've got a hardtail I can suffer with on longer climbs, etc. But I'd like to be able to bust out 10-15 mile rides after work around SLC on the Yeti from time to time.

GoRz that Ride looks sweet but to be honest I have a hard time putting money towards any fork company other than Zoke...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    GoRz that Ride looks sweet but to be honest I have a hard time putting money towards any fork company other than Zoke...
    thank you The old RS were somewhat troublesome, but I've had a Pike for a season and the only thing I did was oil change and general cleaning of internals after 9 months (the old oil was still pretty clean), so I hope Ride will be also good. Plus I like U-turn more than ETA and I had Ride cheaper than i could have 66...
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    thank you The old RS were somewhat troublesome, but I've had a Pike for a season and the only thing I did was oil change and general cleaning of internals after 9 months (the old oil was still pretty clean), so I hope Ride will be also good. Plus I like U-turn more than ETA and I had Ride cheaper than i could have 66...
    Yep while I love ETA I got to ride a 36 Talas the other day and it was another world having full travel/active fork at the min. setting...same with RS right? And their new 07 line looks siiiick.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I'm considering selling my Shiver to make my AS-X a little more trail worthy, and less DH-specific. I want to retain as much of it's DH stability but would like to actually be able to take it on XC-ish rides without dying.
    Might check out this thread. Its huge and has content from the last 4 months, but the new RS big travel forks (Lyric & Totem) sure look like they could be a serious threat to the 66 Light.

mtbr member
    Yep while I love ETA I got to ride a 36 Talas the other day and it was another world having full travel/active fork at the min. setting...same with RS right? And their new 07 line looks siiiick.
    U-turn in Ride and Pike provides only 45mm of travel adjustment, but the rest of the travel is fully active. 140-95mm adjustment in Pike was enough for me for steep climbes but I'm afraid that winding Ride down to 130mm will be not wnough for some of them... will see, haven't taken it to the real mountains yet.

RS '07 line seems to be very tempting, Totem with 40mm upper stanchions, bit modified Mission Control damping, making use of this 1.5" steerer tube on ASX mmm If I had the cash I'd go for Totem Air U-turn, to save weight and have travel adjustability...

http://www.dropmachine.com/media/sho...21/limit/views
    http://www.dropmachine.com/media/sho.../19927/cat/521
    http://www.dropmachine.com/media/sho.../19934/cat/521

... but on the other hand... Ride is more than I need...
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member

66 lite

word

I love the ETA. since it's a zoke it has really great bottoming control even without the X damper. The lite does use some air so it has a funny topped out feel at 2mph in the parking lot but feels absolutely great at any trail speed.

I have mine all chopped and lowered with tte 24" wheel so i really need the ETA. The RC2X would ultimately have the best ride but i can't imagine needing better performance than the lite has.
    Giant Reign Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP/ Rockshox Revelation
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    word
    I love the ETA. since it's a zoke it has really great bottoming control even without the X damper. The lite does use some air so it has a funny topped out feel at 2mph in the parking lot but feels absolutely great at any trail speed.

I have mine all chopped and lowered with tte 24" wheel so i really need the ETA. The RC2X would ultimately have the best ride but i can't imagine needing better performance than the lite has.
    Right on, thanks Krispy. My bike is actually at your shop right now getting new rims, and going from 24" to 26" rear I woulda kept the 24", but my real trail bike is no longer in UT so I need the AS-X to be a bit more uphill-worthy.

mtbr member
    I run my ASX with the 66SL and have hit 20ft stepdowns without a problem. Infact, the ramp up effect of the air chambers give the fork a bottomless feel. It is as plush as any coil zocchi I have tried and suits the bike really well. It feels very similar to the Van RC2 once broken in, though it is a bit sticky to begin with.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    tell me krispy:

In the new 74 post mount for the 66 series, you use the same adapter as the manitou 20mm through axel?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    tell me krispy:

In the new 74 post mount for the 66 series, you use the same adapter as the manitou 20mm through axel?
    Yup. I went from a Manipoo Breatout+ to 66RC2X this week. Adaptor worked perfectly.