mtbr member
    Mar 2004

AS-X and '07 66RC2 ETA

Well I'm excited so what the hell I'm posting this in a few spots (xpost from RM). So I wanted this to have its own Yeti thread

So I'd promised myself not to make any more bike-related purchases for the season, since ski season is just about here and that sport is almost as expensive as biking. But with great weather in the desert this past weekend, I got suckered into wanting one last upgrade to ride before the season ended (in Fruita). I stopped by the local shop, Go-Ride, where the excellent staff happened to have a brand new '07, 180mm travel 66rc2 eta hanging on the wall. It didn't take much to sell me.

I could go into all kinds of detail, but no need to really. I'd ridden a friends '06 rc2x around a bit, jumped it, and the new one felt even better. Amazing. Plush. Plush. Plush. But I never bottomed the thing, even while hitting a double step-down line in Grand Junction (a 12-foot gap to a berm then 17-foot gap). It was just smooov. Better riding than my Shiver DC it replaced, and it felt just as stiff, if not stiffer. And zero break-in period, it was just good to go right off the dealer floor. I work in the outdoor industry, so don't buy a whole lot of things at retail pricing. But I did in this case, and it was worth every last penny. So unbelievably stoked on this thing. Mucho thanks to Marz and the guys down at Go-Ride.

Ami Schwein
    Congrats! Duuuuude I gotta get me one of those! Whats the A-C on it?
    Wait until Spring Bandini

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Awesome! that 66 looks bada$$

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not sure about the a-c height, altho surprisingly pretty similar my old Shiver, despite the lower ride height from the notoriously tall '05's. But that's why I got the eta version...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what's the weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Haven't weighed the bike yet but guessing low 40's. Can't find any weight specs on the fork; the SL is listed at 5.8, and Krispy told me that while last year's ETA 66 had air in one leg, coil in the other, the '07 has coil for both. So weight=more. But whatever, that's not what this thing is about. Still a LOT lighter than my Shiver.

Ami Schwein
    thanks for the linky Nosewheely.
    Wait until Spring Bandini

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nosewheely
    Hah, nice. OK that makes sense...Shiver DC was 572mm, '07 66 is 565mm. Crazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here's a pic from the first weekend test ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yo, Sierra-- does the 66 clear the asx downtube okay? It looks like you might be using a Cane Creek Double Xc flush headset... I have an 07 66RC2x and the Double Xc Flush on the way for my Yeti, but started getting stressed the fork won't clear the frame!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by work_it
    Yo, Sierra-- does the 66 clear the asx downtube okay? It looks like you might be using a Cane Creek Double Xc flush headset... I have an 07 66RC2x and the Double Xc Flush on the way for my Yeti, but started getting stressed the fork won't clear the frame!
    Wrong user name but I assume you're talking to me

Short answer - NO it will not clear the downtube. Sorry. I was running the double xc flush on my Shiver and had to buy a Pig for the 66 - right now I'm running the Pig bottom cups to clear the frame and keeping the double xc flush for the top cups to keep the front end as low as possible. Fortunately Pigs are cheap (but heavy)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh crap-- sorry, Summit! Must have climbing on my mind... Thanks a lot for the heads up. Since i'm trying to keep the front low, too, I'll probably end up doing the same thing. Thanks for the advice-- I'm off to order a Pig...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Summit...gorgeous bike and great air shot. I am also looking into an AS-X. What size do you have and do you know anything about the 66 with the air spring, it has white lower stanchions?? Or for this bike is the coil fork better? I believe they both have the same travel. Input appreciated. Ever ride in Durango??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    here's mine with the fork you have in mind.
    i prefer the 66sl ata. adjustability is great for aal styles of riding

jan
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Some bad news

Summit,

The jumps you are at in the picture are gone now. All bulldozed to make room for more houses and condos. Bummer, I built most of them!
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com