Hi!!!

No good WTF....maybe my Yeti is too hairy (goathead Passion)

So my Yeti has been sitting idle over the past couple of weeks due to two related things....

* Goatheads in both tires.
    * Me being too lazy to change out the tubes (this changed over the weekend though).

However, my damn SS has seen the same trails that my Yeti has seen and ZERO goatheads. WTF!?!?

Are the Weirwolfs on my SS just more puncture resistant than my Mutanos on the Yeti?? Or is it cuz my Yeti is just overly wooly!?!?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Just guessing here, but maybe the casing of the Weirwolfs is thicker... you could try switching the tires to test that hypothesis (if you are over the lazyness that is )

Otherwise, it could just be that since the 575 gives more cushion, you are riding harder through those same sections (goatheads digging deeper in the tire)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Just guessing here, but maybe the casing of the Weirwolfs is thicker... you could try switching the tires to test that hypothesis (if you are over the lazyness that is )

Otherwise, it could just be that since the 575 gives more cushion, you are riding harder through those same sections (goatheads digging deeper in the tire)...
    Goatheads just a little bit off the side of established trails. My theory is that you don't go quite as fast downhill on the SS as you do on the Yeti, therefore, you're less likely to go wide on turns, etc... Also, on the Yeti, you probably ride further, and on trails that are less used (goatheads love newly distrurbed ground).
    Get some Slime tubes or go with Stan's if you're running tubeless... SJ and I haven't had to fix a goathead flat this summer since we tried the conversion.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    However, my damn SS has seen the same trails that my Yeti has seen and ZERO goatheads. WTF!?!?
    Flats are just a naturally occuring thing, they come in bunches. I've been on rides before where 1 guy had 3 flats and no one else had them.

If goatheads are common in your riding area, you really should think about tubeless. I've used tubeless with success, but went back to tubes with my 575 and I had one flat all summer long, and that was a sidewall blowout on a well used Nevegal.

Adobo Lover
    Enlighten me please!!! What's a goathead?
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    Enlighten me please!!! What's a goathead?
    there are no goatheads on the East Coast (lucky you)...
    this is what we have to deal with in summer and fall (they are too soft in the spring). If you run across puncture vines (same thing), you can potentially have 20 of these things PER TIRE! forget about patching, it's new tube time and if you run across another patch, it's walking time. That is why Stan's or Slime is a must, even if you are running UST tires around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my mind, I can do it!
    And the reason they are called goatheads.....

BelaySlave - You are a great american. Now quit being lazy, take care of your Yeti and stop going to the dark side.

Who is John Galt?
    Ouch! Glad I ride in the Midwest most of the time. Hey, I'm riding in Texas (Austin) in December, any of these nasties there? In Las Vegas in February. And next summer going to Santa Fe, plan to ship the Yeti that way. I'm gussing by that time I better have some Stan's in the tubes?

Something that might be happenin, this summer I picked up a thorn that broke off inside and out. It left just enough in the tire that when I put some weight on it it caused a tiny puncture, the kind that doesn't flat till the next day. It happened enough times that I really turne dhte tire inside out to look, finally got it to show. I was about ready to pitch the tire.
    What, me hurry?

Positive Vibe Technician

no goatheads in austin, but...

....there are prickly pear & mesquete thorns. Go tubeless w/ stans. keep enough in there so you can hear it slosh around.
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough