mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Wow...Rotating wheel weight accounts for nearly 10 lbs on my aluminum SB-95 Race

It's fairly obvious that wheels and tires for a 29er are going to be heavy, but the full impact of that didn't hit me until last night when I decided to actually weigh these components just for fun:

• Front wheel w/rotor = 1047 grams
    • Rear wheel w/rotor + SLX 11-36 HG81 cassette = 1518 grams
    • Front tube = 176 grams
    • Rear tube = 178 grams
    • Front tire (Maxxis Ardent 2.4) = 839 grams
    • Rear tire (Maxxis Ikon 2.2) = 619 grams

Total = 4377 grams (9.6 lbs)

The entire bike with HT AE-01 pedals was 30 pounds, 12 ounces (30.75 lbs). With rotating wheel weight accounting for nearly one-third of the total bike weight, once I decide to start upgrading, this will be the first place that I look:

• light-bicycle.com wide 29er carbon rims -> 60 grams lighter each
    • 60 grams of sealant -> 117 grams lighter each (I'm assuming that one layer of Gorilla tape will approximately equal the current rim strip)
    • 600 gram tires for less technical riding -> 258 grams savings

Those changes alone would save 612 grams (1.35 lbs) in the most advantageous area of a bike to shed weight.
    Last edited by savechief; 06-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Great info. I did not realize they accounted for that much. Wheels will be the first thing I upgrade as well. Would be nice to cut about 2 to 3 lbs off just in the wheels. Talk about fast and nimble

mtbr member
    Why not just go tubeless now? The benefit isn't only weight, but the ability to run lower pressures for a bigger contact patch, lower rolling resistance, and a better overall ride...

mtbr member
    Wheels are the single biggest upgrade you can on any bike. I would much rather ride XT with carbon wheels than XTR with AL.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012

Re: Wow...Rotating wheel weight accounts for nearly 10 lbs on my aluminum SB-95 Race

Xt cassette is on sale at jenson for $80, i think that'll save you another 60g or so.

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Why not just go tubeless now? The benefit isn't only weight, but the ability to run lower pressures for a bigger contact patch, lower rolling resistance, and a better overall ride...
    I do plan on going tubeless as soon as I sort through this monster:
    Best Tubeless Brew?

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Xt cassette is on sale at jenson for $80, i think that'll save you another 60g or so.
    When I ultimately have to replace the cassette, I'll likely go with an XT, but the cost/benefit (I thought it was more like 350g vs. 380g, so a 30g saving) ratio just isn't there for me to dump a perfectly good SLX cassette. Plus, the mass savings is all close to the axis of rotation of the wheels, so it's not nearly as noticeable.

Bikes!
    Reading this spurred me on to weighing mine last night so just for some reference:

Front:

Mavic Crossmax ST 15mm
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo PaceStar 2.25
    Stans NoTubes sealant
    Hope 183mm Floating Disc

= 3.7lbs

Rear:

Mavic Crossmax ST 142mm
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo SnakeSkin PaceStar 2.25
    Stans NoTubes Sealant
    XTR 36-11T Cassette
    Hope 183mm Floating Disc

= 4.7 lbs

8lbs in total but I don't think I'd want to go lighter than this setup at 227lbs myself!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One thing to note is that going to narrower tires makes the bike roll slower. So although you will save weight, it may end up slowing the bike down in the long run. If you are just going to a lighter duty tire in the same width for less aggressive riding, though, you have nothing to lose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This term "Rotating Weight" seems like a misnomer. If you said "Wheel with stuff attached to wheels" that would be one thing. But I don't think the "Rotating Weight" should include those things close to the center of the circle.
    A heavy rim and tire and tube are all significant scale weights while also affecting acceleration, deceleration and handling because they're on the outside of a giant merry-go-round.
    The hubs, rotors and cassette however are barely a consideration in the "Rotating" element of that equation. Though they are heavy bricks to haul uphill, you will likely not notice how difficult it is to accelerate with a heavy cassette like you will with a heavy tire.
    Just sayin.

mtbr member
    On the other hand, a heavier wheel makes you stronger. And a heavier rim is usually more resilient. Unless these new carbon rims come down in price, the best durable and affordable option that is also decently weighted is a tubeless rim and tire, with little or no tubeless sealant.
    Hubs - sealed bearings or not. That is the question.