Fall Branch Felon

Woohooo! Just got my first Yeti!

.............and my first dual suspension bike, for that matter.

I've always owned hardtails for the last decade I've been mtn. biking..............Giant, then a Schwinn, then a Specialized, and now an Ibis. I decided to give the Ibis a vacation, and only break it out for the races.

I never knew how efficient a dualie could be. I was in such fear of them bobbing, and being horrible on climbs. I wish I had bought one a long time ago.

The guy was asking $800, and I actually got it for $650. It was barely ridden from what I can tell. All my buddies are telling me I'm going to hell for stealing it so cheap.

It's mostly an XT groupo, with the exception of an XTR rear der., and Avid mechanicals. I swapped out the Race Face straight bar for a and ARC carbon riser, and I have some Hope minis on the way, as well as a WTB seat, and Thomson stem.

(If anyone wants the RF bar, it's the 23inch one that's only 135 grams.....I'll sell it cheap)

Here she is.............

XTR rear der
    XT front der, crankset, cassette, chain, and shifters
    WTB momentum headset
    Avid BB7 mechanical discs -- Hope minis on the way
    Mavic Crossride wheels - IRC Mythos tires
    Rock Shox Duke Race fork
    Fox Float RC rear shock
    Thomson seatpost and Thomson stem on the way
    Yeti ARC carbon riser
    Avocet o2 seat - WTB Rocket V on the way
    Time ATAC alu. pedals -- maybe switching to some Frogs I was given.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toydeluxe; 05-28-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Uncle

Nice rig, but how does it fit?

Have you made cockpit adjustments to it yet? Asking because it looks like the cockpit has the rider set very far forward -- long stem & forward shifted seat on a straight seat post. Should climb really well in it's current fit, but if it starts to feel a bit twitchy in descents, try moving the seat back 1/4 to 1/2", and either going a bit shorter on the stem, or rolling the bars back towards the rider a bit. Riding far forward can be hell on the knees, so this adjustment should help balance out the work load on your legs too.

Enjoy, and do report back on your coming experience with it.

105mm

ps- that ARC bar is nice, eh? did you get the deal on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    sweeet. Welcome to the Tribe.

Hi!!!
    $650?!?!?!!? Was the guy selling it a dumbass!?!?!?

Awesome....congrats on becoming a member of the Tribe!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Fall Branch Felon
    Yeah, 105, you're probably right about the foward effects.

2 days after I bought it, I brought it with me to the 12hrs.of Tsali race. The bike was awesome for the race.
    I hate that POS Rock Shox fork, and it took 3 laps to finally get it dialed in, but otherwise, the bike performed flawlessly.
    We rode in pouring rain through the day and night, and I didn't have any of the problems the rest of the racers had.

The only problem really............my hands hurt throughout the entire race.

The bike currently has an Easton 120mm 0degree stem, and I have a 110mm 5degree Thomson on it's way.
    I'm hoping that lifting the front bars, and bringing them back a hair will get me a tad more upright, and reduce some of the weight on my palms.

We'll see how the seat rails are in relation to that Avocet seat, and I'll have to do some "fanagling" there. Surprisingly, for a cheapy old school Avocet seat, it was pretty dang comfy.

Feel free to offer any more suggestions, everyone.

I'm still looking into cheap ways to make it a tad lighter. If I remember correct, we weighed it right around 27lbs. I thought that wasn't bad for a dualie, but on the heavy side compared to others I've seen on this site with some of the same component groupos. I'm assuming that some of it might have to do with the older model frame.

Fall Branch Felon
    Oh, by the way.............

The guy even threw in some extra Michelin tires (slightly used), and a BRAND NEW, extra XT cassette and chain.

Heck yeah!

SlimYeti
    A steal is right! I would have snatched that up for the $800 he was originally asking. Could I ask where you found it? Anyway, enjoy it!

Fall Branch Felon
    Locally
    "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite