mtbr member

will YETI shrten the SB6c chain stay?

a year a go when I bught my new bike, I wanted to buy the SB6c.
    but when found out what the chain stay length is....
    I went and bought a new SB66c. an a mazing bike.
    now when Jared Graves went to specelized, even he say that the SB6c chain stay is wayyyy tooo long...
    Jared Graves' Specialized Enduro - Pinkbike

I am sure that more riders think like me.
    if the SB6c CS was shorter, I would buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    how different are they for a guy like Graves? ''The short chain stays are the main thing, but even that was never been an issue when I was deciding, when I was testing the bike and all that,''
    I read that as merely pointing out an obvious difference that doesn't seem to matter to a guy who won the EWS with the "wrong" CS. Potayto/Potahto.

To answer your question, I doubt Yeti is going to make a change to a bike they sell out of and won consecutive EWS championships with. Also, just curious, what is your native language?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saruti View Post
    a year a go when I bught my new bike, I wanted to buy the SB6c.
    but when found out what the chain stay length is....
    I went and bought a new SB66c. an a mazing bike.
    now when Jared Graves went to specelized, even he say that the SB6c chain stay is wayyyy tooo long...
    Jared Graves' Specialized Enduro - Pinkbike

I am sure that more riders think like me.
    if the SB6c CS was shorter, I would buy it.
    The chain stay length is perfect for this bike. It give's the bike that amazing stability as well as the ability to carve the sweeping turns while keeping your speed. The best part is the balanced feeling when your in your attack position which lends to that feeling that you can plow through even the harshest lines and get away with small mistakes because the bike isn't to short. 100 % race bike Geo that even a intermediate rider like me can benefit from to go fast and push my limits.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    OP, have you ridden one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i was actually somewhat concerned about the cs but it's honestly a non issue and hardly noticeable at all. the bike rips. same with the wheelbase. it honestly rides smaller then the numbers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The longish chainstays may make it a little harder to manual but the added stability is worth the trade off, this is a race bike, not a "flickable" trail bike.

I believe the geometry was based on Graves' input so I cant see him not liking long chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i always find it funny that it's such a deal breaker for all of this easy manualing. i ride quite a bit and i never see anybody manualing all over the place haha

mtbr member
    sorry for my English :-)
    I find that a long CS is also not comfort for cutties and maneuvering on technical trails...
    well maybe for a guy 1.80 its less important, but I'm only 1.70... so...
    I still think that the SB6c with shorter CS will sell better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i live in southern utah so tech trails are the norm and i have no problem. most people on here think they need a certain geo because the internet tells them they do

mtbr member
    well, I dont ride the internet :-)
    I test bikes before I buy one.
    and I find that short CS is better for me. and most of my riding friens, tell me the same too.
    I test ride my friend new evil insurgent. (short CS), and wow. it is a really great bike.
    I replaced my DH bike from sunday to the new DHR at 2013, and find that the longer CS on the DHR made my cornering (not berms) cutties and drifting bad...
    I sold the new DHR and got back to the old sunday.
    the longer CS makes the bike more stable. but I can set my shock to make the bike stable with a short CS too.
    there is a good resone for bike companies to make bikes with short CS.
    you fell that right when you start riding the bike. (for the better, at least for me)

again, sorry for my bad english

mtbr member
    well, I dont ride the internet :-)
    I test bikes before I buy one.
    and I find that short CS is better for me. and most of my riding friens, tell me the same too.
    I test ride my friend new evil insurgent. (short CS), and wow. it is a really great bike.
    I replaced my DH bike from sunday to the new DHR at 2013, and find that the longer CS on the DHR made my cornering (not berms) cutties and drifting bad...
    I sold the new DHR and got back to the old sunday.
    the longer CS makes the bike more stable. but I can set my shock to make the bike stable with a short CS too.
    there is a good resone for bike companies to make bikes with short CS.
    you fell that right when you start riding the bike. (for the better, at least for me)

again, sorry for my bad english
    It sounds like you should buy the Insurgent and then you'll be happy with your short chain stays. I highly doubt Yeti will make any Geo changes until 2018 model because they just updated to boost as well as internal routing and to be honest this is the bike to beat that does everything well. They have no need to follow the crowded field that is the current trend of super low BB and short wheelbase and CS. Sorry, this bike will not make you happy so you need to find a different bike to Manual and tail whip all over the trail but the last time I actually saw people doing that all the time was in shred videos and not on the trails I ride
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    well, I'll just keep riding my unrideable 26er

mtbr member
    well, I'll just keep riding my unrideable 26er
    What I find odd is that you say how much the short CS is important to you and your friends when the CS length between the Evil and the Yeti is only 12mm. The BB height is also the same if you ride in the low setting on the Evil flip chip and to be honest that's the rideable setting for trail use unless your DH / Park riding. I just looked at the numbers on both sites running the 160mm fork. The wheelbase is is only 13mm difference. So I guess if the Insurgent was such a kick ass bike then the SB6c must be much more kick ass because I can guarantee you the evil won't climb at even 80% the efficiency of the Yeti and I realize I haven't ridden the Insurgent but I can base this opinion on the people who have and what they say. You need to test ride the bike to know what it really feels like instead of being a spreadsheet warrior and looking at only numbers.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Skin,
    the Insurgent is great for going down the trails, didnt say its good for climb, and didnt ry it on climb.
    the YETI is a great climber, my SB66c have a coil shock, without any lock, and it pedals great uphill.
    12mm different is hugh in my opinion, and I say that after trying different CS lenghts on different bikes.
    the YETI SB6c is a great bike for sure. but for me, I wish it had a shorter CS.

mtbr member
    Fair enough Saruti. Maybe you'll find yourself riding the next generation Yeti if they design the bike with what you want. I know you'll be happy with the Insurgent or maybe even a YT Capra so just ride a bunch of bikes and make your choice. Good luck my friend and happy riding :-)

mtbr member
    :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i actually owned an insurgent and it feels longer riding then the 6c. it climbs worse and descends worse then the 6c.