mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why no love for the Yeti DJ?

Looks like a very sweet rig, but I don't see any discussions here or on the Urban/DJ boards. I did a search and didn't really find anything. I've always wanted a Yeti, and they list a complete single front ring bike with Pike fork for $1779. Any input on this steed?

http://www.yeticycles.com/Bikes/BikesDJ.cfm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems like a very solid bike but there are very few (if any) DJ guys around that came from a Yeti trailbike or Freerdie/DH background, that I know of. I like Yetis and know many other people who do but I nor they have any interest in the specific sport this bike is designed for so we don't have much input or feedback. However, knowing Yeti's heritage in Downhill and XC Racing, it can only be a tough and balanced bike that needs more love. Sorry, that's all I can contribute to this one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Seems like a very solid bike but there are very few (if any) DJ guys around that came from a Yeti trailbike or Freerdie/DH background, that I know of. I like Yetis and know many other people who do but I nor they have any interest in the specific sport this bike is designed for so we don't have much input or feedback. However, knowing Yeti's heritage in Downhill and XC Racing, it can only be a tough and balanced bike that needs more love. Sorry, that's all I can contribute to this one.
    Thanks. From the little bit I'm learning about the DJ scene, chromoloy bikes are all the rage, so an expensive aluminum rig is probably not real popular. Many of the cheaper dj bikes are aluminum but the more expensive (and more desiriable) bikes seem to be chromoly. My guess is that people aren't ready to drop close to $2K on an aluminum dj bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, look at the background and age of most guys in the DJ scene. You're right- most may seriously not be able to drop that kind of coin on a bike while we think nothing of it.

mtbr member

Dj

This is my DJ, built from frame up. Oddly enough, I had all these parts on an Azonic DS-1 and was looking for a frame. When my shop picked up Yeti I grabbed one and later noticed that my build was almost identical to their complete bike. Oh well, I guess that means I picked the right parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rosa Parks has just been hit with a piece of chicken.

local trails rider
    Looking at the DJ, I think it would be more at home as a HT 4X or trail bike. Something along the lines of Banshee Scirocco or SC Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Another reason may be that DJ bikes get thrown a bit on failed attempts. I'd much prefer ghost-riding a cheaper bike.
    The sketchier you are, the better you'll look in artists' renderings.

Awesomist™
    I've owned a DJ, and honestly it's one of the bikes that I now miss the most! I rode it mainly for mountain cross and dual slalom, but it also served me rather well in the skatepark, at the BMX track, the dirt jumps, and even a Super-D race or two. LOVED this bike - had a SC Chameleon before it that was also nice but the geometry was just more spot-on with the Yeti. I sold the DJ when I started my own business to have a bit of extra money, and also because I own a Yeti 4X that I can use for the same sort of riding, but MAN do I miss that DJ. Looking into getting another one this winter - fingers crossed!

Bad cell phone picture:
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.