mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Why are Arcs so pricey?

$800 for an aluminum hardtail frame which is welded in Asia(I think) and is a 10 year old design? Does this strike anyone else as very expensive. Is Yeti just trying to milk consumers over the nostalgia of the ARC? I love Yeti and I would really enjoy having an ARC but not at that price. Please enlighten me, why are they so much money. I do have a 575 BTW which is a steal for the price.

mtbr member
    did the dahli lama ask buddha why his statues are made in asia?i know your thinkin aboot that one,

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't care where the statues are made but how much they cost.

mtbr member
    its enlightenment,,,brother ,,just cuz you feed a bobcat chili doesnt mean its gonna **** diamonds

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well aside from the fact that it rides better than any other XC hardtail I've ever thrown a leg over, I can't think of a single reason.

(have never tried any Ti such as Dean, Moots etc)

Who is John Galt?
    IN a nutshell, because they can. I'm still amazed I forked over more than $2 grand on a 575. What makes any of this bike stuff so expensive? But I think it's money well spent.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At least the 575 has a ton of CAD time in the design, the shock comes with the frame, the pivots, carbon etc. $1300 for a 575 frame seems cheap. Methinks the price has nothing to do with it "riding better than any other XC hardtail (sarcasm edited out), I feel Yeti wants to protect their boutique image and an overpriced HT frame helps them do that. The Arc is a small % of their sales now and the rarity of the bike adds to the brand mystique.

GTL
    mtbr member
    At $800.00 the ARC is now about 200 - 300 less than it was when built in CO. Same design, same tubing etc just being welded in a different country - brought in, inspected, finished in that gorgeous Turquoise, and ready for anyone that appreciates it's design, ride look etc. I have had three ARC's - first one in 1992 - and they have all been fabulous - even the one purchased two months ago.
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    you know there are different grades of Al don't you? The ARC is 7xxx series "scandium" not the plumbing Giant, Trek and Specialized use. Supposedly Yeti was loosing money on them when they US-made and selling for $1100.

It's a 10 year old design because they got it right and don't need to constantly 'update' it.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! yeti is from racing,yes it hurts,,,,,,,

think about moto gp riders on factory rides ,they get paid to bust their ass and win on what trickels down to you from racing,its a long process and tolerances are higher on racing equipment it costs more but ,,,,wait for it,,its from racing yeti doesnt make cruisers ,tandems,
    born and bred racing,,,as my mechanic says,"buy the best cry only once " or else bahhhahhhhh bahhhhhh giant ,specialized,trek,bahhhhh

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm just bitter because I won't buy one. After explaining to my wife that the 2500 spent on my 575 was a great deal because of the great rear travel etc., telling her I'm spending 2500 on building a hardtail wouldn't go over too well. I still think they are overpriced and yes I really , really want one.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Go find an ARC frame and see it, touch it - you'll be convinced it is the right thing to do.
    Then....
    Buy the frame $800. Buy a Raleigh, GT or whatever $800.00. Swap all the components. $1,600.00 finished! Next 12 months, gradually upgrade - no one will know
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    ah yes the covert buyswaptradeupgrade ive had all this stuff already plan yes smithers very stealthy,,i here your arc pogieeeeeeeeee pogieeeeeeeeeee you need me,,,,,,

Adobo Lover
    Darn, never thought of approaching the wife that way. Hmmm
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

GTL
    mtbr member
    Also, keep an old cardboard box in the garage or basement - put some stuff in it, don't forget a few bike parts. So when asked "When did you get that?" you can point to the box and say"I had that XO derailleur for ever, I just got it out of my old parts box and cleaned it up - that's why it looks so nice"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If someone were smart they would give the online consumer the option of how the credit card was billed. 400 bucks to beyondbikes is much harder to explain than Mike's Hardware and Sundries.

mtbr member
    you no it gtl,,,,my freind gave it ot me it didnt fit his bike yeah boyyyyyyyyyy,,make that arc look like some navajo jewry,,light as a feather stiff as a board,light as a feather stiff as a board,sack up pogie,,,

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Seriously Pogie, I'm not a brand whore, I've two previous bikes, a cromo framed Mongoose with Rockshox Jett's on it and a Dabomb Molotov dual slalom hardtail but I've ridden a few of the light XC HT's like XTC's, Kona Kula Supremes and so forth. They've got nothing on how my second hand ARC feels to ride.

I'm not sure if there has been any gradual refinement in the geometry of the ARC over the years but basically it looks like they nailed it prety early on and haven'ty had to mess much with the design.

It's not that much more pricey than any other high end scandium framed HT rig from someone like Salsa and trust me, the ride is dreamy. I'm not offended if you choose not to believe me about the ride but seriously, it's like no other hardtail bike I've ever ridden.

The only reason mine is going out the door is because of a too good to pass up offer on an ASR the same age which has been lovingly kept. But I'll miss it.

mtbr member
    alright mountain dew ,,,the chicken is in the pot,

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    From what I've seen the welding on new ARCs isn't as good and the frame now weighs more with the ASR type downtube. I'd buy a second hand one on the bay if I were you pogie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sorry Drew, I wasn't editing my sarcasm as to your belief in how sweet your Arc is. Your quote "aside from the fact that....." contained some sarcasm. That's what I was jokingly editing out. No offense. I'm glad you love your ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You need to spend more time around Australians if tyou think that was sarcastic
    When the folks down here cut loose they really don't hold back, good thing it was just a cheery shot across the bows and not both barrles in a broadside.

Seriously though, I finished uni in 98 work a decent professional scientific government job down here, am what I would consider to be pretty well paid, and an ARC frame costs more than my take home in a fortnight. Two years ago I would have laughed myself silly if someone had told me that you could justify that money on a frame only. Having ridden one for a year and a half, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's just a hell sweet ride.

Eeuurk, I should be at work already...