Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where can I get a Yeti ARC frame?

If they aren't making the Yeti ARC any more and all of the online dealers are sold out, how can I get one? I can't even find I one on Ebay or Pinkbike. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are HT 26" XC bikes extinct? Santa Cruz does still make the Chameleon, but it looks heavy and with a dirt jumper head tube angle.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    where are you?

mtbr member
    U.S. ---> Washington State

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ah... plenty over here in the UK, but they can't ship (as in legally not allowed to) to the US... soz

mtbr member
    Call University Cyclery in Austin 512-474-6696, ask for Mark and see if they may have anything.

mtbr member
    I've been looking for one in size Small for months with no luck.

I've tried every online dealer in the US.
    I've searched eBay with no luck.
    I've searched Craigslist nationwide. I found an XS, listed incorrectly as a small, but that's too small for me.
    I've tried LBS across the country (from Yeti's site) with no luck.
    I've called Yeti directly.
    I've had my LBS call Yeti with no luck. They even looked for scratch-and-dents.
    I've contacted UK dealers, which actually have them, apparently, but they can't ship to the US.

I'm now looking at flights to Heathrow so I can get one myself!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Crazy that people are clamoring for the ARC now - we sat on piles of these things for the last couple of years!

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Crazy that people are clamoring for the ARC now - we sat on piles of these things for the last couple of years!

JP
    Oh man! I love mine so much I was thinking of buying a spare frame just to have. Suppose I should have pulled the trigger on that idea sooner.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on an ARC though...what a bike. Glad I've got one now!

mtbr member
    There probably aren't many of us "clamoring". But the guys who are, likely have been riding/racing for 25+ years on the light, efficient and durable 26" hardtail and they probably have a deep respect for Yeti.

Itís crazy that the two Yetiís that I was considering for next year were discontinued (ARC and ASR-5 alloy). I started riding in 1988, have raced for well over 20 years and this was the year that I planned on buying my first dual suspension XC or trail bike. After my dealer told me that the ASR-5 Alloy was discontinued for 2013, I went out and bought a Santa Cruz. They donít quite have the legacy that Yeti has, but they are building simple, durable, maintenance friendly FS bikes with a good warranty. So thatís the direction that I went.

I still canít get the name Yeti out of my head, but nothing in their current line-up is really inspiring right now (for me). Iím sure there are plenty of guys that want SB-95ís and those bikes are keeping Yeti in business, which is a great thing, but I spend over 10+ hrs per week riding my mountain bike (on trails) and most of that will be on a 3 X 9 spd, 26Ē hardtail because itís too expensive to maintain anything else. Cheap tires, cheap drive train and simplicity.

When I find a small ARC on EBay, I will swap out my current frame and ride it until it dies. After that I may be forced to hire FTW to build me something similar.

Iím not that old, but re-reading this, I sound like a grumpy old man.
    Last edited by LATAH_M.E.; 02-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAH_M.E. View Post
    . After that I may be forced to hire FTW to build me something similar.
    Not a bad plan- Frank is doing some really cool stuff....
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can't believe that the ARC is no longer available. I just cracked mine and now I'm pissed. What do I get to replace it? I guess I could try to get someone to re-weld it at some point but I need a unique 26er to ride around.

Sneaker man
    Seriously, no ARC anymore? Thats rediculous! It's the bike that defines Yeti. I can understand if they moved production back to the US and only did very small runs of them, but to delete it completely, that just wrong.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Seriously, no ARC anymore? Thats rediculous! It's the bike that defines Yeti. I can understand if they moved production back to the US and only did very small runs of them, but to delete it completely, that just wrong.
    Thanks for the post. A few notes:
    1. There is no 'e' in the word 'ridiculous'
    2. I agree with your logic to an extent, but I think you'd also agree with me that things need to evolve (i.e., Ford isn't still producing the Model T, even though that car defined their brand).
    3. Considering how much the ARC has already evolved over the years, wouldn't it be cool if it evolved once again into something even cooler and more modern? Stay tuned . . .

Sorry . . . in a bit of a punchy mood this morning.
    JP

mtbr member
    3. Considering how much the ARC has already evolved over the years, wouldn't it be cool if it evolved once again into something even cooler and more modern like a 650b hardtail ARC? Stay tuned . . .
    Fixed that for ya...
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Considering how much the ARC has already evolved over the years
    I'm a huge supporter of Yeti and I think we all appreciate your time in engaging us on this board. I have a huge soft spot for the ARC and it's 21 year run. I own four vintage ones. I can't think of any other model that has lasted as long. And I agree, it was time to move on.

But I think it's a stretch to say the ARC evolved much. You could make a weak argument that adding a replaceable hanger, moving from 1.25" to 1.125" headtubes and adjusting the geo for suspension is evolution I suppose. But I look at a 1991 ARC vs a 2012 ARC and the only major difference I see is disc tabs in place of canti bosses. Still a badass 3.5-ish lb 26" alloy hardtail from creation to death. RIP.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    I'm a huge supporter of Yeti and I think we all appreciate your time in engaging us on this board. I have a huge soft spot for the ARC and it's 21 year run. I own four vintage ones. I can't think of any other model that has lasted as long. And I agree, it was time to move on.

But I think it's a stretch to say the ARC evolved much. You could make a weak argument that
    1. adding a replaceable hanger,
    2. moving from 1.25" to 1.125" headtubes and
    3. adjusting the geo for suspension is evolution I suppose.

But I look at a 1991 ARC vs a 2012 ARC and the only major difference I see is
    4. disc tabs in place of canti bosses.

Still a badass 3.5-ish lb 26" alloy hardtail from creation to death. RIP.
    5. Completely different tube set
    6. Different seat post/collar size
    7. Different graphics/paint

Am I missing anything else?
    Those seem like pretty big evolutionary changes to me!

Thanks for the nice words about the ARC. I'm sad to see it go too, but I guess every dog has its day.

JP

Sneaker man
    there's an e in it if I say there is damn it *runs off and edits Wikipedia
    It's not like Ford and the model T, you guys haven't made a steel frame in yonks. Its more like Ferrari not making V12's.

I understand it has to evolve, mine has the scandium tube(s) and would be a fair bit different to the original, geometry wise etc. It would be nice if some of the companies out there, especially the ones that have been around for a long time would say, yeah we realise that there are people who don't need a carbon cookie cutter frame or big wheels.
    Sorry it's just the whistfullness in me coming out, I realise that you need to make money and not prolong the non-viable stuff just for me and the 3 other people in the world who want it.
    Would be nice though, if you guys do come out with a carbon (be it big wheel or not) to resurrect another old name instead, like FRO or Ultimate.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    While were talking the ARC model, I'm disappointed I can't by a new ARC-X. I guess ARC fans are a minority and destined for the dust bowl of history...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maybe the bike companies will take a page from the skate industry and produce some limited run re-issues of the classic designs.

I totally understand Yeti's position on this. It was just unfortunate timing as my daughter was moving from her 24" bike and I was going to pick her up a small ARC. As she grew, I was going to swap out the 26" wheels for 650b (which I had heard some folks were successful in doing.)

Last note, I really really hope you are hinting at a full carbon Big Top.

mtbr member
    I love my ARC, and will never get rid of it, so in that sense sad to see the model go. But honestly, I only race 3-4 times a year and don't ride mine that much anymore, and it's one of those bikes I can only see owning if you have a handful of others to compliment it - it's so purpose-built, I can't see it as anyone's "only bike"
    In other words, sad to see the end of an era, but I understand the reasoning.

If you guys offered it in some variant of the anniversary colors (turquoise/yellow), I probably would have bought another, just because, but as it was... That turquoise and white made me throw up a little bit in my mouth every time I saw it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    But honestly, I only race 3-4 times a year and don't ride mine that much anymore, and it's one of those bikes I can only see owning if you have a handful of others to compliment it - it's so purpose-built, I can't see it as anyone's "only bike"
    That's well said.

Let me ask you this: Is the ARC so "race specific" that it's not a good all-around one-bike solution or are hardtails in general not good one-bike solution.

Is the Big Top a one-bike solution?

Would a 650b ARC (which I'm expecting this year!) be a one-bike solution?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the post. A few notes:
    3. Considering how much the ARC has already evolved over the years, wouldn't it be cool if it evolved once again into something even cooler and more modern? Stay tuned . . .
    JP
    Now you've got my attention and please introduce something at sea otter, preferably with the big boots on

Now back to fixing up the ARC for a snow ride here in Munich...

Sneaker man
    If there is none left in the US and the UK arn't allowed to sell them then you could always try pureyeti ( ARC ) see if they have any, the cost to get one may be prohibitive though and they may not have any.
    Last edited by mik_git; 02-16-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    If you guys in the US are willing to pay the exchange rate (£1 = $1.60) plus freight ($150+) to get an ARC shipped back over here from our UK distributor, drop me an email and I'll help you make it happen.

...But at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, please only do so if you're actually willing to go through with it. We've all got busy schedules, and unfortunately, I'm too under water with other projects to spend time on this unless you're serious about making the purchase. My email address is in my signature below.

JP

mtbr member
    If you guys in the US are willing to pay the exchange rate (£1 = $1.60) plus freight ($150+) to get an ARC shipped back over here from our UK distributor, drop me an email and I'll help you make it happen.

...But at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, please only do so if you're actually willing to go through with it. We've all got busy schedules, and unfortunately, I'm too under water with other projects to spend time on this unless you're serious about making the purchase. My email address is in my signature below.

JP
    That's a great offer John! Can you let us know what the total cost would be? I'm not sure what the frame costs in pounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast