Thread: Wheels for 575

mtbr member

Wheels for 575

Here is the story.
    I get a killer deal in local terms on 575 which I most likely will take.
    Two wheel options:
    Mavic 819 laced to XTR
    Mavic crossmax (add~$300)
    I currently ride 717 V brake laced to XTR and am very happy. Don't know about the crossmax's reliability and service is always an issue.
    What do you think?.
    Any other recomendations?
    Thanks
    GB

Bad Case of the Mondays
    819/XTR wheels would be solid. The big advantage is that if you were riding somewhere and blew up a wheel, just about any LBS could help you get back on the trail. With Crossmax, they are a proprietary pre-built wheel (although they are very common these days) and it may be harder to get parts/service on short notice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    819/XTR wheels would be solid. The big advantage is that if you were riding somewhere and blew up a wheel, just about any LBS could help you get back on the trail. With Crossmax, they are a proprietary pre-built wheel (although they are very common these days) and it may be harder to get parts/service on short notice.
    i second the 819/XTR. Nothing like being able to adjust the bearings on the hub using a couple of cone wrenches. Plus, the Shiman freehub is better IMHO... On the down side, your rotor choices maybe limited by the centerlock mounting (unless they throw in the DT-Swiss centerlock adapters)...

mtbr member
    I ride crossmax's on my yeti and love them. That being said, I would recommend the 819's on the hub of your choice (I wouldn't pick xtr, but I digress...) simply because of the flexibility for replacement parts. They're essentially the same rim, and with a proper build will probably be equally durable. Crossmax's are great, but are a pain in the ass to deal with if you have problems.

mtbr member
    I have the crossmax on my 575 which will be 1 year old next month. I have had a lot of trouble with the rear wheel. The hub becomes loose which causes the freehub to come apart. I have to replace the springs, paws and freehub body at $100 plus a couple of messed up rides when the freehub locked and I had to work on it/cut the ride short.

Go for the 819/xtr they will last a long time and anyone will have parts for them

mtbr member

Thanks

Yeap
    My hurt goes for the Crossmax but I know you are right.
    Whats the difference between center lock and the rest?.
    I always had Shimano's (XT, XTR), so I guess it was allways center lock.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Crossmax SL

I have used Crossmax SL for over 2 years with no issues at all.
    They have taken some serious abuse and have not even had to true them.
    The bearings on the crossmax are sealed with adjustable preload which can be done with the wheel in the frame - easy.
    They are expensive though.
    I have used Mavic 819 and they tend to be quite flexy compared with Crossmax SL
    Chaser