mtbr member

Wheel upgrade for SB95c - what are you thinking of?

So, like most of you I have been eagerly awaiting the 95c. I am on track to a new FS bike this summer and this is the current front runner. I am planning on a race build but was a bit surprised to see the wheelset that was spec'd on these bikes. It seems that the XC style wheels are not matched well to the style of riding the bike is intended for, and a quick search around here has turned up less than stellar reviews/experiences.

Admittedly, nearly $6K is really going to put the hurt on my bank account and an immediate upgrade to a nice set of wheels is not likely. I was wondering what others in this situation (if there are any - if not and I'm being too needy then forget it!) are thinking.

A few options I'm thinking of - buy a cheap set of Flows on Stans hubs right off the bat and upgrade to a much nicer set later. The benefit over riding the stock wheels would be a stronger and wider rim. Option 2 would be to ride the stock wheels and upgrade to a set of either I9 Torches or Roval carbons - this would take some saving. I could then rebuild the stock hubs on Flows for a beater set of wheels. I have toyed with the idea of immediately having the hubs rebuilt to nicer rims, but my mechanic advises against it - citing a better chance to recoup some $$ by selling the stock wheels complete.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    King hubs--> Sapim spokes--> Carver Carbon 29er rims hand-built should be under $1500. I've been running mine for a month on my SB-95, and I can't stop ranting about the setup. STIFF, light, easy tubeless setup, and durable. The really transformed the bike!
    Keith in Corvallis

mtbr member
    I don't know where you live or what kind of terrain you ride, but my very first upgrade to that build would be a dropper seatpost...

mtbr member

...it's on the short list for sure but mine goes like this:

1. Clutch rd + Wolftooth ring for a ghetto xx1 style
    2. Wheels
    3. Dropper

Chilling out
    trumpus: the DT hubs aren't bling-bling but they work just fine. Spend $40 on the 36-point engagement for them and call it done on that part. I replaced the DT rims though with Stan's Flow and they've held up nicely. If you're significantly under 200# I'd think you could use the Arch EX and be fine with them. They'll be much more solid and durable compared to the DT rims and it'll be a cheap-ish change.

The DT 350 hubs, are, IMO, better than the Stan's hubs. I like the drive mechanism more. It's just my opinion though.

Then, bide your time for the King hub Carbon rim combo. ;^)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    trumpus: the DT hubs aren't bling-bling but they work just fine. Spend $40 on the 36-point engagement for them and call it done on that part. I replaced the DT rims though with Stan's Flow and they've held up nicely. If you're significantly under 200# I'd think you could use the Arch EX and be fine with them. They'll be much more solid and durable compared to the DT rims and it'll be a cheap-ish change.

The DT 350 hubs, are, IMO, better than the Stan's hubs. I like the drive mechanism more. It's just my opinion though.

Then, bide your time for the King hub Carbon rim combo. ;^)
    I agree 100% about the DT 350's. I've got them on my Niner with the star ratchet upgrade and I love 'em. Super easy to service and solid. My plan was to use them for sure in one way or another - whether it meant riding the stock wheels or lacing them to different rims.

Chilling out
    I rode mine, but over the first month and change got the parts together (spokes & rims) to replace the stock rims with Stan's. Much more fiscally responsible. ;^)

mtbr member
    I have Stan's Arch rims on the DT 350 Spline hubs and find it hard to imagine anything stiffer. I'm not sure who would buy those XR400 rims, and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability (Yeti gets the rims for cheap I bet). I would go with the Stan's Arch if your under 185, and Flow's if over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    I'm not sure who would buy those XR400 rims, and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability
    I tried not to, but can't resist posting to furiously agree with this!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Since when do "fiscal responsibility" and mountain biking belong in the same conversation, Bear?
    Keith in Corvallis

mtbr member
    Mavic Crossmax ST's for mine, they're light, strong, stiff and come with the fantastic MP3 warranty program so I never have to worry about them. The only problem is that they're sat waiting here for the frame to turn up!...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm going to be switching to my CK hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes, laced to Stan's Crest rims. I only weigh about 145lbs, so they do the trick for me. So light!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    Since when do "fiscal responsibility" and mountain biking belong in the same conversation, Bear?
    Hmm.

Point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    King Hubs
    Stans Rims
    DT spokes
    Rock solid
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    True - looks like I may have the chance to snag a new set of I9 Torches for a steal...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeparelskin View Post
    I'm going to be switching to my CK hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes, laced to Stan's Crest rims. I only weigh about 145lbs, so they do the trick for me. So light!
    Too light for me (165#) - not planning to be gentle on this bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability (Yeti gets the rims for cheap I bet).
    XC Wheels = Light publishing weight for press releases

I agree with everyone else, these wheels make no sense on a $5800 heavy duty trail rig but they bring the weight down a bit for those big press release days.

Chilling out
    140g per wheel isn't a big savings ( DT 440 vs Stan's Flow ).

I've no clue why Yeti would spec those wheels unless they just happen to be what they already had on hand from the Big Top.

They probably make sense for the new ARC though, for the intended purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    140g per wheel isn't a big savings ( DT 440 vs Stan's Flow ).

I've no clue why Yeti would spec those wheels unless they just happen to be what they already had on hand from the Big Top.

They probably make sense for the new ARC though, for the intended purpose.
    .6 pounds on the wheel is big in terms of marketing, of course not to guys that know whats up. It's the difference of bikemag being able to say the bike weighs 27.5 pounds vs 28.1 pounds (just an example). Couple that with the weight savings earned through not stocking it with a dropper post and it all starts to add up (again, from a marketing perspective). The only reason I don't think it's because it's just a wheel they have laying around is because they also equip the 66c race with the same wheel. Also, these have 142x12 rear axles, unlike the QR on the big top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I paid $125 extra to get the Stan's Arch EX wheelset when I bought my sb95 complete from my LBS. Please don't tell me my LBS is the only one that does this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    I paid $125 extra to get the Stan's Arch EX wheelset when I bought my sb95 complete from my LBS. Please don't tell me my LBS is the only one that does this.
    That is certainly at the shop's discretion as it is not an upgrade available from Yeti directly. I can only guess that they gave you a credit for your stock wheels, kept them, and sold you the Arch wheels at a discount.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    The shop I had to purchase my SB95 from wouldn't swap a front derailleur, even just charging me and keeping the old one.

Lame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The shop I had to purchase my SB95 from wouldn't swap a front derailleur, even just charging me and keeping the old one.

Lame.
    Then they shouldn't be your shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It'd be nice if all shops offered actual, informed, and helpful customer service.

My experience has proven otherwise.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Then they shouldn't be your shop.
    yeah, I changed "LBS" because of that and related issues.

sad part is that now my nearest Yeti ship is about 2 hours drive away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, I changed "LBS" because of that and related issues.

sad part is that now my nearest Yeti ship is about 2 hours drive away.
    I hear you, back in DC Yeti dealers were few and far between. Now that I live in Denver ~20 minutes from Yeti headquarters I have a choice of premium shops that carry Yeti and know their shit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That is certainly at the shop's discretion as it is not an upgrade available from Yeti directly. I can only guess that they gave you a credit for your stock wheels, kept them, and sold you the Arch wheels at a discount.
    Yes, it is a shop who will work with their customers to get the sale. It's something that good LBS's with proper customer service do. Point is, search around for a shop that will do this. I didn't even pay full MSRP price for the bike and got wheels that I wanted without the extra new wheel set cost.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    I'm now watching this thread with more interest.
    Washing my bike last night.. I noticed my rear wheel already has a pretty good wobble going on. The bike only has a half dozen ride on it and I haven't crashed or dropped it

Chilling out
    Geek, when I got my SB last summer I was truing the rear rim 2x weekly to keep it running straight.

After a couple weeks I replaced the rim with a Stan's Flow and gave it two touch-ups in 7 months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    These rims don't stay true on my big top (although probably appropriate for the frame). Can't imagine them on a 95. It really is a poor selection by yeti.

mtbr member

I assume I know the answer to this, but do we, as the target demo, have any recourse short of buying new wheels? It just seems odd that a $6k bike doesn't come spec'd with solid wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I assume I know the answer to this, but do we, as the target demo, have any recourse short of buying new wheels? It just seems odd that a $6k bike doesn't come spec'd with solid wheels.
    If you upgrade to a strong lightweight set of wheels it will make a big difference on a 29er. I demoed the Tallboy LTC with ENVE carbon wheels. Very stiff and snappy, but expensive. I have King hubs with Stans Arch on my 29er and King hubs with flows on my HD. Never had any issues with King hubs or Stan rims. If I were buying a new SB95C or LTC I would try to upgrade to carbon wheels while making the purchase.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't know what you'd be looking for in the way of "recourse." Your local shop might work with you, or you could always unload the wheels on ebay before you ride them.

I've ground this ax before, but the wheel spec on this bike isn't outside the purview of what a lot of people might want this bike for. They're not defective or cheap. They're decently light, and the 350s are easily serviceable. And the pricepoint on these completes is actually quite reasonable. If they they went with a different wheel, just having additional skus in inventory would probably add some cost, and for a similar price "burlier" would mean "much heavier."

I've recently upgraded my wheels to something wider/stiffer/lighter/stronger, but that's after a year of no problems with the stock wheels. If you live in an area with a TON of rocks (northeast!) or weigh over 200 lbs (midwest!), you're probably going to need to swap them. But for a 165 lb average cyclist riding with some modicum of technique, those wheels will hold up to some pretty sizable drops and a lot of miles!
    Keith in Corvallis

mtbr member
    I don't know what you'd be looking for in the way of "recourse." Your local shop might work with you, or you could always unload the wheels on ebay before you ride them.
    Recourse probably wasn't the right word - I guess what I meant was - if enough riders think the wheel spec seems inappropriate and/or they aren't holding up to the type of riding that the bike is really designed for (because really, this is as much an XC bike as the carbon Rip9 is) then would they consider a different spec?

I like the bike and I like the company. I also like my mechanic who is the dealer so all signs point to me getting this bike. That said, $6K is a huge amount of money for me, so when I see other, comparable bikes, coming in at a lower price point, spec'd with better wheels, it makes me think twice about how I am going to spend this money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I agree that the wheels are on the XC-end of what the bike can do. But from a marketing (weight stats!) and supply chain (same wheels as the BigTop) perspective, I understand why they've gone with what they have. If you're not a big guy, don't ride loose talus all day long, and keep your tires at 30+ PSI, you'll get plenty of life out of those wheels. The hubs are definitely worth keeping, and there are enough good rim options out there to make a swap reasonable enough. You'll love the bike!
    Keith in Corvallis

mtbr member
    I'm not terribly big (~165) and I tend to keep my wheels on the ground more than off. I do tend to run all tires tubeless at sub 25 PSI, but I bet they'll hold up long enough for me to save for a nicer set.

I had no plans to ditch them entirely, and even if the rims suffer, I'd rebuild the hubs to a nicer set. I've got 350's with the star ratchet upgrade on another bike and like them a lot.

mtbr member
    Anyone use the Spank Oozy wheelset or rim? They have really good reviews and they have a blue rim that would look pretty sweet with the silver 95.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Since I'm now ordering the Enduro build the wheel upgrade will be the second thing I do after swapping out the cockpit. Probably just gonna build some 350 hubs to Flow EX rims only because it's the best value since I can get the parts at wholesale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Chinese Carbon fiber rims built onto dt swiss 240s or 350's

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    Anyone use the Spank Oozy wheelset or rim? They have really good reviews and they have a blue rim that would look pretty sweet with the silver 95.
    I thought really hard about getting some Oozy's ... polished ... but ended up just getting another Flow since I had a NOS from an old project lying about.

I've a friend that has a different model Spank rim set on his DH bike and they're super solid. Wheels built nicely, run true. Easy tubeless conversion.

HAHA PWN
    I just got my CCC wheelset (Light-Bicycle) yesterday and was really impressed with the quality. It was a bit on the heavy side @1700g exactly, but they feel way more stout compared to my Mavic CrossMax ST I'm currently using. Hopefully, I can get some ride time this week.

mtbr member

Since I'm now ordering the Enduro build the wheel upgrade will be the second thing I do after swapping out the cockpit. Probably just gonna build some 350 hubs to Flow EX rims only because it's the best value since I can get the parts at wholesale.
    Wholesale? Can ya get me some too?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Wholesale? Can ya get me some too?
    If I could I would :-/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does anyone know if the carbon has more tire clearence? Trying to get my wheelset sorted for the new whip on its way. Thinking of going 1X so that could help a bit but I was not stoked on the clearence on my Alu 95. My Stock wheels stayed true but flexed like nooodles in corners. Really need more width, So...time for something woven I guess.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I put on a set of Mavic Crossmax ST's that I bought last summer and had on a Santa Cruz.....couldn't be happier with this wheelset. So bomber and fairly light.

Was in the LBS this week and comparing the AL to Carbon, and there is does look to be a little bit more rear tire clearance on the Carbon. Maybe 0.5 cm or so on either side of the tire...but noticeable.

Dab-O-Matic
    This bike deserves the ENVE AM's/I9-Torch's

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Reliable, light, strong and easily serviceable

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    This bike deserves the ENVE AM's/I9-Torch's
    Both of those sets would be suh-weet. I'll add 240s w/ Arch EX. That's what is going on my XL 95c.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I don't know where you live or what kind of terrain you ride, but my very first upgrade to that build would be a dropper seatpost...
    Agree 100%

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I ordered Enve AM with Chris King hubs almost 4 weeks ago. Apparently it's a 4-6 week wait as they build to order so I'll need to use my Stans Flow until then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    I ordered Enve AM with Chris King hubs almost 4 weeks ago. Apparently it's a 4-6 week wait as they build to order so I'll need to use my Stans Flow until then.
    Good choice. I considered enve rims, but ended up going with stans arch on DT swiss 350 straight pull hubs. My dream wheels would be enve rims on DT swiss 240 straight pull hubs, however i'm nervous about building those up without making a mistake. Maybe in the future I'll have some carbon rims.

Root Master
    I'm running I9's with Flow EX rims (the version before they released the Torch). Never have had to true them in 10 months. Huge fan.

I could probably be talked into something involving the Enve AM's though...
    Join the Tribe...