Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wheel upgrade for SB95c - what are you thinking of?

So, like most of you I have been eagerly awaiting the 95c. I am on track to a new FS bike this summer and this is the current front runner. I am planning on a race build but was a bit surprised to see the wheelset that was spec'd on these bikes. It seems that the XC style wheels are not matched well to the style of riding the bike is intended for, and a quick search around here has turned up less than stellar reviews/experiences.

Admittedly, nearly $6K is really going to put the hurt on my bank account and an immediate upgrade to a nice set of wheels is not likely. I was wondering what others in this situation (if there are any - if not and I'm being too needy then forget it!) are thinking.

A few options I'm thinking of - buy a cheap set of Flows on Stans hubs right off the bat and upgrade to a much nicer set later. The benefit over riding the stock wheels would be a stronger and wider rim. Option 2 would be to ride the stock wheels and upgrade to a set of either I9 Torches or Roval carbons - this would take some saving. I could then rebuild the stock hubs on Flows for a beater set of wheels. I have toyed with the idea of immediately having the hubs rebuilt to nicer rims, but my mechanic advises against it - citing a better chance to recoup some $$ by selling the stock wheels complete.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    King hubs--> Sapim spokes--> Carver Carbon 29er rims hand-built should be under $1500. I've been running mine for a month on my SB-95, and I can't stop ranting about the setup. STIFF, light, easy tubeless setup, and durable. The really transformed the bike!
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    I don't know where you live or what kind of terrain you ride, but my very first upgrade to that build would be a dropper seatpost...

mtbr member

Wheel upgrade for SB95c - what are you thinking of?

...it's on the short list for sure but mine goes like this:

1. Clutch rd + Wolftooth ring for a ghetto xx1 style
    2. Wheels
    3. Dropper

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    trumpus: the DT hubs aren't bling-bling but they work just fine. Spend $40 on the 36-point engagement for them and call it done on that part. I replaced the DT rims though with Stan's Flow and they've held up nicely. If you're significantly under 200# I'd think you could use the Arch EX and be fine with them. They'll be much more solid and durable compared to the DT rims and it'll be a cheap-ish change.

The DT 350 hubs, are, IMO, better than the Stan's hubs. I like the drive mechanism more. It's just my opinion though.

Then, bide your time for the King hub Carbon rim combo. ;^)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    trumpus: the DT hubs aren't bling-bling but they work just fine. Spend $40 on the 36-point engagement for them and call it done on that part. I replaced the DT rims though with Stan's Flow and they've held up nicely. If you're significantly under 200# I'd think you could use the Arch EX and be fine with them. They'll be much more solid and durable compared to the DT rims and it'll be a cheap-ish change.

The DT 350 hubs, are, IMO, better than the Stan's hubs. I like the drive mechanism more. It's just my opinion though.

Then, bide your time for the King hub Carbon rim combo. ;^)
    I agree 100% about the DT 350's. I've got them on my Niner with the star ratchet upgrade and I love 'em. Super easy to service and solid. My plan was to use them for sure in one way or another - whether it meant riding the stock wheels or lacing them to different rims.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I rode mine, but over the first month and change got the parts together (spokes & rims) to replace the stock rims with Stan's. Much more fiscally responsible. ;^)

mtbr member
    I have Stan's Arch rims on the DT 350 Spline hubs and find it hard to imagine anything stiffer. I'm not sure who would buy those XR400 rims, and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability (Yeti gets the rims for cheap I bet). I would go with the Stan's Arch if your under 185, and Flow's if over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    I'm not sure who would buy those XR400 rims, and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability
    I tried not to, but can't resist posting to furiously agree with this!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Since when do "fiscal responsibility" and mountain biking belong in the same conversation, Bear?
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Bikes!
    Mavic Crossmax ST's for mine, they're light, strong, stiff and come with the fantastic MP3 warranty program so I never have to worry about them. The only problem is that they're sat waiting here for the frame to turn up!...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm going to be switching to my CK hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes, laced to Stan's Crest rims. I only weigh about 145lbs, so they do the trick for me. So light!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    Since when do "fiscal responsibility" and mountain biking belong in the same conversation, Bear?
    Hmm.

Point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    King Hubs
    Stans Rims
    DT spokes
    Rock solid
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    True - looks like I may have the chance to snag a new set of I9 Torches for a steal...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeparelskin View Post
    I'm going to be switching to my CK hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes, laced to Stan's Crest rims. I only weigh about 145lbs, so they do the trick for me. So light!
    Too light for me (165#) - not planning to be gentle on this bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    and I'm not sure why Yeti is so committed to rims that do not match the bike's capability (Yeti gets the rims for cheap I bet).
    XC Wheels = Light publishing weight for press releases

I agree with everyone else, these wheels make no sense on a $5800 heavy duty trail rig but they bring the weight down a bit for those big press release days.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    140g per wheel isn't a big savings ( DT 440 vs Stan's Flow ).

I've no clue why Yeti would spec those wheels unless they just happen to be what they already had on hand from the Big Top.

They probably make sense for the new ARC though, for the intended purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    140g per wheel isn't a big savings ( DT 440 vs Stan's Flow ).

I've no clue why Yeti would spec those wheels unless they just happen to be what they already had on hand from the Big Top.

They probably make sense for the new ARC though, for the intended purpose.
    .6 pounds on the wheel is big in terms of marketing, of course not to guys that know whats up. It's the difference of bikemag being able to say the bike weighs 27.5 pounds vs 28.1 pounds (just an example). Couple that with the weight savings earned through not stocking it with a dropper post and it all starts to add up (again, from a marketing perspective). The only reason I don't think it's because it's just a wheel they have laying around is because they also equip the 66c race with the same wheel. Also, these have 142x12 rear axles, unlike the QR on the big top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I paid $125 extra to get the Stan's Arch EX wheelset when I bought my sb95 complete from my LBS. Please don't tell me my LBS is the only one that does this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    I paid $125 extra to get the Stan's Arch EX wheelset when I bought my sb95 complete from my LBS. Please don't tell me my LBS is the only one that does this.
    That is certainly at the shop's discretion as it is not an upgrade available from Yeti directly. I can only guess that they gave you a credit for your stock wheels, kept them, and sold you the Arch wheels at a discount.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    The shop I had to purchase my SB95 from wouldn't swap a front derailleur, even just charging me and keeping the old one.

Lame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The shop I had to purchase my SB95 from wouldn't swap a front derailleur, even just charging me and keeping the old one.

Lame.
    Then they shouldn't be your shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It'd be nice if all shops offered actual, informed, and helpful customer service.

My experience has proven otherwise.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Then they shouldn't be your shop.
    yeah, I changed "LBS" because of that and related issues.

sad part is that now my nearest Yeti ship is about 2 hours drive away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, I changed "LBS" because of that and related issues.

sad part is that now my nearest Yeti ship is about 2 hours drive away.
    I hear you, back in DC Yeti dealers were few and far between. Now that I live in Denver ~20 minutes from Yeti headquarters I have a choice of premium shops that carry Yeti and know their ****.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast