Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hi!!!

New question here. What are your Holiday Weekend plans with your Yeti?

Unfortunately I have to work Friday and Saturday and Monday . But I will get in some fun too!

On Sunday I plan on hitting Brundage Resort outside of McCall, Idaho. It's best known as a ski resort, but each summer they run a chairlift to the top so that you can ride on a variety of trails there. It's FUN!!!

This is Hidden Valley, which I was able to clean on a singlespeed last summer....

This is a view from near the top...

And on Tuesday, I'm hoping for more chairlift action at Tamarack Resort which is located south of McCall...

I hope everyone else is able to get out and get some Yeti Passion this weekend!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I've got some family coming in, so I'm probably not going to get to do anything real exciting on the Yeti this weekend. Plus I'm doing the MS150 ride the 8th & 9th, so I've been doing road stuff most of the time anyway. I figure I'm getting in some good, long endurance miles to help me with these high altitude rides that are opening up around here about now.

Once this MS150 stuff is done, its 575 time! And since you posted up pics, here is a token pick of me bouncing off a rock at Winter Park Ski area last weekend....

Stray Bullet
    Wilson Sunday with the AS-X...

Hopefully Sycamore Monday with the 575...

Team Weak & Feeble

Continue training for Jay Challenge

I'll be riding my 575 as much as possible trying to get ready for the MTB portion of the Jay Challenge. 65 miles and 13k feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Buffalo Creeks area Southwest of Denver on Saturday, for a nice 20-30mile loop o' joy. Then, the Eldora Escape on Sunday (my legs are going to be dead!). Work Monday . And finally the Firecracker 50 on the 4th!
    -Jeff

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Wilson Sunday with the AS-X...
    Hey are those Fox Launch knee/shin guards? I've got a pair of those but in S/M. I have thick calves and those things are TIGHT. I'm gonna try to get the L/XL to see how they fit.

Nice ASX btw.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Hey are those Fox Launch knee/shin guards? I've got a pair of those but in S/M. I have thick calves and those things are TIGHT. I'm gonna try to get the L/XL to see how they fit.

Nice ASX btw.
    Yup those are the Launchs. Great pads. I have big legs and they seem to fit fine. They were tight in the begining but have stretched slightly and fit awesome. I've also owned the Fox 911's (they suck) and Roach FR's (nice but really hot).

I've done 20 mile ride with tons of climbing while wearing them and they worked awesome. I did get rubbed raw in one spot but I think that is to be expected for the amount of climbing I did. In normal DH/DJ/FR stuff they are perfect.

For AM riding I would like to get some knee pads. Not need to protect my shins while clipped in.

AS-X is now rocking a 66RC2X. The 5th Element will be ditched shortly for a ROCO or DHX-C.

i like cheese.
    Nothing!!!! Bike Is In Shop Until Next Week!!! ...argh

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magish
    Buffalo Creeks area Southwest of Denver on Saturday, for a nice 20-30mile loop o' joy. Then, the Eldora Escape on Sunday (my legs are going to be dead!). Work Monday . And finally the Firecracker 50 on the 4th!
    -Jeff
    Hopefully my bike will be in Thursday and I will figure out how to put it together and get it tuned so i can ride Council Bluff Lake (Missouri, not Iowa) trail on Monday. You all stay by your computers this week in case I need set-up advice!

Magish, tell me about the Buffalo Creek trails. I set out last summer to ride these, ended up pitching my tent in the mountains near Sedalia and never left. Wasn't the greatest trails there but I still had fun. Hoping to get back this fall.
    What, me hurry?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    tell me about the Buffalo Creek trails.
    Down SW of Denver near Pine on hghwy 285. Its an IMBA designated "Epic" trail, you can read a bit about it on their site.

Its basically a spiderweb of trails, with lots of rolling ups and downs. Great singletrack trails that just beg to be railed. I rode there on Easter Sunday, and we did a 25+ mile loop with something like 4k in climbing without ever hitting the same trail twice. Great trails, highly recommend checking them out.

It can get pretty hot in the "burn area" in the summer, so avoid that if the temps are up if/when you ride it.

And FYI, here is a new map of the area:
    http://frmbp.org/e107_plugins/conten...php?content.13

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Magish
    -Jeff
    Ah cool! I'm draggin a fellow New Messicann (and the pimp ASR-SL) up to Boulder for the Eldora race(s) too. Not enough time for THAT and the FC50 - though that'd be a killer couple of days.

I'll be racing 35-39 expert XC and 30+ STXC FWIW....

glen
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Ah cool! I'm draggin a fellow New Messicann (and the pimp ASR-SL) up to Boulder for the Eldora race(s) too. Not enough time for THAT and the FC50 - though that'd be a killer couple of days.

I'll be racing 35-39 expert XC and 30+ STXC FWIW....

glen
    I'll be at the Tribe Gathering uh, I mean race at eldora too.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    Nothing!!!! Bike Is In Shop Until Next Week!!! ...argh
    Make them give you a loaner! Or buy another one! Bummer...
    What, me hurry?

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    I'll be at the Tribe Gathering uh, I mean race at eldora too.
    Say hey if/when our paths cross.... not sure how to 'know' each other, short of wearing a big yellow hat and waving a flag! Black ASR-SL - guess there might be a FEW of those around!

glen
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Make them give you a loaner! Or buy another one! Bummer...
    Or, get it back abd fix it yerself!
    follow me on Twitter!

I'm a unitard!
    Say hey if/when our paths cross.... not sure how to 'know' each other, short of wearing a big yellow hat and waving a flag! Black ASR-SL - guess there might be a FEW of those around!

glen
    I'll have the same rig as you and starting in the same group as you for the STXC and 2 minutes ahead for the XC. I'll be the only guy with The Big Red S on his kit but riding a Yeti.

Edit: by same rig I mean same color. Maybe we can have a weigh off.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    I'll have the same rig as you and starting in the same group as you for the STXC and 2 minutes ahead for the XC. I'll be the only guy with The Big Red S on his kit but riding a Yeti.

Edit: by same rig I mean same color. Maybe we can have a weigh off.
    Right on! I'm lookin' forward to gettin' spanked - but to have a good time no less. Should be easy to spot ya - I might save the Yeti jersey for Sunday and wear the turbo-orange "Bike n Sport" gear for the STXC. Been a rough 5 weeks of virtually no riding, but feeling OK all things considered. i suspect the CO boys are gonna abuse my sorry ass - but I will avenge later in the season... um, I think.

I'll be getting the full res image soon from Vast of the Angel Fire race picture - but I'll be gussied up as such:

Orange kit for the STXC: (funny - it has a big S too!)

As for the weigh-off, ya mean the bikes or us? haha!
    Last edited by glenzx; 06-28-2006 at 04:29 PM.
    follow me on Twitter!

Rocket Scientist
    I'll be nursing my broken foot. I'd love to be getting some Yeti Passion going on my DH9 at Keystone...

i like cheese.
    Or, get it back abd fix it yerself!
    I would, but warranty = free.

I'm a unitard!
    Orange kit for the STXC: (funny - it has a big S too!)

As for the weigh-off, ya mean the bikes or us? haha!
    Team Specialized - Yeti. We may be on to something here.

How about combined?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Magish, tell me about the Buffalo Creek trails. I set out last summer to ride these, ended up pitching my tent in the mountains near Sedalia and never left. Wasn't the greatest trails there but I still had fun. Hoping to get back this fall.
    The trails in the Buffalo Creeks area are really quite amazing, in number, distance, and even variety. I've only really started riding the system this year, since I have gotten involved in the Front Range Mountain Bike Batrol (http://www.frmbp.org), which provides maps, and "on-trail tech support " to the users of the area every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. This is acually the main reason (as if I needed one ) I am riding there Saturday.

Sidenote: I highly encourage any Denver/Colorado Springs riders to get involved in this organization. Its a great group of bike enthusiasts, and if nothing else gives you an excuse to ride Buffalo Creeks three weekend days out of the summer! It also helps show the Forest Service our interest in keeping these trails open, which is leading to the expansion of many new miles of trails in the next 2-3 years!

Back to the trails, the area is absolutely stunning and the trails are always great fun. The distance you can ride without backtracking (something like 30-40 miles ), is somewhat unrivaled so close to Denver, and though there are quite a few users it often feels very far away from civilization. The trails are kept in very good shape, most still resembeing single track, unlike the Front Range systems. They are also very fun to ride, as untill you get to the very back end of the loop near Gashouse, it is just rolling and fast, with quick uphills and winding flat sections. Riding in the burn area is hot during mid-day, but provides an interesting perspective on the damage fire can do. I'd highly suggest riding out there next time you are in the area .

On a slightly different note, if you (or anybody else) is planning a trip to Colorado, I would highly suggest camping in Park County, the county in which half of the buffalo creek area is located. This is mainly because the number of trails in the Park county area have increased incredibly in the last few years, and some of the most pristine (and hidden) singletrack I have ever ridden is in the area. If anybody is interested, I can put together a list of trails that will blow your mind with the remote beauty, and bust your lungs with some climbs that top out at over 13,000 feet .

I'll look for you guys at the Eldora race on Sunday. I'll be the younger blonde guy, likely wearing a new zealand jersey (its friggen sweet ). I too will be getting my ass handed to me by the top guys, as the last two weeks before getting the 575 I rode very little due to a vacation and a broken ass bike. I'm excited to see the unofficial "tribe" there even if I will be one of the few 575's on the track. Looks like the course is going to be great fun!
    Cheers
    -Jeff

surly inbred
    Well, as I posted in your other thread I will commence vaca on Friday. The plane lands in PC in the afternoon. As I figured, I am now second guessing my decision to go rental vs. shipping the Yeti. Eh, the riding and views will be phenomenal... might distract me enough from missing the 575.

I s'pose this slow easterner will likely be too busy gasping on some real mountains to notice. You mean to tell me you do all your climbing right away? At least the downs should prove to be a rich reward.

Who is John Galt?
    Crud, just found out my bike shipped today, I was especting it Thursday. They held it up because the Nevegals were out of stock. Makes sense, probably need tires before I ride it but still...that seems to be the story this week, I ordered pedals, a seat bag and a repair stand from Blue Sky, everything but the pedals was back ordered. Also went for a new jersey and they are out of larges. Does anyone stock anything anymore? I am convinced that when you order they send an e-mail to the factory to make one. So one more trip for my 4 year old Gary Fisher hardtail, not such a bad thing. It has a Black fork and Juicy 7 brakes. Enjoy the weekend everyone.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    its gonna be raining all weekend here on the east coast

5 x 5

Sucky!

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyed
    its gonna be raining all weekend here on the east coast
    Sounds like y'all need to bust out the rain gear.

I'm riding some killer high desert / dry alpine 10,000-foot-peak-to-winding-singletrack hiddenness out east of LA on Sunday. Probably something Santa-Monica-local on the 4th, before stoking the grill on the beachfront patio with some killer ribs.

Yeah, it's tough being me!
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast