mtbr member

What are you running your ASX at?

Well I've been running my 05 ASX in the 7" setting for two seasons now. I've been doing a lot of Whistler riding and am beginning to find that the geometry is a bit ackward at high speeds. I've heard recommendations of running it in the 6" settings but am afraid that lowering the travel will effect my speeds through rockgardens. Also, I'm not the smoothest of riders so the extra travel helps on drops etc.

Id like to hear what other people have found.

I love my ASX because I can still peddle to the local trails, I can shuttle etc...just hoping to pick up a little speed in the DH arena.

mtbr member
    7" setting is not progressive enough for me, or at least it appears to me that I'm using too much travel on fairly small jumps (6 feet hig or so) at the same time I've got proper SAG. As far as 6" setting is concerned i wanted to try it out and it turned out that the spring is way too firm for this setting.

ASX hasn't got the slackest geo but IMO it doesn't feel unstable at high speed (don't know what speed are you talking about though
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had the same experience as Gorz with the spring stiffness getting too tough in 6" mode. Like you I've been running 7" mode most of the time for the past year I've owned my '05.

I finally tried out 6" mode this spring. I found that 6" mode lowered the BB but slacked out the HA, making it carve better turns, but sacrificing climbing ability if you're taking it trail riding. Also of course the suspension was much stiffer due to the changed leverage on the spring. I rode it in 6" mode for about a month; it was cool, but switched back to 7" recently and I really like the longer travel setting better. I know most people like the 6" better for the lower BB, but the long-travel setting works out nicely for me.

Just experiment with it; the differences are surprisingly dramatic between the two modes; just run what feels best to you.