mtbr member
    Oct 2005

What would you race in the Downieville Cross Country??

So I just did the Downieville Cross Country race on my ASX in a 36lb configuration. It was fun but it was a little too much bike I think.

I have an ARC hardtail but decided the downieville CC course was going to be a little too rough for a hardtail before i went. At the race though, a lot of people were on hardtails.

What would you ride in the downievill cross country race?

ASX
    ASR-SL
    or
    an ARC??????

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Junkie
    So I just did the Downieville Cross Country race on my ASX in a 36lb configuration. It was fun but it was a little too much bike I think.

I have an ARC hardtail but decided the downieville CC course was going to be a little too rough for a hardtail before i went. At the race though, a lot of people were on hardtails.

What would you ride in the downievill cross country race?

ASX
    ASR-SL
    or
    an ARC??????
    The ASR-SL is made for racing... Next the 575 but for pure racing the ASR-SL is probably hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The ASR SL is the one. If you have not ridden that and the 575 back, to-back, they are very different. If it's an open trail and does not have too many sharp turns, it will make less of a difference but for XC racing and especially curvy singletrack, the ASR SL will lose the 575 in a flash. It accelerates and turn far more quickly than the relatively laid-back 575. I would race the new carbon ASR SL- no question

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks,
    I would assume the as-r would make a better race bike in general, but i am concerned about next year's downieville race.

The Downieville course is one of the roughest around. of the 28 miles there is probably about 12 that is really nasty and super rocky, lots of 1 to 1.5 foot drop offs.

I would totally ride a hardtail in general CC races, but the roughness of the course is what i am unsure about.

When i was out there, by far most of the field was on 3-5" bikes, but there were a significant number of hardtails, only about 1% of the riders had 6-7" bikes with coil shocks and 20mm forks like me.

I guess i cant decide between the AS-R and a 575. There is a yeti demo day this sunday so i guess I will ride both.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The amount of time an ASR-SL would gain in the twisties, climbs, and straights will never be made up by the 575 unless you have long and REALLY rough and gnarly downhills. Since we are talking time and not riding comfort, I'd still give the edge to the ASR-SL. It can still do drops and go through technical section. In that gnarly terrain, I would use the 575 as my trailbike for sure but you're not going to make up much time to get back what you lose in the faster sections- and you will lose a lot if you have enought straights and twisty sections. How is the rest of the trail?

If you have not ridden an ASR-SL, you really should demo one. It is very capable on rough stuff- just not as comfy or planted as the 575. At least with my skill level, I would not take the 575 to practically ANY race if I had an ASR-SL- unless it was a downhill/rockgarden fest. There is no comparison between the two if speed (acceleration and speed through curves) and time are your primary concerns.

screamer

go with the 575

I think it depends on your riding style and particular skills/strengths as a racer. Having done this race last weekend on a 5" bike, and last year on a 3" bike, I'd take the 5" any day of the week. I'm a much better climber than descender, so the bigger bike helps me to compensate for my deficiencies! As you know, that descent is TOUGH, and long enough that if you're tired you can lose a lot of time (or pick up a bunch if you descend well). On the climb, I actually had a personal best this year; on fire roads like that I don't think the lighter more efficient ASR would give you much of an advantage over the 575. It's kind of a reversal of the old adage, "races are won on the climbs." This is more like a Super-D race with a fire-road climb tacked on to the front.

Having said that, the top pro finishers seem evenly split between XC and 5-6" bikes (2 Nomads in the top 5!). I'm guessing at that level they're selecting the bike that plays to their strengths, rather than compensating for shortcomings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    its a tough call.... i do really want the perfect bike for the Dville CC.

Typically i descend like a mad man, and i am 215lbs.... i am not a really fast climber. I can typically mob some nasty dh sections on hardtails, but the bigger the bike the faster you go.

My other concern is having bikes that are too similar.

Right now i have a DH9, ASX, and an ARC Hardtail. I am affraid that if i get a 575 it will be too similar in travel and weight to the asx, and an AS-R SL will perform too much like the ARC.

Oh well, I will demo both on Sunday.