mtbr member
    Mar 2009

What tires are you running on your SB95 ?

Where I ride (loose and rocky), I find the rear tire (Ikon) quite insufficient. Yes, I've read thru a couple of threads here and have a few ideas on some rear tires, but thought I would get this thread started possibly for some updates... (right now leaning toward Ardent 2.2)

What tires are your running on your SB95 F/R? What was the largest tire you were able to fit on the rear ? What conditions do you ride ?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    F Geax gato 2.3 TNT, R Conti X-king 2.2 protection

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Currently have Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Conti Mountain King 2.4 on the back, seems to work well over all. Rolls decently too on the hardpack/road.

I've run the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 on the back and it fit, but I got lucky and conditions stayed dry. It picked up a lot of little stuff, and a ton of leaves got stuck between it and the chainstays though. If the rim isn't straight it'll definitely rub the stays. It's not quite as wide as the Hans D, I would not run the Hans D on the back.

I've also run the Geax Sturdy 2.3 on the back, was a bit smaller than the Nobby Nic. It was a good solid tire with deep lugs. Works well on big rock, decent on hardpack, good lugs for NE PA (east coast rocky rooty) riding, except when wet. The knobs have no siping, just big square knobs. They'd slip easily in the wet.

I have my next tires queued up, and I think they'll be solid, they're from On-One. The Chunky Monkey for the front and the Smorgasboard for the back. You may want to look them up as they're not expensive. They're not lightweight, intended as trail tires, not XC tires, as it were. Reinforced sidewalls. Apparently made by Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FYI: There is more tire clearance on the 95c's. I have a Nobby Nic 2.25 on a Flow EX and I can fit my index finger between the knobs and chainstays and even more clearance at the yoke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What tires are you running on your SB95 ?

I am running Ardent 2.4 front and rear.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    I am running Ardent 2.4 front and rear.
    x2!!

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Knobby Nic's 2.25 front and rear w/snake skin. Tubeless on Stan's ZTR Arch rims. 28psi rear and 24psi front. Awesome traction on dry/dusty trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just replaced the stock Ikon with a Ardent 2.25 in the rear. Much better traction and rolls fast. It's paired up with the Ardent 2.4 upfront. Honestly, with the contact patch so large on the 29'er I can't imagine myself wanting to run a bigger tire back there. In fact, I might try a 2.25 up front when the time comes. I'm all about keeping these wheels/tires light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just replaced the Ikon, which I completely wore out, with a Nobby Nic 2.25. I like it quite a bit.

The Ikon was pretty bulletproof... I maybe flatted once in 1000 miles, but the traction left a lot to be desired on loose or wet. It would slip off of rocks/roots sideways all the time. Towards the end the side knobs were hollow shells and it got downright scary. The Nic seems to do better in all regards. I'm assuming it's a bit heavier, but the tradeoff is worth it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    1000 miles? holy crap! I'd love to get 500 out of a rear tire!

I've got *approaching* 400 on a Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar on the *front* and it's almost shot - all the transition and shoulder knobs are cupped 50% or more, and a big portion of the shoulders are completely folding over under any pressure.

*arrggh*

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just checked... just shy of 900 on that tire. I probably rode it 150 more miles than I should have. I still have the stock Ardent on the front and it's doing fine.

EDIT: I feel your pain - I'm really hard on shoes. It sucks.

Root Master
    Running a Nobby Nic 2.25 on the front and a Rocket Ron 2.25 on the rear. Snakeskin for both. Everything in Charlotte turns to hardpack around this time of year (usually) so I'm thinking the Rocket Ron should work quite nice.

In the fall, or before a trip to Pisgah, I'll switch the Nobby Nic to the rear and put a Hans Dampf on the front.
    Join the Tribe...