Thread: What size SB66?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What size SB66?

Hi

My friend wants to purchase a SB66A and he is between sizes on the web site so he really does not know what size to go with.

Hes 5' 7" and the site says that he could ride both a small and medium.

The top tube seems long for a medium bike to me, I ride a medium HD and the small 66 is around the same size. My HD fits hmim perfect.

He only runs one bike so wants it to be able to be good for DH as well as good for 20 mile xc runs

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Please anyone

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks

EDR
    I ride a medium HD and the small 66 is around the same size. My HD fits hmim perfect.
    I think you've answered your own question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes a small may be good with the shorter top tube but the rest of the bike may be too small. I would try a medium with a short stem.
    Also I have heard that when the bike is at full travel there is tyre rub on the seatpost with big tyres (2.35) on medium size frames. So will this be worse with a small frame?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by insanewhisper View Post
    Yes a small may be good with the shorter top tube but the rest of the bike may be too small. I would try a medium with a short stem.
    Also I have heard that when the bike is at full travel there is tyre rub on the seatpost with big tyres (2.35) on medium size frames. So will this be worse with a small frame?
    Chainstays on all sizes are the same so can't see any reason rubbing (if there is any as mentioned, I have no idea) would be any better/worse between sizes.

Also if the TT fits him perfectly why would the "rest"of the bike be too small? The seatpost length on this bike seems very short, but the standover is virtually the same between the two and the med has a quite long wheel base at well over 45 inches.

Anyhow size is a preference more than a science I suppose.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can anyone help measure the reach of sb-66
    I am between small and medium frame
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    Can anyone help measure the reach of sb-66
    I am between small and medium frame
    Thanks

small.

IMO- always go smaller with the sb frame if you are between sizes. Almost everyone runs a "short" stem (50-75mm), and have for years on normal sized top tubed frames.

Yeti didn't need to stretch a medium's top tube to 24.1" to allow for a short stem.... it just made the geometry awkward.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    May 2011

if it's correct, the SB-66 isn't that long. The top tube is longer than usual but if you check the reach, it's about the same

Specialized Bicycle Components : Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO