mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What lube do you guys use on your Yetis?

I see all these pictures of Yetis, with the drive train looking all shiny and clean... Mine (575) has never looked like that after the initial build. What do you guys use to clean and lube your Yetis?

Thanks for reading!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't own a Yeti (yet) but the I've gotten great service out of Boeshield-T9. It's a chain lube intended to be used very, very sparingly and has served me well in a huge variety of conditions and not gunked up my drivetrain.

IMO it is too easy to put on too much lube, and too much lube is the primary reason there's gunk build-up...but i'm not a pro nor I did I stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    White lightning clean ride
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

Mr. Knowitall
    Rock 'n Roll Gold for dry conditions, Rock 'n roll Extreme for wet conditions.

Apply according to R'n'R directions, and you will stay clean. Remember that lube shall lubricate the inside of the chain and joints, not the outside.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I found RnR to be messier than T9, in TX and AZ, but that could have been specific to conditions ( wet+sand, dry+limestone dust, damp+black clay, dry+sandstone ).

WL is great in super dry conditions as long as it's not over-applied. I've seen people put enough on their bikes to gum-up the hub bearings. Blegh.

Also, if your chain runs closer to the tire then it'll stay crappier, so if you spend more time middle-high on the cassette and middle/outer on the rings you're more likely to have a cleaner drivetrain.

So pedal harder, go faster == cleaner chain.

( or I could be full of s&&t, it's happened before )

:^)

mtbr member
    DuMonde tech. I ride in wet/clay type conditions mostly, but had good luck with it all over, from my home turf in the mid atlantic, to sandy and drier terrain in CO, to volcanic ash in Iceland.

It's pretty much impossible not to put too much lube on; true of any lube. Just apply the night before, let it sit a few hours, then wipe the excess off.

mtbr member
    WD 40 -- its actually a solvent, so it both eliminates gunk AND lubricates!

Just kiddin - I like Rock N Roll Gold. And there is really only one way to have a sparkling drivetrain. You gotta clean it. The chain, the cassette, everything.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    WD 40 -- its actually a solvent, so it both eliminates gunk AND lubricates!.
    You started to scare me there...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all your comments --- please keep them coming!

What about Progold Prolink? I've read several good reviews, and here on mtbr, it's the oil with the most positive feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post

Apply according to R'n'R directions, and you will stay clean. Remember that lube shall lubricate the inside of the chain and joints, not the outside.
    I have been running the gold as well, messy application, make sure to wipe it down well, but my stuff is always clean though. I wipe it down after rides as well so I know that helps. Want to give the blue a try but the gold has been good.
    T9 has my interest too though.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    I personally found T9 to lubricate better, keep my chain cleaner and last longer than RNR Gold. As with all lubes, you have to apply them correctly to achieve the best results.

Mai
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post

I totally agree. I am using both depending on conditions

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost