mtbr member

What is the current carbon equivalent of the ASR-SL?

I have an '07 (I think) aluminum and I'm thinking of upgrading to a carbon frame but the newer line gets me all confused. What is the closest carbon equivalent to the ASR-SL in Yeti's current frames? I prefer 26 inch wheels.
    Thanks

EDR

Re: What is the current carbon equivalent of the ASR-SL?

I don't think there is one. There seems to be a current void in the lightweight short travel race category:.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    When/If a replacement does show up, it's reasonable to assume it'll be a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You may still be able to track down some of the asrc frames out there. I would not be surprised if they released a lightweight short travel 27.5, unless they do like they did already with 29 for bigger frames and 27.5 for smaller. I just went with a 27.5 hard tail and the transition from the yeti was super easy. Hope they jump in a little further with the 27.5 for a fs race bike.
    Coqui Cyclery Race Team
    Giant XTC 27.5
    Yeti ASR-SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creeker_1 View Post
    ...unless they do like they did already with 29 for bigger frames and 27.5 for smaller.
    That's the plan I think.

www.yetifan.com
    AS-RC frames are getting knocked out for about half RRP over in the UK and Europe.

There is nothing on my radar to replace it as yet, hope Yeti come out with something quick, as now even the 5C has gone, and TBH an 8lb+ SB75 frame is not even in the same league as an AS-R SL or AS-RC for outright speed and light build.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I don't really understand why Yeti would turn their back on a solid market segment, but maybe they've done their market research and figured 26 inch full suspension XC bikes are a dying breed and they want to shove 29, 27.5 "all mountain" tanks down our throats. Maybe production costs are too high to have a wide choice? That's too bad. I love riding my Yeti but if I can't find what I'm looking for I guess I'll start looking at other brands.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I agree its sad that both these bikes are phased out, it leaves a hole in the line. But, the market is the market. I really doubt they cancelled them after some stellar 2013 sales.

I think you'd be perfectly happy with an ASR5C, the extra travel won't hold you back, it rides on the stiff side with very little bob. And its a 4.75lb frame (I think that's for the medium).

Comp Cyclist has full bikes but no frame-only.

You might try also going down the list of dealers in your state and adjacent states and see if anyone has an ASR5C or ASRC in stock.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetifan View Post
    AS-RC frames are getting knocked out for about half RRP over in the UK and Europe.

There is nothing on my radar to replace it as yet, hope Yeti come out with something quick, as now even the 5C has gone, and TBH an 8lb+ SB75 frame is not even in the same league as an AS-R SL or AS-RC for outright speed and light build.
    Been considering a short travel stiff FS frame for a while after trying a series of aluminium, steel and titanium frames and finding them uncomfortable I suspect due to age and years of riding long travel frames.

Spotted a ASR-C at less than half price from a UK store, ordered, built and two rides in other than a slightly high seat post tube it's perfect, feels/rides like a HT without the sting after two or three hour ride.
    Also my first carbon frame, love the finish but interested to see how robust it will be after yet another muddy winter.

MOO
    mtbr member
    I have been riding short travel Yeti's for over 10 years now. I am now on an ASRC which I love. I dont like 29ers , however it seems that there is not going to be a bike in the Yeti line-up for me when it comes time for a new ride. ASRC with 27.5 wheels( in all frame sizes) is a what I would like to see. Yeti seems to have lost interest in the 100mm FS market. WHY??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    Been considering a short travel stiff FS frame for a while after trying a series of aluminium, steel and titanium frames and finding them uncomfortable I suspect due to age and years of riding long travel frames.

Spotted a ASR-C at less than half price from a UK store, ordered, built and two rides in other than a slightly high seat post tube it's perfect, feels/rides like a HT without the sting after two or three hour ride.
    Also my first carbon frame, love the finish but interested to see how robust it will be after yet another muddy winter.
    Did you use 100mm or 120mm forks?
    Put 100mm on mine but keep thinking of changing to 120mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti rider View Post
    Did you use 100mm or 120mm forks?
    Put 100mm on mine but keep thinking of changing to 120mm.
    I was using X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA 120-140 mm from the HT, but was suffering from numb hands on the few longer (2-3 hr) rides I haved done since having the frame.

I suspect this was due to needing to run a slammed stem with the Velvets steerer tube length and the "racier" seat tube height of the ASRC.

So just dropped some 150 mm Revelations on to see how they feel, which seem ok with a quick spin on the flat but not sure if I will miss the dual position of the Velvets on a climb, see how I get on with the lockout.

Picture with the Velvets at 140 mm position, looks quite tall at the front with the saddle dropped, saddle is just higher than the bars in the extended position

What is the current carbon equivalent of the ASR-SL?-1459838_674786122542585_1219962764_n%5B1%5D.jpg
    Last edited by -jes; 01-12-2014 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    I was using X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA 120-140 mm from the HT, but was suffering from numb hands on the few longer (2-3 hr) rides I haved done since having the frame.

I suspect this was due to needing to run a slammed stem with the Velvets steerer tube length and the "racier" seat tube height of the ASRC.

So just dropped some 150 mm Revelations on to see how they feel, which seem ok with a quick spin on the flat but not sure if I will miss the dual position of the Velvets on a climb, see how I get on with the lockout.

Picture with the Velvets at 140 mm position, looks quite tall at the front with the saddle dropped, saddle is just higher than the bars in the extended position

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1459838_674786122542585_1219962764_n[1].jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	861907
    Cheers for that, i just find some times after a few hours my wrist start to ache and i feel like i'm leaning over the bike putting pressure on the bars, think i'll try some 120's and see if it makes the bike feel a bit more layed back. I only use it as a light cross country bike.