Tribe member

What color to paint?

I'm thinking of painting my ASRc in the next couple months and am trying to decide which color.

My thoughts are Yellow/Black, Turquoise/Black, or White. Thoughts?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    I'm thinking of painting my ASRc in the next couple months and am trying to decide which color.

My thoughts are Yellow/Black, Turquoise/Black, or White. Thoughts?!
    I used to do a lot of automotive restoration work, custom motorcycle & helmet painting (for some big manufacturers), and my suggest is, don't paint it (sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear that).

Technically you can of course, but even the best automotive paint won't hold up to rocks. It just doesn't have the chip resistance that factory coatings do (honestly I'm not even quite sure what the factories do to apply the color and clear).

I stripped my last bike down to paint it before I sold it - took it for 2 rides before selling it and it already developed a few chips that otherwise would not have been there.

There are things you can do to prevent it or lessen the chances (chip-resistance coatings over the paint, then of course heavy clear vinyl), but I myself won't be painting another MTB bike frame for those reasons. Only powder coat, and I don't expect to do that either - factory coatings are well-done. But I don't think that would be a good idea on a carbon frame.

But believe me, I fully understand the desire to do so.

Here is the frame I did:What color to paint?-20130605-_mg_7541.jpg

Tribe member

What color to paint?

That looks pretty sweet!

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of painting. But found a guy that Intense recommends (he has done a few special frames for them), so it would hopefully last a few years. Of course it would probably get some chips in it as you have said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    That looks pretty sweet!

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of painting. But found a guy that Intense recommends (he has done a few special frames for them), so it would hopefully last a few years. Of course it would probably get some chips in it as you have said.

The reference from Intense isn't going to use any different paint than I did - keep that in mind (other than the brand of course, but I mean a paint system from the automotive field). There ARE a few things I would do differently, but just along the lines of a chip-resistant base in certain areas, etc. Like I said, whatever the factories use, is pretty amazing stuff. I had my last frame bead-blasted; they said the subframe flew right off, but the main triangle took quite a while. He wasn't even sure what it was. I'd like to dig into that more for my own knowledge.

Also dig around for clear vinyl film and put it everywhere. I have it on my current machine and it has helped a lot. In the heavy-hit areas, I go with two layers.

As far as colors - design is so subjective, you have to pick what YOU want. My favorite ASR5 of all time is the orange they offered a year or two ago. Wish they would bring that back to the SBs. I also highly suggest putting the factory decals back on it - it'll just look a lot tighter and more finished.

Tribe member

What color to paint?

Thanks again for your comments! It's good knowledge since you've had a frame done firsthand. I haven't had frame tape on here yet (last two years), but will apply if I go about painting. And if I go that route, I'm going to be tracing the current lettering so that I can have new decals made up to go where they are currently at. I like the yellow, but there is something so unique and timeless like the turquoise for a Yeti!!!

I liked that orange as well even though in pictures it seemed a bit more red. Also liked the orange 575's from a few years ago.

mtbr member
    no advice on how to go about it, but this:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/file.../575-anniv.jpg

is the nicest looking paint job that ever has or ever will be done on a bicycle. If I were painting a yeti it would look for the most part like that, or at least be turquoise/yellow (http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/dat...niversary3.jpg is IMO the nicest-looking "modern" one they've done).

mtbr member
    anyone know the paint codes for the turquoise and yellow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    anyone know the paint codes for the turquoise and yellow?
    Two options: call or email Yeti and see if they'll hand them out (not sure on that one), or get the biggest sample piece you can and have it scanned at a body shop paint supply store.

If if they do give you the codes, I'm not sure you could walk into a body shop paint supply store and get the paint; their codes are obviously oriented to the automotive industry.

But, I'm sure there is a way to get both - even if you have to just pick colors that are very close, or maybe even spot-on.

mtbr member
    This was the reply from yeti that I got a while back about the Turquoise color.

Hi Adam,

We actually do not have any touch-up paint here. The color tends to vary slightly between factories and years, so it's tough to match, though the official Pantone color is PMS 320C. It also fades over time in the sun. Your best bet and what we recommend to people asking for touch-up paint is to go to a model shop and get a match to your particular bike. That way, you'll have the exact color needed for all the battle scars to come!

Hope that helps! Thanks,
    Megan

Illuminati
    turquoise is ral5018, yellow is ral1023