mtbr member

What chainguide for SB66A 2x10?

I have a 2012 SB66A with a 2x10 drivetrain and was wondering what chainguides people like with that setup. A friend has the Gammut P30 Dual Ring and likes it but I figured I'd try to get a wider sample than just him :-)

Thanks!

Awesomist™
    I've been running my carbon withOUT a chainguide on a Shimano XT 2x10 setup... I just put the clutched XT rear derailer on it and the friction in the derailer itself seems to be enough to keep the chain from coming off even on the roughest of descents. And by rough I mean like Moab Whole Enchilada kind of rough, and fast. Just a thought and possibly another option for ya...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I've been running my carbon withOUT a chainguide on a Shimano XT 2x10 setup... I just put the clutched XT rear derailer on it and the friction in the derailer itself seems to be enough to keep the chain from coming off even on the roughest of descents. And by rough I mean like Moab Whole Enchilada kind of rough, and fast. Just a thought and possibly another option for ya...
    I hadn't thought of that! You got the Shadow Plus rear derailleur?

And is there a benefit of running ISCG over BB or is it just whatever your bike comes with (or doesn't come with)? Just wondering since there's the ISCG add-on for the SB.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think ISCG is better as it will never rotate around the axle, as it were. Set and stay.

You have to spend 20$ on the splined adapter though as I don't think it comes with the bike/frame.

I put the splines on my sb95 and am running an MRP XCG on it (I have a separate tensioner, the Bionicon). If you're running the "clutched" rear-d then the XCG is a nice bash option to protect the rings.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by barenal View Post
    I hadn't thought of that! You got the Shadow Plus rear derailleur?

And is there a benefit of running ISCG over BB or is it just whatever your bike comes with (or doesn't come with)? Just wondering since there's the ISCG add-on for the SB.
    Yup, Shadow Plus XT. So far it works really really well, just no bashy guard thing. Also, the extra tension on the chain really quiets the bike down a ton: basically by greatly reducing chainslap. It's kind of eery how quiet the bike is now, silent like a ninja.

Disclaimer: I have still had the chain drop a couple of times, but it stays on 99% or the time or more and I'm good with that. Disclaimer #2: the rear derailer I started with was a regular Shadow XT long cage, and would drop the chain nearly every ride. The Shadow Plus has a shorter (medium?) cage and I didn't take any links out of the chain when I put it on... I could do this and potentially eliminate all dropping issues. Disclaimer #3: there is drag when shifting the Shadow Plus derailer when the clutch is engaged, it doesn't shift *quite* as quickly or as crisply as when the clutch is off. But IMHO it's something I can more than live with to have the chain retention capabilities w/o fiddling with a guide. YMMV.

ISCG vs. BB: I personally would go with ISCG simply because I like it. But honestly I've had both types of guides in the past on various bikes and have never had an issue with a BB mount "rotating" or anything. Both methods are pretty solid I think.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

26 for life.

E13 TRS. Only had it a week, but the construction is impeccable.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.