Austin, Texas

Welcome my new baby...

I have a "new" baby at the house. This one has been a long time coming. The progression........

This is actually my dad's 19" Jamis Dakar Sport. We bought this bike and my 21" Jamis Dakar Sport together on the day after New Years 2006. I had started riding a little over a year before, buying a 2005 WalMart Mongoose (that I still have) that I thought I was really dropping some cash on ($350). I was like a lot of folks new to MTB riding and these kind of bikes. Well this rides just fine, what kind of moron would spend thousands of dollars for a dang mountain bike. Then I stepped up to the mid-level Jamis and I began to understand.
    Really liked that bike, but unfortunately I had some chain stay problems and Jamis ended up selling me at a great price their (at the time) top of the line frame with a Fox RP23 shock. This was their XCR Pro Kinesium frame.

Awesome, fast, light bike. Along the way, I began upgrading the components: Terry Fly Saddle, Neuvation Wheelset, Odi Rogue Grips, XT Shadow Derailler, XT front derailler, XT shifters, WellGo MG-1 Magnesium Flat Pedals, Easton Haven Bar, Racing Ralph Tires, Stroker Hydraulic Brakes, Rock Shox Recon Gold RL Front Fork.

Unfortunately, the frame broke twice. After the second time there was a very long wait for a new frame. I finally did receive a new frame from Jamis, a wonderful Full High Modulus Carbon Fiber XCR TEAM frame. I was ecstatic, but at the same time, I had been looking around at other stuff. Then along came this particular Yeti. I knew the second I saw it, it was to be my new 26er. I decided that I was going to sell the Jamis Team frame and go with Yeti, which I had always looked upon with great appreciation. (The frame is for sale in the classifieds, by the way)

It turned out that Competitive Cyclist had this exact frame for sale and I immediately went for it. It has been at my LBS for a bit while I gathered a couple of extras that I needed...a new seatpost, and a new Cane Creek tapered 110 headset. I put the new design Racing Ralphs on WTB Laser Cross Country's as well. The boys called me on my way home tonight and I immediately made a U-turn to go pick the little monster up. My new baby...

I think baby is GORGEOUS!!! I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er as well, and I hear that 26ers are dead. Phffffft! I think I'll always have a 26er to compliment the big-wheeled bike. Only got to ride it around the yard, so first day out tomorrow. YES!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Congrats.

I see no snow so there should already be dirt on her.

Austin, Texas
    Thank you. There will be dirt on her tomorrow for sure!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    very nice....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    cant go wrong with that color

mtbr member
    Congrats!! Very nice.

Austin, Texas
    First ride this afternoon and I don't think I could be more pleased. All sorts of new stuff going on here. The track I went to has a fair amount of rock and rock/babyheads, short climbs, some drops and whoop de do's, a mile long descent, and about 4 miles of curvy, flowing flat hard pack. I was extremely impressed with the whole package. I don't know for sure if the frame is any lighter than the "red" bike, but it is definitely less flexy. It feels much more sturdy and strong. The CTD shock is great...notta lotta switching back and forth from the pro-pedal to the soft...just left it in T for almost the whole ride. Dropped it into descent a couple of times, but man how easy this shock is, and rides. The bike is not as "twitchy", feels more solid. This is also my first time on tubeless, so the combination of tubeless, new design Racing Ralphs, and better rims was fantastic. Two pedal strokes and it is moving on quickly, and it rolls like butter. The last 4 miles on the curvy hardpack can be easy if you are loafing, or it can result in some interesting wipe-outs when roaring through, mainly from wash outs. The combination stuck and felt better than anything I have ever ridden on. I had so much confidence. Loving this bike after the first ride!!!

PS...As I was putting the bike up in the truck bed, a guy stopped as he went by and said, "God, that is a gorgeous bike!" Big grins all around

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My ASR5 came from CC as well. The closeout price was too hard to pass up, and the frame is awaiting a build! It'll be full XT & a Race Face crank

I went for the slate ano, but turquoise pics sometimes haunt me.
    I can't decide between the Cane Creek 110 or the Forty.

Austin, Texas
    One thing about my first ride the other day, I just looked at my time for the ride on my watch. Wow. A little background: Reimer's Ranch is right down the road from me outside of Dripping Springs, Texas, and there is a combination of loops that I can do fairly quickly for an after work ride. I started doing it a couple of years ago during an awful hot, arrid summer. I could not for the life of me break 1 hour. I would pedal so hard in that triple digit heat, but just couldn't break it. 1:01's - 1:05's all the time. One day the temp dropped into the 70's and I broke off a :55. Amazing how much that heat affects you. I tend to run between :54 - :58 on decent days. I have had a lot on my plate the last few days, so I didn't realize until this morning that I never looked at my time from my first ASR-5 ride. :49.02. Wow, I was shocked. The new Yeti shock/frame, tubeless, new rims, new design Racing Ralph's. Nice combination!