I've got a Stiffee

Video from yesterday (AS-X action)

Well I finally got my AS-X out in the dirt after putting on the 888RC. The fork feels great and the bike still climbs surprisingly well. The video is at Santiago Oaks in so cal, enjoy!

(right click/save please)
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/videos/oaksAug20th.mp4

East Coast Style
    looks mad fun. nice jump action.
    id love to launch that heh
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

i like cheese.
    nice. Man, I want a bigger bike to toss around.

How often does that 575 at the end take drops like that? That tends to be the size I start to question...

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    nice. Man, I want a bigger bike to toss around.

How often does that 575 at the end take drops like that? That tends to be the size I start to question...
    I'm the dude on the 575. The answer: not often. I only do those types of rides once every few months at the most. But I do smaller drops somewhat regularly (3'ish range). Haven't put the wheels on a stand but to the naked eye they're still true. DT Swiss 4.1 on Hope Bulbs. The bike itself has held up just fine too. I'm 155lbs.

I think I bottomed out the rear on the drop in the video though.

Moral of the story: I love my bike
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

_
    Mar 2004
    im the dude on the heckler in the video...lbmtb did manage quite well on the 575, although it did appear it got a little squirley on the some of the landings =0) he has been pushing that thing harder and harder, hopefully he doesnt crack the frame!!!

FXrob was mashin' up the 3 b!tches on the AS-X and bombin' the DH sections. i wish I had Time Pedals so I could have tried it out...or wait, I wish he had SPD's, haha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My computor and lack of knowledge kept me from opening this file, can anyone tell me how I can open it and join in on the fun? Thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Pedalfast, you need quicktime to play the video

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfast
    My computor and lack of knowledge kept me from opening this file, can anyone tell me how I can open it and join in on the fun? Thanks
    Go here and download the standard version: http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Co...k_download.htm. You can play just about any video out there with it.
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBmtb
    I'm the dude on the 575. The answer: not often. I only do those types of rides once every few months at the most. But I do smaller drops somewhat regularly (3'ish range)
    I thought these drops were 3ish, but everything appears to be smaller smaller on film. I'm no hardcore FRirder, but ASX with 888 seemed to be a bit overkill for this jumps...
    Passion beyond reason!

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    I thought these drops were 3ish, but everything appears to be smaller smaller on film. I'm no hardcore FRirder, but ASX with 888 seemed to be a bit overkill for this jumps...
    It you pause and sort of eyeball it, the top of that drop and the start of the transition is a little over wheel height. So if you go by that, yes it's only slightly bigger then 3'. But the bike traveled more then 3 bike lengths before it hit ground which is just a tad further down on the transition.

I agree that everything looks diluted on film, but if you pause and go frame by frame you can kind of compare known sizes (small 575 frame which has a 41.8" wheelbase with 5'6" rider) to guestimate at dimensions. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to do it. The last clip in the video has a pretty good angle for that.

That was just his first ride on the asx and he was aching to try it out, btw. But I guess I have to remind him to just stand by why we messed around on the jumps simply because his bike is overkill for it. : )
    Last edited by LBmtb; 08-24-2006 at 07:18 AM.
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    You guys would get a lot higher on that "tabletop" if you preloaded your suspension

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    The AS-X was overkill for those jumps but since there is very little climbing involved except the "3 b's" you see a LOT of guys on downhill bikes at Santiago Oaks. We just found a road gap drop today that is close to a 6 ft drop with a good 12ft of distance you need to clear the road to hit the tranny on the other side. I did the drop although I didn't completely clear the whole gap (not enough speed), the AS-X saved me on that one. There is plenty of stuff where a downhill bike is well suited for at Santiago Oaks. My AS-X is only 39.3lbs so it isn't too bad climbing with it. Lots of fun stuff out there, now I need to bring all of my pads again and clear the road gap entirely......looking forward to that one. I'll get some video footage of that when I do it

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks like fun guys! And that 575 had better be able to take that kind of abuse...looked like it was handling it just fine.

The 888 looks sweet on the AS-X Rob. I think I'm going single crown next season myself - gotta go 66 or Totem I think. Both are only 10mm less travel than my Shiver...crazy.

p.s. nice stache dude. we just had a 2-week mustache contest at my office, it was sick.

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Looks like fun guys! And that 575 had better be able to take that kind of abuse...looked like it was handling it just fine.

The 888 looks sweet on the AS-X Rob. I think I'm going single crown next season myself - gotta go 66 or Totem I think. Both are only 10mm less travel than my Shiver...crazy.
    Yeah I had a Breakout Plus on it before but I also have a Turner 6 Pack with a 36 Vanilla so I wanted to seperate the 2 bikes a bit more.......therefore I went with the 888RC and some heavier wheels/tires. I'm really digging the 888, feels very good and it isn't even broken it yet. I'm really surprised that the bike doesn't feel too raked out for climbing (I got the 170mm 888), so I'm pretty happy with the bike as is right now. Just might like to have the DHX Push'd, I did that to the DHX on my 6 Pack and it feels incredible.