mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Truvativ X Guide

I am getting ready to put XO 2X10 39/26 cranks on my SB66. I tried the XT 3X10 and I miss the XO feel that I had on my previous bike. Anyway, I want to put the Truvativ X Guide on my bike with the ISCG 05 adapter. I read on the MRP website that the MRP 2X is not the same chain guide and that the Truvativ X Guide is made by MRP for Truvativ to work specifically with the XO 2X10 system.

Is anyone using the Truvativ X Guide with their XO 2X10? If so, how do you like it?

Please let me know before I spend the $140-$150 on the chain guide. I have already purchased the ISCG05 adapter.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry, can't help just yet but watching with interest. I've just ordered a MRP X2 ISCG05 for my X0 equipped '11 575 after dropping my chain a bit (rider error more than anything mechanical I think).

I will update once it's fitted and I've had a few runs.

mtbr member
    Hi, they both will work with your X0 2x10!:

"While they look more or less identical, these two guides do have a minor difference. The backplate on the Truvativ X-Guide is slightly thicker than MRPís 2X, giving it the ideal thickness to line up with the cranks of SRAMís 2◊10 systems. The MRP 2x guide requires small spacers to line up properly with 2◊10 cranks, but is also compatible with 3◊9 (big ring removed) cranksets without the spacers (the Truvativ guide is not compatible with 3◊9 cranks). Other than that, and the graphic scheme, however, the guides are more or less identical"

Source:
    2x10 Chainguide: Truvativ X-Guide / MRP 2x | Bike Magazine

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    He is my setup. MRP 2x on ASR5-C with XX cranks. It all lined up perfectly without any spacers. I assume the X0 cranks are slightly different because of the removable spider hence different offset.

The only issue is have is I would like to rotate it a bit more although it will foul with the frame. It work well as is though so not a biggie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I emailed MRP and asked them the above question. MRP responded with, " The Truvative we made to work with only their cranks, so the back plate is made for their chain line. If you want a guide that can fit almost any crank ours will be the best. Both are externally easy to set up and are made to the same quality."
    I ordered an MRP 2X today from eBikestop.com. On sale for $112.00 with free shipping. I will post up in a few weeks after a few rides.

Propr

interested as well

scribing - report back soon.

I've been looking at the Gamut P30 and the X-Guide, but with the info above sounds like I need to go MRP since I'm technically running a triple cranks w/o the outer ring. (2x10 config.)
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

Big Hittin'
    you could go with a gamut guide as well. i have the p20 single but you can get the double...nice guide, im very happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truvativ X Guide-photo-1-1.jpg  

Truvativ X Guide-photo-3-1.jpg  

29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    by the way, the above was done with the stock triple x7 crankset.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I put one ride in today with the new XO 2X10 drivetrain. I must say I like the XO 2X10 considerably more than the XT 3X10. It just seems more simplistic and more exact when shifting, with less shifting needed overall. As far as the MRP 2X, it worked great today. I only rode for one and a half hours in the foot hills so I can't really give it a full review as of yet. For the one ride I did notice less chain slap and the few times I rode over rocky sections I did not hear any chain slap. I will post again after a few more miles. Happy so far!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Answering the original poster's question:

I have four rides on a new bike outfitted with the Truvative X Guide, and I can't say I am thrilled. The chain has jumped off the outside of the big ring twice, once pulling through the guide and requiring trail-side disassembly to replace the chain. Today the guide's outer plate rotated 180 degrees. There is a single bolt holding the assembly together that acts as the axle that the jockey wheels spin on, and then the outer cover plate has a molded plastic tab that interfaces with a hole in the plate that attaches to the ISGS tabs and suspends the device in place. The outer plate is apparently flexible enough that this tab did not stay in it's hole, allowing the plate to rotate.

I'm running 2X10 with a Truvative X9 crankset, so a bash guard ring is possible and might serve to keep the chain from tossing off the outside, but I'm not convinced the X Guide it's self is going to be worth keeping.

When I received the bike I made sure to adjust the guide to Truvative's specs since it was not correctly assembled or positioned as delivered.

On the plus side, I have not dropped the chain off the inside, and there has been zero chain noise from slapping the chainstay. I have the new "Type 2" Sram X9 derailleur with the tensioning clutch too, so that may deserve some credit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

hate my x guide

I throw my chain at least 3 times every time I ride. I freakin' hate that damn x-guide. What a piece of crap.

If anyone has any tips on how to tune that thing, please let me know!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ive been using my MRP 2X guide for 11 months now. I have had nothing but good luck with it. A couple of you have posted that your chain was jumping. I would check your front derailleur as there may be problem there. I have not had any chain jumping with my XO crankset. I also have a X9 2X with a bash guard on my 29er and I have had no problems with chain jumping. Recently I had chain jumping on wone of my other bikes and it was the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    I'll also post a props thread for XO + MRP2X. I've got a decent number of miles in on the SB66 now and haven't lost a chain off the inside or outside and the driveline is 100% quiet. This is also without a fancy rear derailleur as I'm only running XT. XT front derailleur as well.

Is it possible some of you guys might be running the chain too long that are having issues?

--Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had a few problems with mine. The chain jumped off the big ring during the bike test rides and I could slip it back in without dissassembling it which I thought odd. After bike purchase I checked adjustment and found a hairline crack causing it to bend. Bike shop glued it for me (I couldn't prove I hadn't over tightened the fixing screw into the weak plastic post thread) and it lasted a while but alignment was off a bit. It fell off during a gentle ride today. Dealer says they can't get replacement plate with XO paint job and ill need to order from MRP. So now ill see if I can get one from them. That said it does work very well without a type 2 derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been using the 2X for a while now for AM riding. Have replaced the cover plate once - it is not difficult to break this as it is often hit at the same time as the taco. MRP in Oz gave quick service on this. Overall I'm very happy with its performance as a chain keep and light guard. The chain jumped the big ring a few times until the front derailleur was adjusted properly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Snozz, what lube are you using, MRP recommend a pretty short list. I've had the outer plate replaced under warranty for a crack that appeared, I can't say it was the lube I was using (pro-link) but it does contain solvents that will break down the plastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Haven't used any lube, just regularly clean off any build up. I have however stripped, cleaned and repacked the bearings with grease recently. Didn't notice any wear from lack of lube. The washers and bearing centres don't need to rotate, only the jockey wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Snozz View Post
    Haven't used any lube, just regularly clean off any build up. I have however stripped, cleaned and repacked the bearings with grease recently. Didn't notice any wear from lack of lube. The washers and bearing centres don't need to rotate, only the jockey wheels.
    Nzhumpy, just realised you may be talking about chain lube and this transferring onto the plate. My chain doesn't touch the plate but I use triflow lube on the chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snozz View Post
    Nzhumpy, just realised you may be talking about chain lube and this transferring onto the plate. My chain doesn't touch the plate but I use triflow lube on the chain.
    Yeah, I was talking about chain lube. My chain isn't touching the plate either but some use to transfer via the jockey wheels whenever I re-lubed, I take the chain off to clean now as well because I use a citrus degreaser which is also no good for the guide.

Linky about lubes from MRP site.

LCW
    mtbr member

Truvativ X Guide

Finally got my MRP 2X installed on the 575 ('11)... Because of the e-type derailleur, things didn't fit quite right... Had to space it out 2mm (even instructions say not to in ISCG 05 mounts - which the '11 575 is) otherwise would hit the plate holding the the front derailleur. Then had to space the BB out 2mm since the chain would rub the MRP plate.

But with all that, got it working. Jockey wheels line up (running 2x9), no rubbing, fairly quiet, and no chain slap.

Truvativ X Guide-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363146836.021869.jpg

Truvativ X Guide-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363146874.606323.jpg
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy View Post
    Yeah, I was talking about chain lube. My chain isn't touching the plate either but some use to transfer via the jockey wheels whenever I re-lubed, I take the chain off to clean now as well because I use a citrus degreaser which is also no good for the guide.

Linky about lubes from MRP site.
    Nzhumpy thx for the info. I didn't know. The chain lube I use is approved and I don't really have an issue with it transferring anyway. I wipe all excess off otherwise the dust on my trails fouls the chain very quickly. I have however used general purpose degreaser with a chain cleaner device a couple of times which may not be good. Lately I've been taking the chain off to clean it, only to do a better job, not that I thought the degreaser may cause harm to the plastics.

mtbr member
    Please give me review about 2x MRP Chain Guide.

mtbr member
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    I had seen that reviews.
    I would like to hear forum friends opinions please.